Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

7 minutes ago, sferic said:

Matt, you are SW of me I believe.

What is the most accumulated untouched snow depth you've ever seen at your location?

Does this area get Icestorms? 

On Long Island we always deal with a rain snow line which quickly changes LI snow to rain especially with a SE wind.

We love it up here; learning other things other than weather related things

Glad I made the move but still have my other house on LI and a family house in the Catskills so in the rare case NYC/LI is to be blasted or a N'Easter serves up a Catskills special I'll go to that location!

Yeah, I am WSW (almost due West) of you. Northern Onondaga county in general retains snow depth better than the city it does. I have only been here for 2.5 years (3rd winter here) and Syracuse almost always seems to have less (sometimes significantly so) snowfall than us.

Ice storms aren't too common as Lake Ontario and a southerly wind can scour out low level cold air pretty quickly. As is quite evident, I hate how warm air so quickly invades this region...my biggest weather pet peeve of living here. The hills to the south of Syracuse create a mini-Chinook from downsloping on a south wind. So maddening. Sometimes, the warmth gets hung up on the hills though and we can get some cold air damming that funnels in on an E or NE wind from the Mohawk Valley. I have seen Tully in the 40s before, while we are in the low 30s.

The dreaded rain/mix/snow line. I thought I was getting away from it as well (moving from Lancaster, PA). But, instead of it moving in from the ocean, we deal with it from dying primary lows that move up along Lake Ontario and warm air surges north through the Finger Lakes. Sleet is actually pretty common here...moreso than freezing rain. We need secondary lows to take over more quickly...which has greatly been lacking since I moved here.

We want to see a nice retrograding Low sit off the coast of Massachusetts and filter synoptic moisture in along with a WNW wind off Lake Ontario. That's when Syracuse gets feet of snow in a week.

Snow depth here "can" reach 3 to 4 feet. Because Lake effect snow compacts easily and snowfalls build one on top of another and keep pressing down...I would say a typical max snow depth (usually in February) would be 24 to 30 inches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

..A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT SOUTHERN JEFFERSON AND
NORTHERN OSWEGO COUNTIES THIS EVENING...

HAZARDS...A band of heavy snow which can rapidly reduce visibility to
less than a quarter of a mile. This band of heavy snow is producing
extremely heavy snow at the rate of 1 to 2 inches per hour.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...The heavy snow band will impact Interstate
81 between Parish and Adams. The band will move gradually south
between 715 PM and 900 PM.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
Sandy Island Beach State Park, Stony Point, Pulaski, Adams, Selkirk
Shores State Park, Mexico Point State Park, Nine Mile Point,
Southwick Beach State Park, Adams Center, Richland, New Haven,
Mexico, Henderson, Rodman, Orwell, Lorraine, Sandy Creek, Lacona,
Altmar and Mannsville.

This includes Interstate 81 between exits 35 and 41.

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, I am WSW (almost due West) of you. Northern Onondaga county in general retains snow depth better than the city it does. I have only been here for 2.5 years (3rd winter here) and Syracuse almost always seems to have less (sometimes significantly so) snowfall than us.

Ice storms aren't too common as Lake Ontario and a southerly wind can scour out low level cold air pretty quickly. As is quite evident, I hate how warm air so quickly invades this region...my biggest weather pet peeve of living here. The hills to the south of Syracuse create a mini-Chinook from downsloping on a south wind. So maddening. Sometimes, the warmth gets hung up on the hills though and we can get some cold air damming that funnels in on an E or NE wind from the Mohawk Valley. I have seen Tully in the 40s before, while we are in the low 30s.

The dreaded rain/mix/snow line. I thought I was getting away from it as well (moving from Lancaster, PA). But, instead of it moving in from the ocean, we deal with it from dying primary lows that move up along Lake Ontario and warm air surges north through the Finger Lakes. Sleet is actually pretty common here...moreso than freezing rain. We need secondary lows to take over more quickly...which has greatly been lacking since I moved here.

We want to see a nice retrograding Low sit off the coast of Massachusetts and filter synoptic moisture in along with a WNW wind off Lake Ontario. That's when Syracuse gets feet of snow in a week.

Snow depth here "can" reach 3 to 4 feet. Because Lake effect snow compacts easily and snowfalls build one on top of another and keep pressing down...I would say a typical max snow depth (usually in February) would be 24 to 30 inches.

