Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2021 Banter

George BM

17 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

CoCoRahs requires a particular rain gauge, you aren't supposed to use any of the tipping bucket or other automated gauges.  https://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=store

I've used one of those 4" gauges since 1980's, and also got a tipping bucket maybe a dozen years ago.

It's fun to do, and you'll notice that both gauges agree at certain times of season; but do not agree at other times.  There's nothing to break down on the real gauge, but it does seem to have a secret sign that must say "Bird Outhouse"

1 hour ago, GramaxRefugee said:

I've used one of those 4" gauges since 1980's, and also got a tipping bucket maybe a dozen years ago.

It's fun to do, and you'll notice that both gauges agree at certain times of season; but do not agree at other times.  There's nothing to break down on the real gauge, but it does seem to have a secret sign that must say "Bird Outhouse"

Biggest thing with cylinders is freezing up!

My RM Young tipper is quite accurate.

The biggest joker of the bunch is the Tempest "haptic" sensor.  Might as well use the infamous "weather rock" hanging from a sling! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GramaxRefugee said:

I made a homemade bird spike kit with a cut up wire clothes hanger and a zip tie. 

• Like 1

Looks like our main water line into the house is leaking perhaps at the point where it enters the house. Weird that it would coincide with heavy rain...which tells me maybe it's rain related and not overtly a water supply line issue. None of the 24 hour services seem to have anything until later in the morning - so we are holding for our plumber. Any ideas? 

5 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Looks like our main water line into the house is leaking perhaps at the point where it enters the house. Weird that it would coincide with heavy rain...which tells me maybe it's rain related and not overtly a water supply line issue. None of the 24 hour services seem to have anything until later in the morning - so we are holding for our plumber. Any ideas? 

Is it polybutylene? Is the water line blue?

5 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

I had the same problem in my first townhome.  There water which came into the house from the street entered through some a conduit (i can't remember if it was pvc or steel) and I recall it leaking after Floyd.  I used some of the foam filler and it took care of the problem, but that was back in the 90s and we sold it 2 years later (without more leaking).  

12 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

I would hope that it was brass or steel coming into the house to handle the pressure before it hits the pressure regulator. 

It looks like that point where it enters that reddish wall in the picture is PVC with a boot sort of thing before it goes over to the copper style piping shown in the picture. THe leak has finally slowed to just an occasional drip - telling me it's definitely rain related. We are still waiting for the plumber though. What a night - hoping the rain stays away until this is fixed. Thanking past-me for insisting on sticking a few battery operated water alarms down there. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

It looks like that point where it enters that reddish wall in the picture is PVC with a boot sort of thing before it goes over to the copper style piping shown in the picture. THe leak has finally slowed to just an occasional drip - telling me it's definitely rain related. We are still waiting for the plumber though. What a night - hoping the rain stays away until this is fixed. Thanking past-me for insisting on sticking a few battery operated water alarms down there. 

Those alarms are a godsend!  I didn't have them when my water heater went up, but luckily i noticed that the water wasn't getting hot and went down and shut it off when I saw the heater leaking.  :-)

If there is an issue with the line coming in, They might have to dig up the ground where the water enters the house and check to see why the water is following the pipe down the conduit. 

Just now, toolsheds said:

Those alarms are a godsend!  I didn't have them when my water heater went up, but luckily i noticed that the water wasn't getting hot and went down and shut it off when I saw the heater leaking.  :-)

If there is an issue with the line coming in, They might have to dig up the ground where the water enters the house and check to see why the water is following the pipe down the conduit. 

During all the heavy rain storms this house has been through - never had this happen before. I know the main water line in the front yard was completely replaced due to a leak when I was a youngster. 

We are crossing our fingers it is not the supply line. I would think if it was pure rain water going through the ground it would be more discolored than it is. I don't think it's even brown...

Reading here makes me thing the boot is just for a seal around the pipe to prevent ground water from coming in. It’s dripping now because of all the rain and the pressure that is putting on the water table in the ground. That boot might need to be replaced and sealed better. The water is clear because of the ground. It’s filtered at that point. It’s also not flowing fast enough to agitate the soil and get turbid

• Like 4

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Reading here makes me thing the boot is just for a seal around the pipe to prevent ground water from coming in. It’s dripping now because of all the rain and the pressure that is putting on the water table in the ground. That boot might need to be replaced and sealed better. The water is clear because of the ground. It’s filtered at that point. It’s also not flowing fast enough to agitate the soil and get turbid

agree...when it happened to me as I mentioned above, the water was clear as came in.   I know my expanding foam solution I uses wasn't the best one, but It worked for as long as we lived there...and as a 25 year old, I didn't have foresight to worry about the folks we eventually sold the house to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

@GramaxRefugee yes you can cycle through and get the DP also WC. It is in the temp area. The RH stays just below the temp. 

