Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

36 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Certainly is a pit, but a picturesque one at least....the diurnal ranges have been pretty impressive since we moved here. There have been a few instances that we are 15+ degrees different from the OXC numbers, we are roughly 9 miles away

Lol..I wasn’t Meaning it was an ugly area by any means. Just that it’s in a gully and you get the cold to settle in there in a big way.  

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

oh hail the mighty cold pool 

Look at these numbers (NAM FOUS) for Logan Friday during the day ...  That d(t) ( vertical lapse rate) = 19 C between 980 mb at 800 mb level!!  

C'mon...that's like the inside an a-bomb mushroom cloud.  The 51 and 55 on the far left is the R2 sigma level, which I believe is the 700 mb ...showing a slight elevation > 50% relative humidity so the model is seeing cloud contamination in the lifted LCL ... The LIs are listed here too ( just not bold) also, down to 1 ...so modestly unstable. But  suspect that's only 'modest' because this is missing substantive DP.  The lapse rate here is impressive - I'm a fan of lapse rate.  Meanwhile, that 45 and 46 spelled out is the 545 and 546 dm thickness.   So, this NAM run has a 20 C (980 ...which is probably about 24 or even 25 in the 2-meter on a WNW katabatic flow)  under 545 thickness, with a 800 mb of 1 ??  

uh... yeah I bet this has an few over achieving TCU dappled about the open terrain over land ... 

54000355123 -1701 213005 45 201101   
60000345521 01901 213205 46 201201     

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Look at these numbers (NAM FOUS) for Logan Friday during the day ...  That d(t) ( vertical lapse rate) = 19 C between 980 mb at 800 mb level!!  

C'mon...that's like the inside an a-bomb mushroom cloud.  The 51 and 55 on the far left is the R2 sigma level, which I believe is the 700 mb ...showing a slight elevation > 50% relative humidity so the model is seeing cloud contamination in the lifted LCL ... The LIs are listed here too ( just not bold) also, down to 1 ...so modestly unstable. But  suspect that's only 'modest' because this is missing substantive DP.  The lapse rate here is impressive - I'm a fan of lapse rate.  Meanwhile, that 45 and 46 spelled out is the 545 and 546 dm thickness.   So, this NAM run has a 20 C (980 ...which is probably about 24 or even 25 in the 2-meter on a WNW katabatic flow)  under 545 thickness, with a 800 mb of 1 ??  

uh... yeah I bet this has an few over achieving TCU dappled about the open terrain over land ... 

54000355123 -1701 213005 45 201101   
60000345521 01901 213205 46 201201     

Only thing we may be lacking is stronger shortwave support. The NAM/GFS have a pretty impressive shortwave actually close off as it's passing south of us and this is also the core of the cold pool with H5 temps approaching -25C!

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Only thing we may be lacking is stronger shortwave support. The NAM/GFS have a pretty impressive shortwave actually close off as it's passing south of us and this is also the core of the cold pool with H5 temps approaching -25C!

Probably should point out ... this is all predicated on the silly assumption that the NAM's 48 - 60 hour handling of ass wiping can ever be done correctly ... let alone what it is designed for... just so we're clear.

Still, because the global runs ( Euro ...GGEM ...etc..) have that lingering cyclonic curvature  ... staggered back mid-level cool pool aspect ...it does offer some hope for crispy edged TCU.  The NAM may just be going over-board in the particulars relative to that overall aspect.  Frid-Sunday afternoons..... and this run just being the first of them three days. 

That said, if this run's metrics played out ...  I wouldn't focus on needing idealized mechanics, not when the lapse rates get that volatile.  That's getting into butterfly fart sensitivity there.  Granted, we're not talking about cotton swab explosions on high res vis satellite loops here.  Just whether there's some picturesque golf cart zappers here and there. 

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Probably should point out ... this is all predicated on the silly assumption that the NAM's 48 - 60 hour handling of ass wiping can ever be done correctly ... let alone what it is designed for... just so we're clear.

Still, because the global runs ( Euro ...GGEM ...etc..) have that lingering cyclonic curvature  ... staggered back mid-level cool pool aspect ...it does offer some hope for crispy edged TCU.  The NAM may just be going over-board in the particulars relative to that overall aspect.  Frid-Sunday afternoons..... and this run just being the first of them three days. 

That said, if this run's metrics played out ...  I wouldn't focus on needing idealized mechanics, not when the lapse rates get that volatile.  That's getting into butterfly fart sensitivity there.  Granted, we're not talking about cotton swab explosions on high res vis satellite loops here.  Just whether there's some picturesque golf cart zappers here and there. 

The SPC does have thunderstorm probabilities across the Northeast so they at least think the support is there and SPC SREF spitting out enough probs to spark an interest

image.thumb.png.c767bd62cdbc9ca9c6f5e663a082e313.png

Anecdotally ... we've been noticing that just about anything that can flower in/do to spring re-awakening has done so much more robustly than recent years, this time.

From maple floweretts to Lilac shrubbery ...all these are gracing us with utopic visual displays and aromatic splendor like we've landed on a new Pandora this season.