Thanks for that treasure chest of such valuable info !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

He’s hot and cold. He’ll show up when it gets real

One of these days he'll all of a sudden show up mouthing everybody off and telling us how "everything is a joke." He'll call you a name, give a report on "north of Great Northern" and threaten to run down 31 naked if we don't get a 2 foot dump pretty soon. Then he will be gone like a whisper in the breeze...until another day....

• Haha 3

I was just looking through the CIPS analogs for this weekends storm. Some pretty big hits showing up. I recognize 2 or 3 of those off the top of my head. The 1/9/08 storm had a 75mph gust at Kroc and caused some of the most extensive tree damage I have ever seen around here.  The frontal passage had a low topped line of convection with embedded bowing segments, it came through around 445am with an absolute freight train of a blast.  Woke me from a dead sleep and genuinely scared me for a few seconds. Wild stuff. I had an incredible amount of pictures from that storm but they were all lost in a hard drive crash..still bums me out  

EF880CDF-3886-4CD4-9463-0310FBB4E981.thumb.jpeg.4c9950579801a1afb8983f8b43e0254e.jpeg

These other images just show the percent possibility of high winds. The fact that the >55kts page isn’t blank is amazing. That’s a serious gust. 3F667DC8-AE51-4000-80F7-4E28D1FE757A.thumb.jpeg.0131a3eec43c833c5720ef5533b69836.jpeg

4D2E439F-3B7D-4AB3-B1D9-86A5C6CD692F.thumb.jpeg.4eb5e6303978c83a3ae6a28eca045b02.jpeg

12B0F3D5-95C3-415D-A0F1-9AF4642E0EFA.thumb.jpeg.db387228db05dc6a129cf0c685e0af2c.jpeg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I was just looking through the CIPS analogs for this weekends storm. Some pretty big hits showing up. I recognize 2 or 3 of those off the top of my head. The 1/9/08 storm had a 75mph gust at Kroc and caused some of the most extensive tree damage I have ever seen around here.  The frontal passage had a low topped line of convection with embedded bowing segments, it came through around 445am with an absolute freight train of a blast.  Woke me from a dead sleep and genuinely scared me for a few seconds. Wild stuff. I had an incredible amount of pictures from that storm but they were all lost in a hard drive crash..still bums me out  

EF880CDF-3886-4CD4-9463-0310FBB4E981.thumb.jpeg.4c9950579801a1afb8983f8b43e0254e.jpeg

These other images just show the percent possibility of high winds. The fact that the >55kts page isn’t blank is amazing. That’s a serious gust. 3F667DC8-AE51-4000-80F7-4E28D1FE757A.thumb.jpeg.0131a3eec43c833c5720ef5533b69836.jpeg

4D2E439F-3B7D-4AB3-B1D9-86A5C6CD692F.thumb.jpeg.4eb5e6303978c83a3ae6a28eca045b02.jpeg

12B0F3D5-95C3-415D-A0F1-9AF4642E0EFA.thumb.jpeg.db387228db05dc6a129cf0c685e0af2c.jpeg

Yes!  There was a loud line of storms that came through in the dead of night here, had the 737 at the airport get pushed into a jetway.  that storm was crazy!

Low pressure over upper Michigan continued to deepen as it tracked across the northern Great Lakes to Quebec. Winds increased to 25 to 40 mph with gusts measured to 75 mph. Trees and power lines were downed by the strong winds. Utility companies reported tens of thousands of customers without power in locations scattered throughout region. Crews from Ohio, Connecticut and sections of eastern New York traveled to the area to help with power restoration which, in some cases, took several days. Several homes and automobiles were damaged by falling trees and limbs. The strong winds flipped five tractor trailers including ones on Route 12 in Denmark and on Route 81 between LaFargeville and Clayton. In Great Bend, the winds lifted a carport and deposited onto the roof of a home. Northwest Monroe County was particularly hart hit with four homes deemed uninhabitable. Several school districts closed or released students early because of the winds.

A powerful cold front crossed the region during early morning hours. The thunderstorms that accompanied the front produced damaging wind gusts measured to 75 mph. Trees and power lines were downed by the winds throughout the region. At the Buffalo Airport, a Boeing 737 on the ground was blown into a jet way and damaged. Several homes and automobiles sustained damage by falling trees and limbs. In Watertown, a roof was blown off a building.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Love going down to waterfront for wind events

• Like 2