• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

:P The Cicero area has lots of Wetlands. I'm not totally sure what the dominant soil type is there, but I imagine there would be a mixture of clay and loam in there. Normally the ground has frozen some, but not this year.

Thanks Matt, you're a plethora of valuable information; appreciate it

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sferic said:

Hey guys,

Since I have been up in Cicero when I take the doggie to the backyard and I walk around whether it's rained or not grass seems like mush or quicksand.

Is this my imagination or part of the nature of the soil in upper central NY state?

I dont think it's a general soil thing here.  It has been unusually wet for months so my property's extra soft underfoot. I also think that the frequent overcast limits drying from the sun in winter, even with bare ground.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sferic said:

Thanks Matt, you're a plethora of valuable information; appreciate it

I do like to research. If you're interested...not sure how much you actually want to know, here's a link about the soils of the area. Soil Survey of Onondaga County, New York (usda.gov)

I would say if it the top layer of ground is not frozen, chances are it will be softer or mushier around here in the winter. This is usually because it's either rained or all the snow has melted into the ground and water is sitting there. Since sand is not the predominant soil type (water permeates very quickly through it), water is more often found in the topsoil around here. The Syracuse area in general has lots of wetlands, which is a good sign that many areas do not have well drained soils. It's a part of the natural ecosystem.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

BW I gotta say seeing Tom Niziol discuss the potential for LEA 5 days out does make my ears perk up. Seeing the GFS being so consistent is absolutely exciting at this point. As you stated LES is a bit easier to spot in a week or less time. This COULD turn a lot of this winter around quickly.

Should have a good idea by the time high res gets into timeframe. Tuesday night into Weds.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I do like to research. If you're interested...not sure how much you actually want to know, here's a link about the soils of the area. Soil Survey of Onondaga County, New York (usda.gov)

I would say if it the top layer of ground is not frozen, chances are it will be softer or mushier around here in the winter. This is usually because it's either rained or all the snow has melted into the ground and water is sitting there. Since sand is not the predominant soil type (water permeates very quickly through it), water is more often found in the topsoil around here. The Syracuse area in general has lots of wetlands, which is a good sign that many areas do not have well drained soils. It's a part of the natural ecosystem.

Quite interested!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yup, sand has more pore space because the particles are all unique so they can’t interlock like clay, thus creates macro pores. What people don’t know is, clay actually has more pore space, but it’s micropores compare to macro pores that sand has. Thus sand drains faster, but due to that is very low in fertility and leaches out much faster 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tim123 said:

Livingston County hast to be the worst county in buffalo forecast area for lake snow. Too far east usually for lake erie and to far south for ontario

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Livingston County...talk about a rough place for an upstate snow lover!

Yes, you both hit the nail right on the head. Definitely not a great place at all for a snow lover. But to be fair, I am in the North West corner of Livingston,  so I'm not as bad off as the guys down in the valley. 

• Like 1