Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Agreed and that was a great call...this has definitely moved away from a cyclogenesis aspect (for tonight)...which probably does favor the idea of a region wide soaker b/c the drivers behind the rain are now different. 

Starting to get quite intrigued with Sunday night/Monday though...you could argue that's an even stronger signal for torrential rain...screaming southerly flow to the tropopause with LP just to our West. 

Mm ...no, not 'screaming' (2nd bold).  Getting a bit excited ? 

This is really a 'weak setup' .. .One that is in a sense getting lucky that there aren't butterflies flapping wings to interfere.  Those are 30 ...maybe 40 kt streamline geostrophic flows coming around the eastern side of a filling trough at levels ...

But yeah tonight ... unusual polar pressure wall uprights the 700 mb flow over the surface front to maximize isentropic lift rains.  They can gush... I don't have a problem with emerald greening the lawns ... but after that surge peels away tomorrow ... Does the vestigial frontal washout like the ICON... Or, does it surge N with the extremeness of the NAM. 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is really a 'weak setup' .. .One that is in a sense getting lucky that there aren't butterflies flapping wings to interfere.  Those are 30 ...maybe 40 kt streamline geostrophic flows coming around the eastern side of a filling trough at levels ...

maybe screaming was a bit much but it's still a pretty strong flow for the time of year...30-40 knots in the lower-levels with 60-70 knots in the mid-levels...I guess more appropriate term would be deep southerly flow

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

maybe screaming was a bit much but it's still a pretty strong flow for the time of year...30-40 knots in the lower-levels with 60-70 knots in the mid-levels...I guess more appropriate term would be deep southerly flow

what ?  where are you seeing that -

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

2021052812_NAM_078_42.69,-71.62_severe_ml.png

oh, okay ...I was implicitly clear all morning and going back to the summer of 2017 that I don't use the GFS -

lol-

Do you program these sounding tools with the Euro parameters ?  I'm curious what those look like.  The Synoptic charts at Pivotal are 40 to 50 kts at 500 mb sigma,  between 60 and 72 hours..and paltry at 700 mb.

That's actually an interesting model fight there.  I mean yeah ... 70 kts is substantially more conservation of mass argument forcing ...where 45 kts in the Euro is probably below the atmosphere threshold ... No wonder -

This is an experimental op!   We should see how this trough verifies because... The Euro is shallower with the trough depth by 60 hours ..by 6 to 10 dm, and GFS being deeper likely atones for it having to accommodate that depth with fast mlv winds

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

oh, okay ...I was implicitly clear all morning and going back to the summer of 2017 that I don't use the GFS -

lol-

Do you program these sounding tools with the Euro parameters ?  I'm curious what those look like.  The Synoptic charts at Pivotal are 40 to 50 kts at 500 mb sigma,  between 60 and 72 hours..and paltry at 700 mb.

That's actually an interesting model fight there.  I mean yeah ... 70 kts is substantially more conservation of mass argument forcing ...where 45 kts in the Euro is probably below the atmosphere threshold ... No wonder -

This is an experimental op!   We should see how this trough verifies because... The Euro is shallower with the trough depth by 60 hours ..by 6 to 10 dm, and GFS being deeper likely atones for it having to accommodate that depth with fast mlv winds

That would be a really awesome idea. Actually I think if you subscribe on Pivotal can't you get euro soundings? 

56 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

But yeah tonight ... unusual polar pressure wall uprights the 700 mb flow over the surface front to maximize isentropic lift rains.  They can gush... I don't have a problem with emerald greening the lawns ... but after that surge peels away tomorrow ... Does the vestigial frontal washout like the ICON... Or, does it surge N with the extremeness of the NAM. 

I'd bet after tonight's event many areas are just overcast and cool rest of weekend with some light rain showers here and there....just a hunch 

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Probably will be some localized flooding around here given how hard and dry everything is.

Unless it's in the sun all day, the soil isn't that bad at all. At least in my area. We had .27" the other day. Any flooding would be more from heavy rain in a short period. There won't be river issues and things like that though unless you get 5"+.

36 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'd bet after tonight's event many areas are just overcast and cool rest of weekend with some light rain showers here and there....just a hunch 

yeah...sort of thinking that too .. but... these models don't put out 'impossible' solutions, either.  I mean if they did, they wouldn't be modeling weather ..they just be a waste of electronics. heh

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm glad we had a warm March. 

Honestly hard to complain after the past 2 weeks of warm weather...we've been pretty lucky for a lot of spring actually, but it sucks that this is happening on Memorial Day weekend. Even Monday looks awful too...though maybe we hit 55F instead of 47F.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Honestly hard to complain after the past 2 weeks of warm weather...we've been pretty lucky for a lot of spring actually, but it sucks that this is happening on Memorial Day weekend. Even Monday looks awful too...though maybe we hit 55F instead of 47F.

Yeah the timing sucks. Just absolutely sucks. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Probably won't cut west and wedges until fropa.

Yeah I don't see this warm sectoring us with a high northeast of ME. NAM tries but I'll bet against that unless we see a stronger neg tilt/vorticity to force it inland.

• Like 1