Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Overunning Mixed Event 12/18-12/19/21

dryslot

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Wonder why 3K Is colder than the 12k counterpart.

wondering that too. 

I was looking for dynamic cooling, maybe evaporative cooling...but seeing neither. 

The winds are quite weak but I guess there appears to be some very weak northerly or northeasterly component to the sfc wind. And the llvls remain quite cold so maybe we just don't mix? Looks like how 925/850 evolves is drastically different too. closing off briefly then opening up and just sliding southeast and we limit WAA there

1 hour ago, IowaStorm05 said:

It was big. It was very big. But Westerly RI got wrongfully cheated out of that event by last minute ticks northwest. 

I remember it like it was yesterday. And, I was just 22 years old. Which means I was profoundly more springy than I am today. I get that some people might be older than me here… but trust me. 22 is in a class of itself. Once you get well into your 30s you might as well be 55 it’s all middle age. 

i live with my mom today still. Multigenerational living is a thing these days. And sometimes she speaks about possibly moving down to Ledyard. We have good reason to but in my heart I’m like nope. Nope nope noooooooope. Of course, I do make sure I use lots of salt so nobody slips or anything but when I eventually give in to moving down there it’s basically saying “I don’t want to see big snowstorms anymore”.

I had a 100lb Lab mix and after the storm I let her out and she jumped off the deck stairs and disappeared into the snow like she had jumped into a pond. 

37 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

A lot of people say that we should all get in on some great action come January and February. But guys that’s super far away. How many grueling work shifts must I complete before something big arrives to bring snow down to a Norwich/Warwick/Taunton line and Clobbers my place. 

Especially your area to Taunton and the Cape, only around two? months of winter left. It flies by, especially when December is bad.

• Weenie 2

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

wondering that too. 

I was looking for dynamic cooling, maybe evaporative cooling...but seeing neither. 

The winds are quite weak but I guess there appears to be some very weak northerly or northeasterly component to the sfc wind. And the llvls remain quite cold so maybe we just don't mix? Looks like how 925/850 evolves is drastically different too. closing off briefly then opening up and just sliding southeast and we limit WAA there

Onshore flow is limited to the coast especially east of 95/128. Light N-NNE inland. 
If we had a formidable airmass, this would be pretty sweet here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Onshore flow is limited to the coast especially east of 95/128. Light N-NNE inland. 
If we had a formidable airmass, this would be pretty sweet here. 

Yup...that's the huge blow here...the antecedent airmass. Given how crappy the airmass is ahead of it I'd be very weary of this still trending warmer (especially at the surface). This reminds me of a setup we had (I want to say winter of 2017-2018)...we were very warm ahead of it and there were concerns for icing (at least down here) but we hovered 32-33 and icing didn't transpire. 

It's probably going to be a very narrow area for the heavier snow and higher totals...that WAA aloft too is cranking. But at least the airmass isn't necessarily dry ahead of this.  

1 minute ago, bishbish777 said:

Hello all! Long time lurker...not sure if anyone looks at this model at all, but the HRW WRF-NSSL has a different look than the other models. Much more friendly to SNE through 48hrs. Clown map as y'all call it lol..

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

This solution isn’t going to happen, but if it did, it would be the product of a hellacious thump 

Just now, bishbish777 said:

Hello all! Long time lurker...not sure if anyone looks at this model at all, but the HRW WRF-NSSL has a different look than the other models. Much more friendly to SNE through 48hrs. Clown map as y'all call it lol..

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

I was just looking at the WRF. Sometimes a key is these meso models handling of the cold.