Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Still loving the June 10-12 or June 10-13 period for severe weather here...like an actual really good setup. Going to Chicago on a train trip 17-20...hopefully a derecho will blow through there

Everyone is talking about the cold rainy MDW in the MAY discussion thread and you just can’t help yourself with d15-20 severe potential in June. 

Triple buns for you: 

• Like 1

My take:

Some time late Saturday night the “warm” front will press northwest of southeast coast as the SE ridge builds and that will set the stage for round two. I say “warm” because it’s the difference of 60’s and low 70’s with dews vs 40’s and low 50’s and dewless...Not warm but relatively...yes...

That will set the stage for the tropical —like deluge Sunday pm . Compact Quick hitter, and Monday looks good. 70’s, sunny and dry for most.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

My take:

Some time late Saturday night the “warm” front will press northwest of southeast coast as the SE ridge builds and that will set the stage for round two. I say “warm” because it’s the difference of 60’s and low 70’s with dews vs 40’s and low 50’s and dewless...Not warm but relatively...yes...

That will set the stage for the tropical —like deluge Sunday pm . Compact Quick hitter, and Monday looks good. 70’s, sunny and dry for most.

Could be some +RA on the north side of that theta-e gradient. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Still 39 here. Pretty impressive for 10 AM on this date I think. 

Record For BML for the date since the ASOS began is 27° in 97. I’ll have to look up the data for that date. But yeah, near record lows with rad cooling and then clouds streaming in around daybreak is a good recipe for a relatively cold morning. 

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This seems like still some tricks up it’s sleeves . Could end up fairly different than straight model runs 

Sorry I'm late to the ball-game ...haven't seen much since yesterday until just this last hour. 

It looks like the Euro's 12z to 00z trend is trying to edge the "second wave" (Sunday/Mon)  farther E in time but ... the American models are hinting ...this whole synopsis is slowly devolving away from cyclogenesis, to more of an active overrunning soupy warm front.  The GFS still thinks it's the blizzard of '78 regardless ..

I've seen these countless times... The cold front that came trough yesterday does have a minoring lead wave along tonight... tho vastly over wrought in recent NAM solutions... But then that smears off and heights abandon and fill on either side, and leave the surface trough as more of a theta-e leading edge and a DP surge that moves back N with retrograding vestigial frontal pressure trough... It could actually be ( warm and muggy relatively speaking...) Sunday evening, though wet as hell.  ..then the whole thing just sort of disappears late Monday... and then the rest of next week looks like 78/73 murk with mold problems ... great. 

SIgnificant heat trying to set up in the extended... we'll see on that.

But the ..."unusual aspects" of this weekends over-arcing synoptic evolution means that there is bit higher uncertainty involved. Maybe one can get lucky.  Otherwise, I think this is not an outdoor weekend. 

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is some pretty hefty frontogenesis across the state. 60+ knot LLJ too coming off the ATL

image.png.e895ee86f1ca2fb0d07144196d255f1b.png

Yeah ... 'frontogenesis' is right - as in, the temperature gradient along an actual warm front.

The more I look at this...it appears like the "fuzzier" physics of mid range modeling were 'miss-interpreting' the whole weekend as a slow moving coastal/Nor'easter.

But as we are getting into the short range on this thing ...it's devolving away from that to more of lead warm frontal wave tonight, followed by a murk day tomorrow afternoon in wait as the whole vestigial baroclinic axis retrogrades back N as a warm front.   I think "Pope" poster ...like 'jenet' can't recall his handle ...here it is, jbenedet, mentioned this yesterday, credit to him, but I agreed at the time: heights are trying to bulge WAR-like back west toward the EC.. 

You can actually see this in the D4-10 Euro ...in the sense that it's trend over the last few cycles is to raise height everywhere over the east coast ...and in order to get there...the support for that sort of cyclogen is washing out .. OR, just notice the mid level/500 mb trough circumvallate is filling.  In fact, by 60 hours, the 00z oper. Euro is 576 dm in a state of rapid filling...and the GFS is still trying to fester a 568 dm hole with that thing. 

I've been wailing about the GFS depth bias for months... strikes me suspect

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Sorry I'm late to the ball-game ...haven't seen much since yesterday until just this last hour. 

It looks like the Euro's 12z to 00z trend is trying to edge the "second wave" (Sunday/Mon)  farther E in time but ... the American models are hinting ...this whole synopsis is slowly devolving away from cyclogenesis, to more of an active overrunning soupy warm front.  The GFS still thinks it's the blizzard of '78 regardless ..

I've seen these countless times... The cold front that came trough yesterday does have a minoring lead wave along tonight... tho vastly over wrought in recent NAM solutions... But then that smears off and heights abandon and fill on either side, and leave the surface trough as more of a theta-e leading edge and a DP surge that moves back N with retrograding vestigial frontal pressure trough... It could actually be ( warm and muggy relatively speaking...) Sunday evening, though wet as hell.  ..then the whole thing just sort of disappears late Monday... and then the rest of next week looks like 78/73 murk with mold problems ... great. 

SIgnificant heat trying to set up in the extended... we'll see on that.

But the ..."unusual aspects" of this weekends over-arcing synoptic evolution means that there is bit higher uncertainty involved. Maybe one can get lucky.  Otherwise, I think this is not an outdoor weekend. 

Days and days of dews 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah ... 'frontogenesis' is right - as in, the temperature gradient along an actual warm front.

The more I look at this...it appears like the "fuzzier" physics of mid range modeling were 'miss-interpreting' the whole weekend as a slow moving coastal/Nor'easter.

But as we are getting into the short range on this thing ...it's devolving away from that to more of lead warm frontal wave tonight, followed by a murk day tomorrow afternoon in wait as the whole vestigial baroclinic axis retrogrades back N as a warm front.   I think "Pope" poster ...like 'jenet' can't recall his handle ...here it is, jbenedet, mentioned this yesterday, credit to him, but I agreed at the time: heights are trying to bulge WAR-like back west toward the EC.. 

You can actually see this in the D4-10 Euro ...in the sense that it's trend over the last few cycles is to raise height everywhere over the east coast ...and in order to get there...the support for that sort of cyclogen is washing out .. 

No his first name ain’t Janet .. it’s Pope.. Miss Pope if you nasty 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The more I look at this...it appears like the "fuzzier" physics of mid range was - excuse the anthropomorphism - miss-interpreting the whole weekend as a slow moving coastal/Nor'easter.

But as we are getting into the short range on this thing ...it's devolving away from that to more of lead warm frontal wave tonight, followed by a murk day tomorrow afternoon in wait as the whole vestigial baroclinic axis retrogrades back N as a warm front.   I think "Pope" poster ...like 'jenet' can't recall his handle ...mentioned this yesterday, credit to him, but I agreed with him at the time.  You can actually see this in the D4-10 Euro ...in the sense that it's trend over the last few cycles is to raise height everywhere over the east coast ...and in order to get there...the support for that sort of cyclogen is washing out .. 

Agreed and that was a great call...this has definitely moved away from a cyclogenesis aspect (for tonight)...which probably does favor the idea of a region wide soaker b/c the drivers behind the rain are now different. 

Starting to get quite intrigued with Sunday night/Monday though...you could argue that's an even stronger signal for torrential rain...screaming southerly flow to the tropopause with LP just to our West.