Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Last minute changes like that are why we are not traveling overseas right now. Big risk of ending up stuck in a hotel for two weeks. 

They recently dropped the testing requirement when landing (if fully vaxxed). 
This has to be a test done before you leave the US.  not a huge deal for now. 

But I get not wanting to travel until this is all done.  I really want to see the volcano

• Like 1

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

We also need to be tested before we come home   That is the bigger risk as far as quarantine problems   My bank account will cry if we need to stay 10 days longer

But I get not wanting to travel until this is all done.  I really want to see the volcano

10 minutes ago, natedizel said:

Sick of this mask bs. Vaccines been out now. Get it or dont. Lets move on.

It makes me wish i never got the vaccine. And if there is a booster they can keep it.

The mask thing is what pisses the most people off. I’m tired of getting blamed for the increase in positives because we’re not masking enough. The UK, South Korea, etc etc have been pretty mask compliment and they have exponential increases in positives. I’m not sure why it’s still being pushed as a mitigation measure. And if the govt wants to get the vaccine hesitant to get vaxed, reimposing mask mandates for everyone won’t help their cause one iota. 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Don’t get cloned ;)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The Dow is down 800 point on "delta fears"  LOLZ

I’ll have to go back and look for it but about a week and a half ago there was a new poster in one of the stock sub Reddit’s that said to cash out profits on Friday the 16th because there’s going to be a big pullback on Monday the 19th.  Either a lucky guess or they knew something was up.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’ll have to go back and look for it but about a week and a half ago there was a new poster in one of the stock sub Reddit’s that said to cash out profits on Friday the 16th because there’s going to be a big pullback on Monday the 19th.  Either a lucky guess or they knew something was up.

There are probably dozens of people saying the same anytime valuations get up there.   Some get lucky. Some might know something. 

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

People are very on-edge now. I try to keep my distance from most. IMO, Karen-types that still stroll up to strangers and start lecturing them about customer service or some other offense are just asking to get beaten or worse in this environment. 

Serious question-has this actually happened?   I mean people talk about strangers behind their back but I’ve never seen someone get into some random person’s face from some perceived offense....

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Agree!   I guess those of us who had their kids get educated pre pandemic are very lucky....

yeah it's ugly for sure-mine are going into 7th with basically a lost year.  We went back full time in March, but prior to that it was a full year of either full remote or partial remote which was all a big waste of time.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Meh.  Rapid test is no big deal. 
Ot do you mean false positives?

Yeah false positives, too risky for me. Was going to go to Europe but sticking with the USA until at least next year. We have a trip planned to Chile/Argentina in March of next year, but even that might have to be delayed. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Serious question-has this actually happened?   I mean people talk about strangers behind their back but I’ve never seen someone get into some random person’s face from some perceived offense....

It happens. I see people yelling at retail workers and restaurant servers sometimes, for example. Some people may not view that as an aggressive move, but these days I don’t think it is worth having a confrontation with someone to simply “give them a piece of your mind.” Many people are on edge and could snap. 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It happens. I see people yelling at retail workers and restaurant servers sometimes, for example. Some people may not view that as an aggressive move, but these days I don’t think it is worth having a confrontation with someone to simply “give them a piece of your mind.” Many people are on edge and could snap. 

I have no problem saying something if I see someone really being an asshole and treating someone badly for no reason. IMO, there are too many assholes out there and it should be called out. 

It's ugly and counter -WOKE perhaps to even make the verbal jest but -

Pandemic disease and die-backs are a part of the natural order.

To attempt to circumvent that proxy by nature, can and most probably will destination toward emergent consequences.

Namely, a lost generation of techno addled nimrods - lol.

Seriously though, the human is adaptable and it probably won't be as bad as all that.  But, this bit of experimental evolutionary passage Humanity has just ... still "is" going through, is really the first time that proxy mentioned above has ever really been direclty competed with - I think that's interesting.

Ladies and gentlemen!  In this corner we have 3 billion years of biological periodicity between boon health, vs population correction eras, along with a lot of luck that the latter doesn't result in an extinction event ...etc etc. 

In this other corner, weighing in nearly 8 billion, we have human technology and the first species ( ha, "that we know of..." ) ever in the history of this planet's biota that approaches the wherewithal to challenge that model.

It's like we may win this boxing match - but how do we fair in post dementia pugilistica?  Uh, you know, punch-drunk syndrome. 

It's probably ultimately the same shit as that PCS ... Anyway, so we're beating our brains out proving we can win against that old adversary but at what cost -  

Hopefully it won't be like the zen-master story in "Charlie Wilson's War" ( fine movie by the way!)   ...Which was really - I 'think' - a reprisal for that script of the old proverb about the "The Old Man Lost His Horse" ? ..In any case, both versions tell a fast story that amounts to how bad(good) luck ...tends to set off a chain of events that ironically causes longer term counter states of fortune. 

