• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

For those of you with the Kocin / Uccellini Northeast Snowstorms Volume II - The Card book available, check out the Feb. 15-17, 1958 storm.  Very close surface and 500 mb match for the pre-storm 48 hours period onward to the day of the event.  The result was widespread 9 to 16" amounts across SNE with a heavy deformation band of 20 to 36 inches running northeast across eastern PA, eastern NY on into srn VT /  central NH...  It was a slower mover than the upcoming event is likely to be, but good features analog match?

• Like 8

1 minute ago, FXWX said:

For those of you with the Kocin / Uccellini Northeast Snowstorms Volume II - The Card book available, check out the Feb. 15-17, 1958 storm.  Very close surface and 500 mb match for the pre-storm 48 hours period onward to the day of the event.  The result was widespread 9 to 16" amounts across SNE with a heavy deformation band of 20 to 36 inches running northeast across eastern PA, eastern NY on into srn VT /  central NH...  It was a slower mover than the upcoming event is likely to be, but good features analog match?

I’m wondering if this one may slow some in future cycles … 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Actually about what I envision attm.

• Like 1

12z EPS showing some interesting things when it comes to the EFI.

No shading indicates that less than half of the members forecast an extreme snowfall for the 5 weeks centered on this date. BUT the contours (especially above 1) indicate that the members that do forecast the most snowfall (i.e. 90th percentile of EPS member forecast) those members are fairly extreme. 

ens_2022011112_ne_24h_sfi_SFC_156.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

12z EPS showing some interesting things when it comes to the EFI.

No shading indicates that less than half of the members forecast an extreme snowfall for the 5 weeks centered on this date. BUT the contours (especially above 1) indicate that the members that do forecast the most snowfall (i.e. 90th percentile of EPS member forecast) those members are fairly extreme. 

ens_2022011112_ne_24h_sfi_SFC_156.png

That aligns with early thoughts for this event...Albany through the Berks up to Dendrite.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Tossed

Entertaining run to click thru tho - it’s got that going for it. 

It’s doing all that with zero phasing because it’s kicking that southern stream out too far ahead… outpacing the northern stream, which is trying to come down into the backside

I have no idea how to correct for this particular model I don’t really pay much attention to it

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It’s doing all that with zero phasing because it’s kicking that southern stream out too far ahead… outpacing the northern stream, which is trying to come down into the backside

I have no idea how to correct for this particular model I don’t really pay much attention to it

I have no idea either and I corrected myself because the evolution is certainly doable. The clown map is misleading .

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have no idea either and I corrected myself because the evolution is certainly doable. The clown map is misleading .

Jesus… Not that it’s worth it to analyze but that particular storm depth and track being from southern stream origin like that? If it did exactly like that there would be 20 to 30 inches of snow from White Plains New York to Nashua New Hampshire regardless of whatever that snow tot product shows.

If anything the model’s under done with QPF for one but two that’s basically historically powerful frontogen signature there - if that were ever kept track of

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Jesus… Not that it’s worth it to analyze but that particular storm depth and track being from southern stream origin like that? If it did exactly like that there would be 20 to 30 inches of snow from White Plains New York to Nashua New Hampshire regardless of whatever that snow tot product shows.

If anything the model’s under done with QPF for one but two that’s basically historically powerful photogenic signature there - if that were ever kept track of

Agree. It’s a pretty sweet mid level track. 

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Model is abysmal...I'd rather gamble on the HR 84 NAM.