• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

2 hours ago, sferic said:

Now mainly living in Cicero I see first hand how quickly things can change and how fast a WWA can be hoisted and accumulating snow lines are difficult to nail down unlike Long Island.

Next 2 weeks look promising here as i have canceled Catskill/ Long Island business until I get a good taste of Cicero weather

Cameras setup now for timelapse and weather underground gave my PWS a badge for accurate data

PWS https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYCICER31

Welcome back! Yep, as you can see...this area is always on the line whether it be lake effect snow line, rain/snow line, downsloping from the Tug line. For one of the snowiest cities in the country, it can be quite maddening how we get there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Thinksnow18 this should get you excited. He post bug kit to show depth of cold air, looks fantastic.

from Tom Niziol

Hey WNY'ers...yes, you will get some snow tonight into Sunday from a large scale (synoptic) system, but as they say on TV...wait there's more!!  Looks like its setting up nicely for a lake-effect snow  event Thursday into Friday off Lake Erie. Please note, its iWAAAAYY too early to get into the all-important details, but let's say if this pans out Buffalo gets hit hard Thursday into Thursday night then Southtowns Friday.  Not long-lasting, starts in Buffalo area on about a 240-250 wind direction, then settles south on a 260-270 wind and finally wind shifts to WNW to drive band south. I included a GFS loop here to show the synoptic scale featutes and the 6-hr precipitation total which is a proxy for snowband location. I will include the 6-hr forecast soundings next at Buffalo to show the depth of the cold air and wind direction.  I believe the times run at 6 hour intervals from Thursday at 1AM thru Friday at 7PM.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@Thinksnow18 this should get you excited. He post bug kit to show depth of cold air, looks fantastic.

from Tom Niziol

Hey WNY'ers...yes, you will get some snow tonight into Sunday from a large scale (synoptic) system, but as they say on TV...wait there's more!!  Looks like its setting up nicely for a lake-effect snow  event Thursday into Friday off Lake Erie. Please note, its iWAAAAYY too early to get into the all-important details, but let's say if this pans out Buffalo gets hit hard Thursday into Thursday night then Southtowns Friday.  Not long-lasting, starts in Buffalo area on about a 240-250 wind direction, then settles south on a 260-270 wind and finally wind shifts to WNW to drive band south. I included a GFS loop here to show the synoptic scale featutes and the 6-hr precipitation total which is a proxy for snowband location. I will include the 6-hr forecast soundings next at Buffalo to show the depth of the cold air and wind direction.  I believe the times run at 6 hour intervals from Thursday at 1AM thru Friday at 7PM.

He's hit the New Years egg nog too strong! ;)

• Haha 1

Cold front slowly working southeast into the region early this
afternoon. Temperatures very gradually falling off behind the front
with temperatures now in the upper 30s across portions of the
Niagara Frontier. Cooler air coming in immediately behind the front
causing a period of locally dense fog.

Regional radars showing leading edge of incoming large area of
steady rain starting to make its way into the western Southern
Tier. Rain shield will continue to overspread the area from the
southwest through the remainder of the afternoon with all areas
south of Lake Ontario experiencing steady rain by early this
evening.

Low level cold air will continue to gradually seep southward into
the area as we work into the early part of tonight. This will allow
the rain change to a period of freezing rain. The change will
start first over the Saint Lawrence Valley/North County and
northern fringe of the Niagara Frontier this evening. As the
cold air continues to make its way southward tonight, most areas
will experience some mixed precipitation, including freezing
rain. Most areas will then change to all snow by late tonight or
early Sunday morning. Most areas will see less than a tenth of
an inch of ice with some locally slightly higher amounts
possible.

Thermal profiles are cold enough Sunday, with 850 mb temperatures
rapidly dropping down to near -10C, to support all snow. Snowfall
amounts are only expected to be in the 1-3 inch range although
localized higher amounts are possible, especially over higher
terrain and areas where some lake enhancement occurs, especially
along the south shore of Lake Ontario.

Some limited northwest flow lake effect snow will start to get
underway Sunday afternoon.

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

Maybe the NWS is paying attention to surface temperatures? Not just clown maps..Hrrr starts the change over around 1z for western NY but it's not till 6/7z that the area is below freezing..

ref1km_ptype.us_ne (28).png

sfct.us_ne - 2022-01-01T145930.752.png

Yeah. I think it’s going to be a nowcast event. Those already in the 30’s gotta be happy. Monroe county has a pretty good gradient going from 39-44, north to south. 5 can make a big difference 

• Like 1