• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

So wanted to look at the all time record high lake levels on Lake Erie at Buffalo and was surprised that the event last November was actually ranked #2 at 11.12 ft.  Was curious about the #1 event from December 1985 and found this article.  60 mph+ winds, lot of lake shore flooding down in Erie PA, 2 Oswego College students get swept off a break wall... 1221985.thumb.png.ae87bf8b9c5fc31ae5614074cf7cec23.png

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

So wanted to look at the all time record high lake levels on Lake Erie at Buffalo and was surprised that the event last November was actually ranked #2 at 11.12 ft.  Was curious about the #1 event from December 1985 and found this article.  60 mph+ winds, lot of lake shore flooding down in Erie PA, 2 Oswego College students get swept off a break wall... 1221985.thumb.png.ae87bf8b9c5fc31ae5614074cf7cec23.png

look farther back 

https://www.buffalohistorygazette.net/2010/09/the-lake-erie-seiche-disaster-of-1844.html?m=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalonews.com/news/local/history/oct-18-1844-great-flood-of-1844-devastates-buffalo/article_73b0e94c-fe27-5e7e-ac12-691a85809139.amp.html

"Purists would call it a seiche, the Great Lakes version of a tidal wave, but for the victims there was little difference," wrote The News' Mike Vogel on Oct. 20, 1988. "A wall of water swept across the harbor and city, drowning 78 people while driving ships ashore and washing away scores of homes and wharves."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

look farther back 

https://www.buffalohistorygazette.net/2010/09/the-lake-erie-seiche-disaster-of-1844.html?m=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalonews.com/news/local/history/oct-18-1844-great-flood-of-1844-devastates-buffalo/article_73b0e94c-fe27-5e7e-ac12-691a85809139.amp.html

"Purists would call it a seiche, the Great Lakes version of a tidal wave, but for the victims there was little difference," wrote The News' Mike Vogel on Oct. 20, 1988. "A wall of water swept across the harbor and city, drowning 78 people while driving ships ashore and washing away scores of homes and wharves."

It’s amazing to me that we live in the Great Lake where this can actually happen. It’s our version of storm surge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Where will you be heading?  Have to work Saturday but going to try and sneak out early to be down to the Outer Harbor by 4 as that seems to be the general look for the timing on the front to roll through.  If this track and intensity holds this could end up being a pretty significant wind event here.    

I'm thinking waterfront, just south of city. 

• Like 1

Would love to hear an analysis on this upcoming event. To really make the widespread 65+ gusts happen per HRRR, I think Delta got it right - it's just not happening at the optimal time of day. Even though there is good CAA/pressure rises post-front, there will be little to no diurnal mixing to help out.

Just now, vortmax said:

Would love to hear an analysis on this upcoming event. To really make the widespread 65+ gusts happen, I think Delta got it right - it's just not happening at the optimal time of day. Even though there is good CAA/pressure rises post-front, there will be little to no diurnal mixing to help out.

This storm would be truly scary if the frontal passage hit mid day.  I think we still see sporadic damage but dodge a major bullet. 

• Thanks 1

That razor thin low topped squall line might be the highest peak winds, which should only last for 2-3 minutes, but often times thats all it takes to cause some serious destruction.  That's the only thing that will really tap the low level jet.  Then I expect about a 30 minute lull until the CAA kicks in at which point we get the general sustained winds around 35mps with frequents gusts in the low 50's.  Should be all over by midnight, if not a few hours sooner.   Generator is ready and I may take a drive around in those post frontal winds for a bit.   

...LAKESHORE FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SATURDAY
TO 4 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Significant lakeshore flooding expected.

* WHERE...Lake Ontario of Oswego and Jefferson counties.

* WHEN...From 4 PM Saturday to 4 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...The combination of very strong west to southwest
  winds and significant wave action will result in lakeshore
  flooding along the immediate lakeshore, especially in bays,
  inlets, harbors, and other low lying areas along the
  shoreline. Some locations that may experience flooding include
  Sandy Pond, Chaumont Bay, and Black River Bay. Shoreline
  erosion is also expected.

26 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

That razor thin low topped squall line might be the highest peak winds, which should only last for 2-3 minutes, but often times thats all it takes to cause some serious destruction.  That's the only thing that will really tap the low level jet.  Then I expect about a 30 minute lull until the CAA kicks in at which point we get the general sustained winds around 35mps with frequents gusts in the low 50's.  Should be all over by midnight, if not a few hours sooner.   Generator is ready and I may take a drive around in those post frontal winds for a bit.   

what time for max winds off erie? 

40 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

what time for max winds off erie? 

There are two times I would focus on, the narrow low topped squall line with the frontal passage and then about an hour after that once the CAA really kicks in.  Frontal passage is at about 330pm on the hi res models, then 5-6pm looks like the best long duration sustained winds with max gusts.  We can tune this up as the new runs roll in, but things look pretty locked up.   I'm thinking Southern Ontario really takes this on the chin as they are a few hours ahead of us.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Nice to see Cali getting a lot of precip love!

I was thinking the same thing!  I check Mammoth Mtn webcams almost daily throughout the winter.  Must be an amazing place to live.  Epic snowfalls followed closely by bluebird skies until the next big snowfall moves in. 

On a related note, I’m just noticing that our creeks and rivers are finally getting down to lower “normal” levels.  They have been running very high since at least July. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

There’s NEVER backside snow like this. Never. These models…..image.thumb.png.73351ba90e5c807d456060d5e3033569.png

I think that’s right what you say, but I keep going back to Tombo’s post yesterday about this timeframe as one to watch. The GFS has been wildly consistent, at least in terms of a storm of some sort just before Xmas. I’m liking our chances of something popping