Not sure what it is...but we've been speculating that maybe the air is purer from the recent years 30 someodd % reduction in Industrial farts all over the planet.  We've noticed many more prism clarity blue skies when not raining ..with far less of that pall sort of muted color vibe.  Well .... like today. It's particularly sharp edged shadows out there with nape-bake pretty much off the scale.  And contrary to drought mongering ... we are not really in too bad off of shape in top/root soil moisture. 

Anyway, this might lend to increased pollen production ??  just a thought -

also, we are seeing more honey bees - that's a great sign. 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Anecdotally ... we've been noticing that just about anything that can flower in/do to spring re-awakening has done so much more robustly than recent years, this time.

From maple floweretts to Lilal shrubbery ...all these are gracing us with utopic visual displays and aromatic splendor like we've landed on a new Pandora this season.

Not sure what it is...but we've been speculating that maybe the air is purer from the recent years 30 someodd % reduction in Industrial farts all over the planet.  We've noticed many more prism clarity blue skies when not raining ..with far less of that pall sort of muted color vibe.  Well .... like today. It's particularly sharp edged shadows out there with nape-bake pretty much off the scale.  And contrary to drought mongering ... we are not really in too bad off of a top soil dryness. 

Who is this we?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

From maple floweretts to Lilal shrubbery ...all these are gracing us with utopic visual displays and aromatic splendor like we've landed on a new Pandora this season.

Not sure what it is...but we've been speculating that maybe the air is purer from the recent years 30 someodd % reduction in Industrial farts all over the planet.  We've noticed many more prism clarity blue skies when not raining ..with far less of that pall sort of muted color vibe.  Well .... like today. It's particularly sharp edged shadows out there with nape-bake pretty much off the scale.  And contrary to drought mongering ... we are not really in too bad off of shape in top/root soil moisture. 

It's because we haven't had any hot weather. Makes all the flowers last longer so they're overlapping with ones just blooming.

• Like 2

And to go along with those lofty T1 temperatures ( 980 mb at Logan ) on the 12z NAM FOUS ... the MET machine numbers now 77 Friday at FIT- ASH .. BED up here along the Rt 2.  

Actually similar numbers PSM/MHT/CON... As far as I can tell, that's probably pure sun until CU detonation ... light wind and just pure unadulterated balm.

15 minutes ago, kdxken said:

It's because we haven't had any hot weather. Makes all the flowers last longer so they're overlapping with ones just blooming.

Depends what we mean by hot "IF" we want to really run with that hypothesis ...

I mean yeah .. we've observed some weird 70+ days beginning in February..  But this was consistent with the likes of the last 4 years when that oddity tendency began ...  Yet, last spring and the one before ...and the one before, and the one before... etc, all featured cold and snow or snow supporting atmospheres ... late March through mid Mays, similar to this year, and those springs did not flower nearly this robustly. That seems to remove "heat" as an outright culprit. 

I don't speak for all regions/climate zones... just what we're noticing around town and other areas of this part of Mass.  I have buddies with yards from NW RI to southern NH and they're all saying the Lilacs are like flower bombs. 

Not meaning to be heavy handed ... lol, I mean florists shops keep their blooms chilled for a reason. There's certainly a logic to that.  But it seems it hasn't been altogether "hot" in that sense where we are.

Turning into a nice day as the clouds start to lift and break up.

On another note, there are a lot of bookend season snows where the snow level finds the spruce line vs. the hardwoods.  It's always interesting to me how nature works that way.  The vegetation knows.

185549398_10104533739840880_735607230968

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

You guys burn mill-work lumber for pot ash ?

Okay ... 

but some chemicals don't incinerate, or effuse away in smoke either and will stay behind.   Especially that piece in the lower left corner of the rubble; that looks like layered panel board - go ahead....  "fertilize" your cucumbers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

The SPC does have thunderstorm probabilities across the Northeast so they at least think the support is there and SPC SREF spitting out enough probs to spark an interest

image.thumb.png.c767bd62cdbc9ca9c6f5e663a082e313.png

Nice ...  not surprising tho based on what we're discussing/seeing here...

Btw, that's getting closer to an impressive ridged out solution by the GFS.  Perhaps caving into its ensemble mean -PNA

Just looking at that 500 mb height evolution from D5 right out the end of the run.   I mean knowing the GFS' abiding lotion and kleenex affinity for cold,  it will undoubtedly find least excuse imagined not to warm up the lower troposhere ... so why bother looking at the surface.  But, that may be your over all CAPEd ambience . 

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

Should I mix some leftover ash from my wood stove with the soil? This is my first year getting serious about a garden so any tips will be appreciated.

I have mixed potash for decades.  I will sift and mix deep with fresh garden soil and mulch. About 6 inches underneath is cardboard.  Great for keeping out weeds, worms love it and its a natural feed.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah... okay

How long you been living? How many gardens you have grown in your life? There is a lumber mill right up the street, the trees come in they mill them. Chemicals? Its not pressure treated. I think you are a doomer living life scared of your own shadow.  Probably never drank out of a garden hose. Lol

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1