Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday, June 30, 2021 Severe Potential

weatherwiz

59 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah the plan is to probably go into MA. Maybe around Springfield. 

Drive an extra 25 minutes NE to the Old Enfield Lookout around the Quabbin. There is also the stone tower at the top for a better view. Can see west to Greylock, north to Monadnock, and east to Wachusett. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

85/71, Just been a brutal stretch, Fire em up this afternoon.

"New Sharon heat wave"  (Given the transpirational cooling here in the woods, 85 is my threshold.)
Last 3 days have been 86.64; 92/68*; 87/65.  Dews peaked at 70-71 (judged by nearby sites) on Monday.  If the clouds hold together we might not crack the 85 mark.  Would not help convection if that happens, and I've read some rumors of a north-south 7-10 with central Maine in the middle of the alley.
* That 80.0 mean is the warmest I've recorded since moving here in May 1998.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

"New Sharon heat wave"  (Given the transpirational cooling here in the woods, 85 is my threshold.)
Last 3 days have been 86.64; 92/68*; 87/65.  Dews peaked at 70-71 (judged by nearby sites) on Monday.  If the clouds hold together we might not crack the 85 mark.  Would not help convection if that happens, and I've read some rumors of a north-south 7-10 with central Maine in the middle of the alley.
* That 80.0 mean is the warmest I've recorded since moving here in May 1998.

Ha, I expect it here, That's usually what happens, We had a rogue cell monday afternoon that dropped .10 in about 10 mins.

HRRR/GFS pretty bullish on dewpoints mixing out. That does make sense when you consider the fact that sfc winds may have a more westerly component, however, llvl moisture is pretty rich with pretty high theta-e air. Based on the setup I would expect dewpoint pooling. I don't think we'll see dewpoints as high as the NAM is advertising (maybe over a small area) but they should remain in the 70-73F. I'd be stunned if they dropped into the 60's

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ha, I expect it here, That's usually what happens, We had a rogue cell monday afternoon that dropped .10 in about 10 mins.

Our little rogue started 5 minutes after my 9 PM obs for Monday, so Tuesday's report includes 0.11" in a 10-minute weak TS - almost a twin with yours.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I was over in AUB and missed it :(

The "Enhanced" area has been extended to just north of LEW.  However, the "Slight" area has shrunk both from north and south, with Moosehead Lake and points north downgraded to "Marginal".   It's our 2nd time this month to be in the yellow zone.  1st time it included all of Maine north of LEW, so of course it was York and Cumberland that got pounded (while the homefront remained dusty).  Maybe today hammers Aroostook?

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The "Enhanced" area has been extended to just north of LEW.  However, the "Slight" area has shrunk both from north and south, with Moosehead Lake and points north downgraded to "Marginal".   It's our 2nd time this month to be in the yellow zone.  1st time it included all of Maine north of LEW, so of course it was York and Cumberland that got pounded (while the homefront remained dusty).  Maybe today hammers Aroostook?

Pretty healthy cell just went thru Topsfield.

2F2738B7-89F2-4183-A67B-29D0BA50320B.png

Still heat-wavy out there but the DPs are 3 ( averaged..) F lower at NWS sites comparing yesterday at this time.

Also, some sites +1 while others are -3, so the temperature is - on average - slightly lower than yesterday at this time. 

But, these variances are likely beneath anyone's sensible ability to notice - ha.  I mean 91/68 or 92/72 ... it's probably meaningless.

It may matter for convective thresholds/ .. instability triggers and so forth - that's what BUFKIT's for I suppose.

I wonder what the 12z actual soundings look like.

Regional hi res vis loop sat coverage is impressively barren SE of a baroclinic cloud swipe over far NW/St L Seaway - there's not even early fractal CU there despite 88 to 92 F by 10:30 am.  

DPs may be 2 to 3 off yesterday at this time, but still in the upper 60s, but the LC level should have more fractals. 

also, I wonder if there is CIN/'cap' in in the region.  Noted, 588 dam isohypses still runs roughtly PIT-PWM so, we may need some recession/ .. falls to commence - that could be interesting as a "release" type of initiation.   Pretty cool, you see a CU, go get a soda, and by the time you get back it's a cotton ball with overshooting hot tower expanding -