Hell, here's the zen -master version (c/o https://www.moviefanatic.com/quotes/movies/charlie-wilsons-war/  )

"There's a little boy and on his 14th birthday he gets a horse... and everybody in the village says, 'how wonderful. the boy got a horse'

And the Zen master says, 'we'll see.'

Two years later The boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everybody in the village says, 'how terrible.'

And the Zen master says, 'We'll see.'

Then a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight... except the boy can't cause his legs messed up, and everyone in the village says, 'How wonderful.'  

And the Zen master says, 'We'll see.'

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have no problem saying something if I see someone really being an asshole and treating someone badly for no reason. IMO, there are too many assholes out there and it should be called out. 

Intervening to help someone is a little different than what I am saying, but still kinda risky. It will probably be fine, but there seems to be a greater chance these days of ending up being beaten senseless while someone records it on their iPhone. 

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Yes if you have money to go to catholic  schools.

Our grandkids in NJ have been home-schooled since the get go, though the oldest - 9th grade - took a science class in the nearby Christian school this past school year.  Was a relief to them (and us) when the pandemic arrived.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The violent crime stats get the headlines, but public spaces are chock full of little outbursts of less violent encounters now. Shoplifting, assault, bag/purse theft, car jacking, verbal harassment, etc. It’s simply a huge risky hassle to walk down the street in a place like San Fran now. 

Oh christ what  - did something happen out there ?

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Our grandkids in NJ have been home-schooled since the get go, though the oldest - 9th grade - took a science class in the nearby Christian school this past school year.  Was a relief to them (and us) when the pandemic arrived.

Yeah ...my neighbors have home schooled their kittens whole way, 4 daughters worth.  The two eldest, twins, are entering high school this next year.

I guess the way it works in Mass is that if you want to do home schooling ... you can be sent schoolastic sort of 'achievement milestones' exams, and the kids prepare for them ...however it is that the home, and the schooling, actually marry. The state and public domain is out of the picture as that happens.   Built into the tax codes as a option I guess.

Anyway, it was interesting sitting in their yard with them discussing this last 18 months, and gathering in their perspective on the reality of the thing.  There was an unmistakable kind of "meh" behind fun articulation, almost glib due to lax urgency. Like you get from people in a room watching a dystopian movie and discussing what they were seeing, rather than actually being a part of it.   lol - seriously though.  

Their kids have not missed anything.  Just sort of had to deal with not getting to go over to their friends houses for the time. But they didn't miss a day of education or testing mandate or anything.  No clue.  World seen through 7 to 14 year old lenses, but not necessarily responsible within.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I love that when the market is shaky investors flock to the “safe haven” dollar.

The dollar is the best of the fiat Currency’s by far as its the international standard . Calls for its demise have been ..I dunno overplayed for decades by people who give the “I hate the fed perspective too much weight “. US bond  market is the most liquid and largest in the world by a mile 

If the dollar is dethroned, it will likely be part of a deep financial reset / crash  and while its prudent to prepare for one, I definitely wouldn’t invest like there will be such a event . 

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The dollar is the best of the fiat Currency’s by far as its the international standard . Calls for its demise have been ..I dunno overplayed for decades by people who give the “I hate the fed perspective too much weight “. US bond  market is the most liquid and largest in the world by a mile 

If the dollar is dethroned, it will likely be part of a deep financial reset / crash  

Enter crypto.

Although it's treated more like digital gold there's enough variance and development to potentially challenge fiat eventually.

The dollar has been losing its value every year and even more now and that ain't stopping anytime soon with trillions being printed annually.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Has it happened?  Sure has.  The chances of you experiencing it day-to-day are slim.  Perception of it happening regularly is (over) amplified by social media.  There are people who get sucked into believing what they see online is real life, fear it, and adjust their activities and plans based on this perceived risk of encountering it. Exhibit A below.  I'm lucky to live in a place where public spaces aren't "chock full of little outbursts."  But I was also walking and biking the streets of San Fran a year ago without concern, either.

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The violent crime stats get the headlines, but public spaces are chock full of little outbursts of less violent encounters now. Shoplifting, assault, bag/purse theft, car jacking, verbal harassment, etc. It’s simply a huge risky hassle to walk down the street in a place like San Fran now. 

4 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Has it happened?  Sure has.  The chances of you experiencing it day-to-day are slim.  Perception of it happening regularly is (over) amplified by social media.  There are people who get sucked into believing what they see online is real life, fear it, and adjust their activities and plans based on this perceived risk of encountering it. Exhibit A below.  I'm lucky to live in a place where public spaces aren't "chock full of little outbursts."  But I was also walking and biking the streets of San Fran a year ago without concern, either.

You are probably like the people I know who live in Baltimore and try to tell me that getting mugged “isn’t that bad as long as you cooperate and they need the money more than you anyway.” Whatever helps you sleep at night. Wouldn’t catch me anywhere near a homeless encampment in San Fran right now, though. But not having me there means more room for you so win-win!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2