Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 Banter

George BM

29 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Do tell! ;)

And none of the devices here got any EBS alert.  Windows was 1420-1450 EST.  Come and gone.  Failboat has sailed I'm afraid.

Same in our house. The TV did go off with the alert though at 2:20

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

Same in our house. The TV did go off with the alert though at 2:20

Same happened to me.  TV went off, EAS showed up on the DVR, nothing on the devices.  That being said, last week the 2 a.m. boil water alert from DC Water, which didn't impact me at all, came through on my devices.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Do tell! ;)

And none of the devices here got any EBS alert.  Windows was 1420-1450 EST.  Come and gone.  Failboat has sailed I'm afraid.

11 yr old Sorento. Was fine the first 8 years but in the last 3 I’ve done:

2 intake manifold runners($1100 ea), alternator($800), tires cause alignment goes to hell fast and eats up my wheels and now I had a transmission fluid temp sensor go off. 

29 minutes ago, H2O said:

11 yr old Sorento. Was fine the first 8 years but in the last 3 I’ve done:

2 intake manifold runners($1100 ea), alternator($800), tires cause alignment goes to hell fast and eats up my wheels and now I had a transmission fluid temp sensor go off. 

F800C7A3-72A2-4539-A148-ED0918F35302.jpeg

• Haha 3

On 8/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, Stormfly said:

Don't they all follow a 180 school day calendar though?

They just get out in May instead of June.

I remember always starting school after Labor Day.  And if we had a bad winter sometimes going well into the second week of June.  Which made little sense because those "make up days" were spent scrubbing desks with Spic 'N Span or Comet and/or watching movies.  I remember that well, I was the "nerdy" guy running the 16mm Eiki. ;)

Yes this is the first year in quite a while that FCPS is scheduled for the last day on June 1st. If any snow days are used, there are 5, they will be tacked on pushing the last day back by as much as 5 days. But I am so happy that they don't have to go 2-3 weeks into June like they have in the past. And the older Miss J being a Senior will be done sometime around the second week of May. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

So looked to see if there was still storms. Three planes have flown low over our house from the NW to SW. Either DC or Dulles change in flight pattern. 

They were coming over Mount Airy as well.  I had fun seeing where they were coming from on Flight Radar 24. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mappy said:

Just another thank you for being an awesome group of posters. 

This is a generally great group, but I have to say that with what I’ve seen in other parts of the board, especially in recent days, it’s becoming extremely difficult to justify being here in any capacity.

That really breaks my heart because I’ve learned a lot from mets and hobbyists and genuinely enjoy posting/reading about weather (and occasionally sports) here.

This has been the only place I’ve found with the right balance of activity, technical discussion, and enthusiasm to share my passion—but some of you know what I do professionally, and where it’s going…and with some of the stuff here on the broader board…I just know someday I’m going to have to answer for other people’s unacceptable behavior when all I ever wanted to do was have fun talking about weather. 

I suppose that’s the cost of doing anything online. I’m not as sure today that my love of wx is worth sharing in this space. 

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This is a generally great group, but I have to say that with what I’ve seen in other parts of the board, especially in recent days, it’s becoming extremely difficult to justify being here in any capacity.

That really breaks my heart because I’ve learned a lot from mets and hobbyists and genuinely enjoy posting/reading about weather (and occasionally sports) here.

This has been the only place I’ve found with the right balance of activity, technical discussion, and enthusiasm to share my passion—but some of you know what I do professionally, and where it’s going…and with some of the stuff here on the broader board…I just know someday I’m going to have to answer for other people’s unacceptable behavior when all I ever wanted to do was have fun talking about weather. 

I suppose that’s the cost of doing anything online. I’m not as sure today that my love of wx is worth sharing in this space. 

The fact that some things were allowed to fester and sit untouched for months on end was the problem.  Fear of coming off as too mean or restrictive paralyzed taking action.  There are some people who aren't here for the same reasons many of us are.  Or refuse to learn or change.  Plenty of favoritism as well.  Thats why going outside of the MA gets less and less interesting.  There was a reason the effort was made to not let that sort of stuff happen here that's happened elsewhere on the board.  Mods here wanted it to be about the weather.  Thats why we are here.  

I'm sorry you are getting to that point.  I don't want you to go but I respect any decision you make.  Gotta take care of #1 first.  I always appreciate what you add and if its in a limited fashion then that's ok too.  You are always welcome here  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

The fact that some things were allowed to fester and sit untouched for months on end was the problem.  Fear of coming off as too mean or restrictive paralyzed taking action.  There are some people who aren't here for the same reasons many of us are.  Or refuse to learn or change.  Plenty of favoritism as well.  Thats why going outside of the MA gets less and less interesting.  There was a reason the effort was made to not let that sort of stuff happen here that's happened elsewhere on the board.  Mods here wanted it to be about the weather.  Thats why we are here.  

I'm sorry you are getting to that point.  I don't want you to go but I respect any decision you make.  Gotta take care of #1 first.  I always appreciate what you add and if its in a limited fashion then that's ok too.  You are always welcome here  

I appreciate that and to be clear, I’m not trying to be dramatic or take a shot at mods or anyone who wants to go off topic without going overboard. For most people, what happens here stays here and the overwhelming majority of the conversation that I’ve seen is fine.

But that other part is tough. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

there are a lot of unfortunate things that have happened this week elsewhere. I've been watching from the wings. Lot of insults, a few warnings and bannings have taken place because of it. Its just ugly and not good. 

That is also why I just stay here, where everyone is nice and kind and we don't call each other whores or bitches. 

• Like 4

That's why I never wander out of this forum. If you can stick around just in here, please do. 

• Like 4

I appreciate that and to be clear, I’m not trying to be dramatic or take a shot at mods or anyone who wants to go off topic without going overboard. For most people, what happens here stays here and the overwhelming majority of the conversation that I’ve seen is fine.

But that other part is tough. 

You can take a shot at me. I’m a terrible secret mod. Just ask Pivot Point. Lol

But I agree that some things are tough to see and read when all you want to do is have fun and share things. Why I stay after all these years def says something about my personality. Hahaha. It ain’t the snow that keeps me around. 

must be something else..

JMHO but take it from someone that has email  from the early 80s. ;)

You have to have thick skin.  That's what I like about the internet.  I'm in control of what I want to see/read, et al. Unlike TV or radio where my only option is to change channels.  The whole linear vs. random thing.  Ignore features are OK but I choose to use a mental ignore just like I NEVER soley depend on firearm's safety.  Just don't play that way.

People are cruel and most trolls thrive off reactions of others.  Just like your favorite bus stop or park bench.  If you don't want to sit in pigeon shit, don't feed the winged rats! :P

• mappy unpinned this topic