Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Hazey said:

Is it me or has the mid range guidance left a lot to be desired? Some pretty whole sale changes keep happening around hours 120 -168. Noticed it a few times this year. I suppose it's normal but just seems more dramatic shifts as of late. 

It's normal

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Get inside 90 hrs. How can people forget the dozens and dozens of model failures this year outside 4 days Ops and Ensemble 

This is exactly my point.

I don’t get the urgency right now.  It surely can cut, I don’t deny that at all. But saying this is the day we need to see changes…I just don’t agree with that…especially since it’s only been 36 hrs since it’s actually become a threat. It was 0/2 yesterday morning(Friday a whiff and Monday too) on the euro…but now it’s do or die today, for a Monday potential? I’m not buying that at this lead.  But that’s just my feeling.  

Others can lock this up today…I’ll wait and see how it looks come Friday afternoon? If it’s over Scranton then..let it rain. We’ll have more chances.  

Either way it’s all good. 

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. UK would be pretty snowy:

850wh.us_ne.png
925th.us_ne.png

I'm significantly behind in this thread .. back here on a page 15 but this caught my eye.  Those two panels are quintessential/ ideal for maximizing cold profile storm type - i.e., unusually large snowfall result.   - just throwin' the snow enthusiasts a bone, but not making that up. That's a rather intense easterly 850 mb anomaly, running under 925 mb N flow, most assuredly under a whopper 700mb frontogen UVM banding...  Nuts, but it may be passe by the time I've taken in data, tru :)

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm significantly behind in this thread .. back here on a page 15 but this caught my eye.  Those two panels are quintessential/ ideal for maximizing cold profile storm type - i.e., unusually large snowfall result.   - just throwin' the snow enthusiasts a bone, but not making that up. That's a rather intense easterly 850 mb anomaly, running under 925 mb N flow, most assuredly under a whopper 700mb frontogen UVM banding...  Nuts, but it may be passe by the time I've taken in data, tru :)

Qpf be dammed that would be “it”. UK is usually on the sauce though but we can dream it has a clue…it is the second scoring model at h5 afterall.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Stebo posted this last night in a different place

1. The ocean storm is weaker and east run to run

2.upper low in Quebec moves east faster

3. The trough is digging further and further west into the west

And 4. The ridge from the west is moving in slower

The pocket for ridging to form along the east coast is developing. The only way this keeps the east in the game is if the the trough doesn't go neutral until east of the MS river

What does JB think?

6 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

What we've seen so far is a major correction. If we windshield wipe from here, we are talking about if/how much on the front end before the changeover, unless it ends up on the far east side of the "wipe." Which can still be a decent event, but not what it could have been for SNE.

Unless of course we end up with a UKMET solution or like many members of the GEFS EPS. Your statement is pretty concrete 5 days out. Absolutely could be right but throwing in the towel day 5 on 75 mile shifts?. IDK

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Stebo posted this last night in a different place

1. The ocean storm is weaker and east run to run

2.upper low in Quebec moves east faster

3. The trough is digging further and further west into the west

And 4. The ridge from the west is moving in slower

The pocket for ridging to form along the east coast is developing. The only way this keeps the east in the game is if the the trough doesn't go neutral until east of the MS river

this is a key that DT talks about alot.  Seems that we should watch the better shorter term guidance to see how it trends with the tilt of trough.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Unless of course we end up with a UKMET solution or like many members of the GEFS EPS. Your statement is pretty concrete 5 days out. Absolutely could be right but throwing in the towel day 5 on 75 mile shifts?. IDK

I will say this...there is a reason I won't blog about this until tomorrow at the earliest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

When did I throw in the towel?

• Thanks 1

Why is it that people take such exception in principle to a statement along the lines of "what you want is still possible, but is no longer the most likely outcome of all the possibilities based on information currently available." If someone wants to argue that a benchmark track is the favored solution, by all means, let's hear it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

this is a key that DT talks about alot.  Seems that we should watch the better shorter term guidance to see how it trends with the tilt of trough.

I could be wrong, I think he says if it goes negative tilt around the Mississippi, it will turn north too soon and hug the coast or go inland.

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Looks like 06z EPS mean is over Taunton, but the median is more like Boston.

GEFS over ACK......if we can at least stop the trend today, this is still a legit winter storm for most of us, just not a blockbuster. These ensemble tracks jive with my feelings all along right now, but again...lets stop the trend.