• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

18 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I agree. Also it is snowing in Hamilton Ontario already. Environment Canada is calling for up to 1 to 2 Cm per hour at times over night. 5-10cm (roughly 2-5”) accumulation but higher amounts in enhanced areas.

Its more ice pellets here in the Hamilton area with a temperature at my house of 34F. Should be all snow around 7-9pm. Environment Canada is saying 2-5" and The weather Network (weather channel pretty much) is calling for 4-6" here. 

• Like 3

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Tughill is finally going to get his chance to see what a real Upstate winter is like. Just a perfect extended outlook for winter lovers. :mapsnow:

I sure hope so! I honestly haven't paid any attention to the long range the past couple of days. Zippo. Things are so uncertain within a day or two, I am trying not to look too far ahead. Here's to hoping for some real winter!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I sure hope so! I honestly haven't paid any attention to the long range the past couple of days. Zippo. Things are so uncertain within a day or two, I am trying not to look too far ahead. Here's to hoping for some real winter!

Cold air is pretty easy to see within 2 weeks, its the 3-4+ week stuff that is impossible to predict. Synoptic systems tracks are also very difficult to predict outside of 1-3 days. Lake effect is easily seen well before time. Many events are talked about a full week before in most NWS discussions. If the long range is right lake Erie will be frozen by the first week of February. We better score in the next 3-4 weeks.

6 to 10 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability8 to 14 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, sferic said:

Hey guys,

Since I have been up in Cicero when I take the doggie to the backyard and I walk around whether it's rained or not grass seems like mush or quicksand.

Is this my imagination or part of the nature of the soil in upper central NY state?

That's what we, outside of NYC, call "grass."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sferic said:

Hey guys,

Since I have been up in Cicero when I take the doggie to the backyard and I walk around whether it's rained or not grass seems like mush or quicksand.

Is this my imagination or part of the nature of the soil in upper central NY state?

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

That's what we, outside of NYC, call "grass."

:P The Cicero area has lots of Wetlands. I'm not totally sure what the dominant soil type is there, but I imagine there would be a mixture of clay and loam in there. Normally the ground has frozen some, but not this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tim123 said:

Some parts of Livingston County only get 40 inches a year on average 

Yeah, when I was searching around Upstate NY, I avoided the Dansville to Corning to Elmira area because of their very low snowfall averages. Too far away from the lakes and east coast...and downsloping from the hills.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cold air is pretty easy to see within 2 weeks, its the 3-4+ week stuff that is impossible to predict. Synoptic systems tracks are also very difficult to predict outside of 1-3 days. Lake effect is easily seen well before time. Many events are talked about a full week before in most NWS discussions. If the long range is right lake Erie will be frozen by the first week of February. We better score in the next 3-4 weeks.

6 to 10 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability8 to 14 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability

BW I gotta say seeing Tom Niziol discuss the potential for LEA 5 days out does make my ears perk up. Seeing the GFS being so consistent is absolutely exciting at this point. As you stated LES is a bit easier to spot in a week or less time. This COULD turn a lot of this winter around quickly.