Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday, June 30, 2021 Severe Potential

weatherwiz

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Crushed, wind?

I would say it gusted close to 50. There’s a good amount of Oak debris everywhere. But the lightning was the most intense show I have ever seen. There was 3-4 minute period of just blast after blast right on top . It was almost non stop . Sirens are everywhere and the smell of wood is in the air . That was awesome man 

J1Zf0nB.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I would say it gusted close to 50. There’s a good amount of Oak debris everywhere. But the lightning was the most intense show I have ever seen. There was 3-4 minute period of just blast after blast right on top . It was almost non stop . Sirens are everywhere and the smell of wood is in the air . That was awesome man 

J1Zf0nB.jpg

Sweet saw radar indicated 50 mph right on top of you

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

J1Zf0nB.jpg

I saw that blow up right over you, looks like it's just going to miss to my south

7 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tornadoes_striking_downtown_areas_of_large_cities

I think one of the more memorable ones,  though only an F2, was in Salt Lake City. 

How about the one in Atlanta during the SEC championship basketball semifinals a dozen or so years ago?

There was also a massive tornado that blew through North Dallas in 2019 while I was living there, though it didn’t hit the CBD. 

https://www.weather.gov/fwd/tornadoes-october2019

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/college/recalling-the-tornado-2008-sec-tournament/AYY5lYigBSdqdzWeI7jeFM/%3foutputType=amp

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I saw that blow up right over you, looks like it's just going to miss to my south

I’ve watched these over the years and I’ve noticed something. When there’s big dews and cape.. they almost always blow up as they move over the valley and hit the hills . It happens very often . The setup has to be right , but you can almost predict it to some degree 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve watched these over the years and I’ve noticed something. When there’s big dews and cape.. they almost always blow up as they move over the valley and hit the hills . It happens very often . The setup has to be right , but you can almost predict it to some degree 

I did think the outflow to the north sparked it up...could see it in velocity. Boundaries galore today. That was a nasty cell.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I did think the outflow to the north sparked it up...could see it in velocity. Boundaries galore today. That was a nasty cell.

Def have had ones with stronger winds and hail.. but that lightning. That was a special and one I’ll always remember. 

Lets see what tomorrow brings on a more widespread basis 

34 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I was thinking of a congested city with high rises and office buildings.

SLC is probably the best example like PowderBeard said. But if your looking for an actual violent tornado cutting through the heart of a major downtown area with high rises etc. we don’t have that on the record books as far as I’m aware of. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

J1Zf0nB.jpg

So is there damage in Tolland?  Is the power out because I am sure Eversource will be right on that.  Congrats on the light show and the good drink!

50 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

J1Zf0nB.jpg

Nice dude.  Glad you and the fam are okay

Just catching up. Nice disco, @weatherwiz. Tomorrow looks active.

Did you see some of the 3km NAM DCAPE numbers around here? The BOX discussion was pretty good, albeit short. Potential for a higher end day if things line up. I would not be surprised at all to see the ENH pushed a little further south into northern CT. Let's see what the landscape looks like tomorrow...