Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,133
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Newest Member
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Joined

Major Hurricane Ida


WxWatcher007
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, ILoveWinter said:

Can someone explain how a hurricane can avoid weakening (or only weaken slightly) while over land? 

Because calling it land in Louisiana can be very generous but the winds are starting to decrease as of the latest advisory.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Can someone explain how a hurricane can avoid weakening (or only weaken slightly) while over land? 

This has been shared previously, but for the most part the “land” that the storm has been over is more so swamp, which will have been largely covered by storm surge, rather than land that would weaken the storm’s structural dynamics.

A satellite image was shared a few pages back that did a great job illustrating this. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CCHurricane said:

This has been shared previously, but for the most part the “land” that the storm has been over is more so swamp, which will have been largely covered by storm surge, rather than land that would weaken the storm’s structural dynamics.

A satellite image was shared a few pages back that did a great job illustrating this. 

Interesting, makes sense.  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 The latest wobble due north is bad news for the New Orleans area, especially for Kenner and even Metairie. Keeping in mind how bad it got in 1965 with Betsy (which was about 12 mb weaker at landfall and on a similar path) and with Ida still holding quite strong, this isn't going to be pretty for that area.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GaWx said:

 The latest wobble due north is bad news for the New Orleans area, especially for Kenner and even Metairie. Keeping in mind how bad it got in 1965 with Betsy (which was about 12 mb weaker at landfall and on a similar path) and with Ida still holding quite strong, this isn't going to be pretty for that area.

I'm more concerned about areas like LaPlace, which has seen a lot of development recently and is prone to flooding, and petrochemical alley including the huge refinery in Garyville. I know those facilities are built to withstand a lot, but they are so far inland, were they ever counting on this type of wind?

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...