Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Not in my lifetime, 02 just missed us to the west, we had early ice and then dry slot.

2017, missed to the east with 3-6" in NE Mass Christmas morning. 

I don’t think it’s happened in my lifetime.   I remember once in the 1960s having enough snow such that my brother and I had to shovel the sidewalk in front of my father’s pharmacy.   But my recollection is it was 4-7 ish and over by afternoon.

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That magnitude...2002, though it hugged and began later xmas day. Snowstorm period? 2017.

Yeah, we only managed flurries down here in 2017. I don't remember the '02 storm for some reason. The closest storm to Christmas I can recall was Boxing Day '10, although I'd rather forget it.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

People diss the 80s, some for good reason (It's easily the least snowy decade at the Farmington co-op) but it had some great stuff if one was in the right place.  1981-82 in Fort Kent had 185.8" snow, capped by the April blizzard.  83-84 had a bit less snowfall (171") but it was much more dense than usual and SDDS and max depth are both tops in my experience.  It also included the biggest snowfall I've recorded.  January 1987 in Gardiner had 5 snowstorms totaling 49" and a long-lasting pack that was extinguished by a huge rainstorm that led to a major flood and Maine's greatest peak flow on record.  And the decade ended with December 1989.  :D

I think 81-82 was a crusher here too.  It seemed like there would be 1 or 2 3"6" type systems every week and then every 10 days or so an 8"-12" would come along.  The people we were renting our house from had moved up full time in the nearly snowless winter of 1980-81 and were shell shocked at the amount of snow we got.

12 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

The only weather event on Xmas day that stands out to me is that arctic airmass in either ‘81 or ‘82 when the daytime temperature barely reached zero 

I have to go back to Christmas '78 in upstate NY for a bona fide Christmas miracle.  Wasn't forecast too well.  Started snowing when I left church with my parents (7 PM) Christmas eve.  My father went to the midnight mass as he was in the choir.  By then the snow was ripping.  Took him 2 hrs to get home.  He needed help to get up 'the hill' (as it was known).  We got about 15 inches by morning and it snowed lightly all day.  I got a sled that year.  

EDIT:  Will has the snowmap ;-)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, klw said:

In 2017, I got 10.8 inches of snow on Christmas.  I don't remember if others got much.

We had about 6” here. Ripped heavy snow during the morning for about 3-4 hours over a good chunk of SNE. 

Last Xmas day snowfall before that was about 1” in 2012...saved our white Christmas as we had bare ground the day before. It was a currier and Ives big flake snowfall that lasted about 2 hours between 6-8am or so. 

We obviously had the big one in 2002 in the interior and then before that you’d have to probably go all the way back to 1978 when about 6” fell on Christmas morning. It actually started very late Xmas eve night before midnight.