• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

What was happening all along is that the GFS was using the northern stream to push this thing further east before it came up north so the phasing was happening over New England and so forth …but in this run we noticed at around 96 hours,  far less northern stream coming in so this thing is just sort of I don’t know why it’s doing what it’s doing but it’s not getting in northern stream assistance

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yikes. If euro keeps the west trend going, even at this lead time, we have to think about trashing ens means which are skewed by the east/ots and weigh the west members more heavily.

Many times the ensembles are too flat in these setups with potent s/w’s. Doesn’t mean it has to true, but I’ve seen that.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yikes. If euro keeps the west trend going, even at this lead time, we have to think about trashing ens means which are skewed by the east/ots and weigh the west members more heavily.

It’s definitely a flag to me that a lot of these op runs are on the very western envelope of ensemble solutions. A flag in the sense that the ensembles may be incorrect 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What was happening all along is that the GFS was using the northern stream to push this thing further east before it came up north so the phasing was happening over New England and so forth …but in this run we noticed at around 96 hours,  far less northern stream coming in so this thing is just sort of I don’t know why it’s doing what it’s doing but it’s not getting in northern stream assistance

There is basically zero interaction from the trail sw so how it gets so far nw I don’t know either.

Nah … That thing triple points underneath.

But it’s so typical for the Gfs to do this - it takes an oddball solution …everybody complains about it and it makes it even more odd on the next run.

Doesn’t look like it’s very climate friendly it’s trying to fit a low between a lakes cutter and a coastal commitment.   

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Many times the ensembles are too flat in these setups with potent s/w’s. Doesn’t mean it has to true, but I’ve seen that.

Gotchya. There seemed to be too many huggers and inland runners that were muted by bermuda members so the true mean was probably closer to LI then over the BM imwo. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s the GFS at 5 plus days out..enough said. Just another solution.  It’ll do this for a few more runs, then start correcting the other way after that. 

Maybe but it’s not on it’s own so it can’t be ignored. Anyway, worse case left goal post is probably some snow followed by big rains. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I guess the GFS really does want to turn this into a cutter. 

It may “want” to lol. But this really isn’t a cutter it’s slipping between climate tracks which is part of the red flag for me. 

I just think it’s another peregrination … likely to be a week full of them until probably Thur

High confidence for an event … probably a significant one, but we are still going to be have to be quibbling over details and unfavorable tracks at times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Maybe but it’s not on it’s own so it can’t be ignored. Anyway, worse case left goal post is probably some snow followed by big rains. 

At 5.5 days it sure can be ignored. There will be over a dozen and a half more runs showing something else before go time.  Windshield wiper affect…