• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

3 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Nothing quite like the feel of standing on the edge of the lake in one of these wind storms.  Watching 15’ waves smashing over the break wall just off in the distance.  The howling of the gusts.  Watching the lake level inch higher and higher as the Seiche effect sets in.  Closest thing I’ll ever experience to intercepting a hurricane landfall so that’s why I enjoy it. 

I can understand that. It really is quite an experience to stand along one of the Great Lakes on one of those days. Like Dave said below, wind has always terrified me though...as I grew up on top of a hill and we had awful windstorms and trees coming down. The sound at night of the wind rushing through the trees...

3 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

About 20 years ago I was nearly killed by falling trees. It happened while I was a grounds keeper at a big local cemetery. We’d had gusty winds which earlier in the morning had toppled a pine tree, so the whole team loaded up three trucks and a chipper to clean it up. The fallen tree was of a line of stately old pines which stretched along a road that went north to south. 
While the deafening chain saws ripped and chipper raged, the west winds started to pick up again. Sawdust and flying bits were striking us in the face as an enormous gust came that literally pushed us all back on our heels. At that same moment, three 75’ pines, from the row, bent, uprooted and slammed to the ground in near unison. Thump, thump, thump. 
They fell west to east across the road, between the trucks, the chippers and the men. 
We looked at each other with utter disbelief. The boss, realizing how stupid he’d been, shouted for us to “get the hell out of here”. 

Ive always hated the violence of the wind. It’s the only thing in nature that truly unsettles me. Plus, I can’t stand being without power and internet. 

• Like 1

As far as trying to blame snow and winter on "most weather deaths" I can't help but wonder how many of those can be avoided if people didn't drive like MORONS. With wind, you can't really control anything, other than creating wind breaks. Snow? Stop driving like idiots and I imagine that death count would drop.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Not the trend we need. Anybody say “omega”?

gfs_z500a_us_fh276_trend.gif

Like SyrMax said, if we are going to have well BN snowfall this season, might as well take it into the gutter and have some sizzle. Still safely ahead of the least snowiest winter of 2015-16 around here so far, but this slow start and a balmy December has me liking the odds of atleast a top 10 BN snowfall for BGM... possibly other sites as well.

53 minutes ago, sferic said:

From Channel 5 at 6PM, puts Cicero in 3-6 zone which is half what the NWS says

As a newbie up here, who is more accurate since 5 miles can make a difference, even 2 miles like I saw yesterday.

3-6 for Cicero, I'll take it!

Screenshot_20211208-182420_Gallery.jpg

Word of caution: Take the maps with a grain of salt. Along with more snow chances comes more disappointments. In good winters where cold air is plentiful and we're in a clipper track, sure, winter is definitely more exciting and many nice surprises. But...we've been in a run of bad years where cold and moisture has been lacking.

I'm really hoping we can see a month this winter where Syracuse gets 50 to 80 inches in one month. It's happened many times in the past.

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Word of caution: Take the maps with a grain of salt. Along with more snow chances comes more disappointments. In good winters where cold air is plentiful and we're in a clipper track, sure, winter is definitely more exciting and many nice surprises. But...we've been in a run of bad years where cold and moisture has been lacking.

I'm really hoping we can see a month this winter where Syracuse gets 50 to 80 inches in one month. It's happened many times in the past.

Snowiest winter for me was on long Island was 1995-96 where Central park in Manhattan  recorded around 75 inches for the SEASON and that was astounding

Most snow on the ground I ever experienced was about 2 feet  ( not drifts)

I will learn the climatology here.

Different living here than the Catskills or Long Island.

Glad i moved here

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Snowiest winter for me was on long Island was 1995-96 where Central park in Manhattan  recorded around 75 inches for the SEASON and that was astounding

Most snow on the ground I ever experienced was about 2 feet  ( not drifts)

I will learn the climatology here.

Different living here than the Catskills or Long Island.

Glad i moved here

I'm glad you did as well. Lake effect snow is a whole different animal. You can get great hits,  as you've already noticed...and then you can get great misses where you're green while a mile away it looks like winter. Last year, Brewerton got in a really nice band that dumped like 16 inches there...and 8 to 10 inches here. Two days later, we had one of those wonderful South wind Sizzlers (that I passionately hate) and most of our snowpack melted, while Brewerton still had a solid pack. For about 2 weeks it looked like winter there, while the rest of the metro was brown sticks. It can be quite frustrating if you "get left out" whereas on Long Island, everybody gets left out. lol

Lake effect is usually also much fluffier and compacts extremely fast...and as a result of low moisture content, melts pretty quickly. It adds up quickly...but disappears just as fast in mild winters. It's fantastic for snow activities like snowshoeing and cross country skiing. It also tends to easier to drive on, as it's not the greasy, sloppy stuff that you get on Long Island.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I'm glad you did as well. Lake effect snow is a whole different animal. You can get great hits,  as you've already noticed...and then you can get great misses where you're green while a mile away it looks like winter. Last year, Brewerton got in a really nice band that dumped like 16 inches there...and 8 to 10 inches here. Two days later, we had one of those wonderful South wind Sizzlers (that I passionately hate) and most of our snowpack melted, while Brewerton still had a solid pack. For about 2 weeks it looked like winter there, while the rest of the metro was brown sticks. It can be quite frustrating if you "get left out" whereas on Long Island, everybody gets left out. lol

Lake effect is usually also much fluffier and compacts extremely fast...and as a result of low moisture content, melts pretty quickly. It adds up quickly...but disappears just as fast in mild winters. It's fantastic for snow activities like snowshoeing and cross country skiing. It also tends to easier to drive on, as it's not the greasy, sloppy stuff that you get on Long Island.

Matt, you are SW of me I believe.

What is the most accumulated untouched snow depth you've ever seen at your location?

Does this area get Icestorms? 

On Long Island we always deal with a rain snow line which quickly changes LI snow to rain especially with a SE wind.

We love it up here; learning other things other than weather related things

Glad I made the move but still have my other house on LI and a family house in the Catskills so in the rare case NYC/LI is to be blasted or a N'Easter serves up a Catskills special I'll go to that location!