Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

GFS still wants to plow straight north through central PA.  I for one am not buying it, but it is a player on the field at this point.

Agreed.  If you parse over, you can see it "coming around" to a better coastal solution.  Not there yet, but I saw enough +'s to not be too worried yet.  That HP needs to anchor a bit more, and things will correct to a much nicer solution IMO.

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Agreed.  If you parse over, you can see it "coming around" to a better coastal solution.  Not there yet, but I saw enough +'s to not be too worried yet.  That HP needs to anchor a bit more, and things will correct to a much nicer solution IMO.

Exactly, you can see slow but steady improvement.  Apologies to our western PA friends for my use of the word "improvement" ha.  As always, theses things are relative.

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Exactly, you can see slow but steady improvement.  Apologies to our western PA friends for my use of the word "improvement" ha.  As always, theses things are relative.

Ens guidance should hopefully narrow things a bit more. 

Great, albeit lengthy writeup by Kyle Elliott at MU last night. Essentially, he believes the most likely scenario is pretty much what the GFS is showing...the ridge axis out west looks to set up to the west of Boise, Idaho. For the LSV to get a major snowstorm we'd want the ridge axis set up to the east of Boise. This would allow the low to plow northward through PA and bury the Appalachians. So, he's giving the GFS full props at this point. 

On terms of percentages, this is where he's at:

Track through CPA: 45%

Track up the coast: 30%

Southern slider/out to sea: 25%

He emphasized (obviously) that there are a ton of moving parts and things can/may change quickly and significantly; HOWEVER, he believes that the pattern supports the storm heading up through PA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Great, albeit lengthy writeup by Kyle Elliott at MU last night. Essentially, he believes the most likely scenario is pretty much what the GFS is showing...the ridge axis out west looks to set up to the west of Boise, Idaho. For the LSV to get a major snowstorm we'd want the ridge axis set up to the east of Boise. This would allow the low to plow northward through PA and bury the Appalachians. So, he's giving the GFS full props at this point. 

On terms of percentages, this is where he's at:

Track through CPA: 45%

Track up the coast: 30%

Southern slider/out to sea: 25%

He emphasized (obviously) that there are a ton of moving parts and things can/may change quickly and significantly; HOWEVER, he believes that the pattern supports the storm heading up through PA.

Thanks for adding that.  Great to put a reason to the results on the models. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So the question becomes - will the pattern support an adjustment east with the LP?

looking over 500s and was a 2 contour closed 500 lp, you can now see it opens up slightly (this would argue for a slightly less wound up solution and should/could help thermal boundary for us eastern folks).  Again, I'm not saying its happening, but as one knows, this is the time to look for trends...good or bad.  Just a verbatim obs...I look at this timestamp because this is when our precious thermals start to erode, so I'm looking for S and E adjustments for my logic to hold.  If it doesnt...I'm always learning and never profess to have all of the answers.

gfs-ens_z500a_eus_fh102_trend.thumb.gif.50046f804e3a81dcbeb2058e31c07c16.gif

• Like 1