• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

You always argue that BW and stats say different. Cold snd snow are not in all 50 states on a consistent enough basis to make that claim stick. The heat is widespread, every state sees heatwaves and there’s no escaping massive power loss from heat, elderly dying as well as people in health during excruciating sports. Ever seen a football player die during a cold snap? No me neither, but it’s happened quite a few times from heat stroke during the hot periods. As the world grows hotter this will only widen with time.

7ECC4542-E1BB-4051-A790-7093297D40A9.jpeg

• Haha 1

Looks like the screenshot Wolfie sent was part of an article I just read and it turns out…NOAA thinks the heat is the bigger killer snd the CDC thinks the cold is. However, it stated that during a heatwave in Chicago some years back, 454 death certificates were handed out as causes of death related to the heat , yet the actual number was closer to 700. That was in the CDC side. 

1 minute ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Looks like the screenshot Wolfie sent was part of an article I just read and it turns out…NOAA thinks the heat is the bigger killer snd the CDC thinks the cold is. However, it stated that during a heatwave in Chicago some years back, 454 death certificates were handed out as causes of death related to the heat , yet the actual number was closer to 700. That was in the CDC side. 

Each year, an average of 1,836 deaths and 136,309 injuries are attributed to conditions on icy and snowy roads. Icy road fatalities account for more deaths than all other weather hazards combined (3.6 times more).Sep 14, 2021

Almost everyone has air conditioning now a days. It’s tough to die from heat. It’s not easy surviving a car crash. 

• Like 2

I’ve been fortunate enough (knock on wood) in my 48 years of driving to never have been in a major accident. But I have had several fender benders that can be attributed to winter driving conditions. My wife, on the other hand, had a serious accident on I81 near Pulaski in February, 2014 during a lake effect whiteout. She used to commute daily from Brewerton to Lacona. That day she left work and ran into a whiteout. An earlier accident had traffic stopped in the road.  She saw that and stopped just behind an 18 wheeler. As she sat there someone in a SUV came flying down the road and clipped her in the left rear. The force pushed her into the back of the 18 wheeler’s trailer. All the airbags went off and she was pushed into the driver’s door. They took her to St Joe’s in Syracuse. Fortunately she didn’t have any broken bones but the soft tissue injuries took months to heal. That shows the danger of being stopped on a roadway. It also shows the need to drive under control in winter conditions. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I’ve been fortunate enough (knock on wood) in my 48 years of driving to never have been in a major accident. But I have had several fender benders that can be attributed to winter driving conditions. My wife, on the other hand, had a serious accident on I81 near Pulaski in February, 2014 during a lake effect whiteout. She used to commute daily from Brewerton to Lacona. That day she left work and ran into a whiteout. An earlier accident had traffic stopped in the road.  She saw that and stopped just behind an 18 wheeler. As she sat there someone in a SUV came flying down the road and clipped her in the left rear. The force pushed her into the back of the 18 wheeler’s trailer. All the airbags went off and she was pushed into the driver’s door. They took her to St Joe’s in Syracuse. Fortunately she didn’t have any broken bones but the soft tissue injuries took months to heal. That shows the danger of being stopped on a roadway. It also shows the need to drive under control in winter conditions. 

Thank God all worked out well for her after healing !

• Like 1

I think the wording here is where we differ. Cold does not always equate to slippery conditions and snow covered roads. However, heat can’t be in the same breadth. Heat is heat and cannot be out of the equation. And your theory that most places have is A/C is not true in areas of older, high rise buildings in parts of every city. I’d also be remiss to see the accuracy per the CDC as there’s a wide discrepancy on the very heatwave they mentioned in the article. It’s much easier to stare “the ice was the cause of the accident “ but proving Mrs. smith on the 12th floor in NYC died from dehydration due to high heat is a lot more difficult. 

41 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Each year, an average of 1,836 deaths and 136,309 injuries are attributed to conditions on icy and snowy roads. Icy road fatalities account for more deaths than all other weather hazards combined (3.6 times more).Sep 14, 2021

Almost everyone has air conditioning now a days. It’s tough to die from heat. It’s not easy surviving a car crash. 

Context has to be taken with who dies from heat vs car crashes too.

Not to be insensitive to the elderly but the lives taken by heat are typically 65+ vs the younger population lost to weather related car accidents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Not to be insensitive to the elderly but the lives taken by heat are typically 65+ vs the younger population lost to weather related car accidents.

The is accurate. The heat is more of a killer to those who can’t escape it. 

6 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Yes! My wife snd I were just discussing it! How and where does a car get into the river at that point? If familiar with the area there aren’t many if any access points after the last grand island bridge (north)

5 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yes! My wife snd I were just discussing it! How and where does a car get into the river at that point? If familiar with the area there aren’t many if any access points after the last grand island bridge (north)

No you can drive out onto goat island with your car.  There are two bridges that cross over to it.  It is pretty railed up so at least in my opinion it would be hard to accidentally drive into the river there…

0BEF289C-035D-4D21-9EFF-1014CF478A0E.jpeg

On a weather related note, snow is moderate and flake size has increased in the past 10 minutes…since the special weather statement was issued at 130 we’ve picked up about 1/2” but I’m guessing 2” will be the total when this moves in. Picked up about an inch last night and grass is almost covered. Roads are covered 

4 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

No you can drive out onto goat island with your car.  There are two bridges that cross over to it.  It is pretty railed up so at least in my opinion it would be hard to accidentally drive into the river there…

That’s a great point and I did forget that. But you’re correct that was intentional IF that’s where the vehicle went in.

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

True, I still think car accidents take the cake. 1" of snow in the southern USA results in hundreds/thousands of car accidents.

44 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Were they able to rescue the person in the car? Suicide?

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

True, I still think car accidents take the cake. 1" of snow in the southern USA results in hundreds/thousands of car accidents.

Yea I agree with you. The loss of life in terms of years lost is much greater due to weather related accidents vs heat related deaths.

6 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Anyone else thinking WNY will overachieve again today?  NWS does not seem interested at all with the snows east of Lake Erie.  Upstream radar just east of Detroit is starting to look really juicy and heading our way.  Mike C even highlighted this morning he was watching a band of more intense snows forming as the synoptic snow showers move away.  HRRR is even picking it up now with a very narrow bullseye off Erie this afternoon!  

22C255A5-F812-4122-A778-C0E0841F593D.jpeg

SHAME to the weenie throwers among us!  OVERACHIEVER! 

• Like 1