Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,974
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Sr. Fhrinse William
    Newest Member
    Sr. Fhrinse William
    Joined

September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.


moneypitmike
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm just going through a change. Summer was great with lots of outdoor times, beach etc. I enjoyed it. Now it's back to cold, covid, and cutters.

I’ve noticed the sunlight affects me more as I get older.  I don’t think it’s the cold or warmth.  It’s the light from 4:45am until 9:45pm vs 7am to 4pm that gets me.

Weather I can go outside in anything, just give me light :lol:.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Your world as well. NWS uses it for consistency in record keeping.  Sept 16th is as warm as June 3rd. Using artificial record keeping as a denomination doesn't represent reality but you can live in your own alternative reality world I guess.

Screenshot_20210929-112106_Chrome.jpg

Glad we don't pick a random date in the month to start/stop record keeping.  That would lead to a lot of confusion in a data driven field. June was a warm month as well, +3.6F, so not understanding your point  All this nonsense at the start of this month, about back-broken, was nonsense.  Sitting at +2.8F thru 28 days (and probably slightly higher with 9/8 data missing,  +3.2F at EWB/OWD, +4.2F at PYM).  That's not broke back, that's not seasonable.  That's above normal and solidly at that.  September will be virtually identical to August in the departure department, which many felt was too hot/humid.  Same ole, same ole.  Above average temperature regime hasn't been broken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve noticed the sunlight affects me more as I get older.  I don’t think it’s the cold or warmth.  It’s the light from 4:45am until 9:45pm vs 7am to 4pm that gets me.

Weather I can go outside in anything, just give me light :lol:.

That too. I struggled last winter to be honest and couldn't wait for the warmer weather. Maybe because winter was sort of meh. Hopefully it's active this time. I honestly wonder if 14-15 screwed me up. Like since then, it's been kind of lackluster for me. I haven't had that adrenaline rush like that season. I'm dead serious. Sure some storms get your motor running, but unlike Steve who disrobes to the 3K NAM showing a finger squall coming through Yagoo Valley ski resort, I need the big snow events.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just give me snow from Nov-Mar to keep me occupied. Very easy task. :lol:   

Yeah it’s not hard to do. HHH in late spring and summer with plenty of storms like we had all summer. Now just deliver us winter with snowpack and frequent snow and ice thru the winter. Seasons in seasons. Very simple concept 

  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah it’s not hard to do. HHH in late spring and summer with plenty of storms like we had all summer. Now just deliver us winter with snowpack and frequent snow and ice thru the winter. Seasons in seasons. Very simple concept 

Month behind schedule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That too. I struggled last winter to be honest and couldn't wait for the warmer weather. Maybe because winter was sort of meh. Hopefully it's active this time. I honestly wonder if 14-15 screwed me up. Like since then, it's been kind of lackluster for me. I haven't had that adrenaline rush like that season. I'm dead serious. Sure some storms get your motor running, but unlike Steve who disrobes to the 3K NAM showing a finger squall coming through Yagoo Valley ski resort, I need the big snow events.

You can live almost anywhere in the region and not match that stretch. It’s probably the same feeling that I had after 12/17 when I dumbfoundedly stared at what fell in 12hrs and knew I’d never see anything like that again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You can live almost anywhere in the region and not match that stretch. It’s probably the same feeling that I had after 12/17 when I dumbfoundedly stared at what fell in 12hrs and knew I’d never see anything like that again. 

He needs a few '88-'89s in a row and throw in another couple 2/1/21 screwjies for his BY and he'll be chomping at the bit for a 3-6" event like Ginxy scans the models at 3am for windex events.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He needs a few '88-'89s in a row and throw in another couple 2/1/21 screwjies for his BY and he'll be chomping at the bit for a 3-6" event like Ginxy scans the models at 3am for windex events.

I'll like be at Bridgewater State Hospital if that happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You can live almost anywhere in the region and not match that stretch. It’s probably the same feeling that I had after 12/17 when I dumbfoundedly stared at what fell in 12hrs and knew I’d never see anything like that again. 

It's like Meteorological Molly. Just drains your brain of weather endorphins. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That too. I struggled last winter to be honest and couldn't wait for the warmer weather. Maybe because winter was sort of meh. Hopefully it's active this time. I honestly wonder if 14-15 screwed me up. Like since then, it's been kind of lackluster for me. I haven't had that adrenaline rush like that season. I'm dead serious. Sure some storms get your motor running, but unlike Steve who disrobes to the 3K NAM showing a finger squall coming through Yagoo Valley ski resort, I need the big snow events.

Yeah I could definitely see that.  I mean, without snow, life in New England in the cold season is dark, damp, and dreary.  Having at least snow on the ground goes a long way to brightening things up.  Especially without some weekly activity like skiing or snowmobiling to get some adrenaline and wintry views going.

I can definitely see it… the 5-6 months of darkness for a few months of snow chances that could also just be a cold miserable rain.  It’s not that hard to imagine why people move away for the winter in mid-latitude bands… either further north where that snow and pristine winter appeal is more of a guarantee, or down to like south of the Carolinas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I could definitely see that.  I mean, without snow, life in New England in the cold season is dark, damp, and dreary.  Having at least snow on the ground goes a long way to brightening things up.  Especially without some weekly activity like skiing or snowmobiling to get some adrenaline and wintry views going.

I can definitely see it… the 5-6 months of darkness for a few months of snow chances that could also just be a cold miserable rain.  It’s not that hard to imagine why people move away for the winter in mid-latitude bands… either further north where that snow and pristine winter appeal is more of a guarantee, or down to like south of the Carolinas.

Maybe it's just manopause. I'll probably be the first one typing in a SWFE come December. LOL. Who am I kidding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That too. I struggled last winter to be honest and couldn't wait for the warmer weather. Maybe because winter was sort of meh. Hopefully it's active this time. I honestly wonder if 14-15 screwed me up. Like since then, it's been kind of lackluster for me. I haven't had that adrenaline rush like that season. I'm dead serious. Sure some storms get your motor running, but unlike Steve who disrobes to the 3K NAM showing a finger squall coming through Yagoo Valley ski resort, I need the big snow events.

 It's Yawgoo and maybe you ought to stop and smell the roses instead of getting pricked by the thorns.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I woke up early today (well 8:30...that’s a couple of hours early for me considering I typically put the book down and turn off the lights at 3-3:30AM).   Tons to do and traveling tomorrow evening and need to be out of the house by mid afternoon.  Anyway, I took the doggie in my long pants and a sweater with a jacket over and it felt cool....and I daresay wonderful!   Critters are active, squirrels are fattening by the day, and I think we have a few signs of a potential blockbuster winter ahead.   Not going there yet as there are some caution flags for sure.  But today I’ve made the transition and I’m happy.

One year ago today on my way to the work parking garage I turned in my PIV card to security, drove my car out of the garage and started my path to freedom from the intensity of a relatively high profile job taking up 50-60 hours per week.   Unfortunately family illness required about 1/3 of the past year in Chicago.   Should hopefully be different this winter.  I’m excited!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...