Thank you for checking. 

In our climate, I've found that the DP is my most used piece of data. ( I live in a woodland near a swamp, so wind is never an issue, and temp is meaningless without DP)

• Like 1

Your main line is copper.  Looks like they passed polyethylene tubing through the wall as a shield and passed the copper through that.  Using rubber reducer couplings and clamps to keep it sealed.  Hydraulic cement and sealer should be applied on both sides around the wall penetration.  Even still, with high hydrostatic pressure from the outside it can weep.

• Like 2

There was a tear in the seal it sounded like. Plumber resolved without issue. Although...we can't be for sure until it pours rain again I guess. But there has been no leaking all day. We added a few more water alarms just to be safe. Probably will be a little on edge for the first rainstorm or two after the repairs. Neighbors house we are watching had some plumbing issues as well - what a week! 

• Like 4

How old is that installation?

Butadiene rubber is pretty resilient but like anything has its limits.  Frost heaving, settling, and seismic activity is the only thing that can think of that could cause it to tear and fail.  If the weeps can be traced to the line itself going back to where the seal meets the line, tightening the clamps down with a nut driver is enough to stop it.

We're on wells up here and I like to see the lines at 36" depth or more, well below the frost line.

City water copper feeds also can transmit vibration from roads if your foundation is <50' from a roadway.  Some communities that have lots of cut through traffic put in traffic humps and I pity anyone that has one in front of their home and lives close to the road!

In any case, those small water alarms are nice.  Especially around the laundry sink!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stormfly said:

How old is that installation?

Butadiene rubber is pretty resilient but like anything has its limits.  Frost heaving, settling, and seismic activity is the only thing that can think of that could cause it to tear and fail.  If the weeps can be traced to the line itself going back to where the seal meets the line, tightening the clamps down with a nut driver is enough to stop it.

We're on wells up here and I like to see the lines at 36" depth or more, well below the frost line.

City water copper feeds also can transmit vibration from roads if your foundation is <50' from a roadway.  Some communities that have lots of cut through traffic put in traffic humps and I pity anyone that has one in front of their home and lives close to the road!

In any case, those small water alarms are nice.  Especially around the laundry sink!

I know there was some work done on that area of piping last year - but not sure if it was that exact part where the line comes into the house. It may have been pretty darn old. The amount of water that was coming in was definitely more than a little. I'm pretty sure had we not had the water alarms we'd have woken up in the morning to a decent amount of flooding in the basement. We haven't had anything like the rain from that night since then - but a few downpours and there's been zero leaking. We've got a dehumidifier running now to dry things out. 

Added two more water alarms to other parts of the basement. For $11 and a 9V battery - it's so worth it. 

House is near our street (up on a hill though) - but it's a dead end street. Probably fewer than 10 cars a day drive on it. 

4 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

I know there was some work done on that area of piping last year - but not sure if it was that exact part where the line comes into the house. It may have been pretty darn old. The amount of water that was coming in was definitely more than a little. I'm pretty sure had we not had the water alarms we'd have woken up in the morning to a decent amount of flooding in the basement. We haven't had anything like the rain from that night since then - but a few downpours and there's been zero leaking. We've got a dehumidifier running now to dry things out. 

Added two more water alarms to other parts of the basement. For $11 and a 9V battery - it's so worth it. 

House is near our street (up on a hill though) - but it's a dead end street. Probably fewer than 10 cars a day drive on it. 

Don't really see much of an issue outside of work being done on aging system.

However if you didn't hear the alarm and suspect you'd find a flood...that definitely sounds well beyond a simple weeping issue!  You should closely monitor during any heavy rain.  Also make sure gutters and grade aren't contributing to water building up next to the foundation walls.  That's always going to be a problem.  Sometimes some excavation is required around the area, clean up the wall nice and seal it up well.  Water ingress on below grade walls is never good even if you have a french drain and pit with pump whisking it away.  The drainage problem needs to be fixed.

• Like 1

I'll put this here instead of the hurricane thread, but when when I see Henri I think of the French pronunciation and Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard and his older brother Maurice "Rocket" Richard.  (Ree-chard)

Henri always stood in Maurice's shadow as the younger brother during his career but has the distinction of the NHL player to have his name carved the most times on the Stanley Cup.  Maurice is the Babe Ruth of hockey but with less vices.  Canada held a state funeral for him.

(Sorry if I bored anyone about hockey history.)

Cicadas are out in full force tonight.

• Like 4

• mappy unpinned this topic