Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

39° briefly here for a min. Glad we don’t live in a frost pocket. 

We do live there - 31° this morning.  Last frost here has ranged from May 2 (2011) to June 12 (2004) and the median is May 24, so a frost on May 13 is nothing out of the ordinary.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We do live there - 31° this morning.  Last frost here has ranged from May 2 (2011) to June 12 (2004) and the median is May 24, so a frost on May 13 is nothing out of the ordinary.

I’m usually frost free by mid May, but we had a 33° in June of 2009 I think so technically we’re still ripe for a freeze in late May. 

I used to pull for extreme lows years ago, but I’ve changed my tune since I started planting things that are iffy in my zone. ;)

Sneaky impressive diurnal incoming... right up there in D(T)'s 

mid/upper 30's were common out among homes stations across ... particularly the lower elevations/rad drainage typology, but BDL-BED-ASH were all 37 ...

These places my make 72 (+ spring bust perfunctory 3 pts) this afternoon if the MET were correct -  ...  nice 35 to 40 point bounce!

NBM is modestly cooler which I find interesting as that is both the better performing machined source, but is also in conflict synoptic leading - today really should find its way to 74...

62 up and down the interior between the coastal plain and the ORH Hill spine already as of 8:30, as is Logan and Fitchburg ... Everyone is under just about as unadulturrated pristine cerulean blue sky as can be imagined without it just fading to dark shades because one is nearing space...drowning in 100% sola.  ...with 900 mb temperatures supporting 18 C ..then +4 C for lower BL slope ... 74.  Low DP with zephyr velocities pointed seaward, everywhere ..just a heroin day

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Sneaky impressive diurnal incoming... right up there in D(T)'s 

This morning's rise was pretty classic  Woke up to frost at 32F early when I let the dog out.  A couple hours later my wife has the south facing sliding doors open already.

Definitely could see some 40 degree diurnals out there today in SNE.  I don't think we'll get warm enough (60s instead of 70s up here).  

But the morning temp chart's look like a reddit crypto meme "to the moon." 

Untitled.jpg.92d3f1db966e8dbe1079de50b3d686ea.jpg

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, dendrite said:

39° briefly here for a min. Glad we don’t live in a frost pocket. 

It sucks, unless I put up a temporary hoophouse, my growing season is going to start later and be cut short. But I do look forward to hitting -20 at some point, that should be fun, lol

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This morning's rise was pretty classic  Woke up to frost at 32F early when I let the dog out.  A couple hours later my wife has the south facing sliding doors open already.

Definitely could see some 40 degree diurnals out there today in SNE.  I don't think we'll get warm enough (60s instead of 70s up here).  

Crazy here...

Screenshot_20210513-092727_Gallery.jpg

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m usually frost free by mid May, but we had a 33° in June of 2009 I think so technically we’re still ripe for a freeze in late May. 

I used to pull for extreme lows years ago, but I’ve changed my tune since I started planting things that are iffy in my zone. ;)

We learned that our site is not one that's friendly to iffy-in-zone species, notably with Reliance peach.  Planted one in 1998 a week after moving there on 5/15, then a taller one in early May 1999.  That 2nd one was destroyed by a freeze a week after the transplant, while the earlier tree would triple in size each growing season (peaches are precocious) then mostly die back each winter.  In 01-02 the temp never dropped below -12 and that spring we had hundreds of blossoms (1st we'd seen) and 100+ delicious fruits.  02-03 had a dozen mornings with minima -20 to -29, some with wind, and the tree was finished - got a weak sprout from beneath the graft and it didn't even survive the summer.  Very glad we got to eat some peaches (along with blueberries, my favorite fruit) before learning that a zone 5 species would not do well in our zone 4 cold spot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Crazy here...

Nice.  You've got a great spot there for my fetish of high diurnal ranges, ha.  Having to use the heat in the car to melt the frost of the windshield in the morning, and then in the afternoon you need to have the A/C to cool off the car's interior.  The Rocky Mountain valley type summer... 30F at night and 80F by day.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup ...most local graphs are doing that same aspect/ratio with the very steeply inclined slope  lol. 

Now 64-66 home stations and MW/Utah has FIT that high too -   already 33-ish spreads...

Has that cap temp feel to it where it ceilings early then bounces 71 to 73 all afternoon.  May be a late high?  Like 5:45 everyone pings 75 as the long day tries to diurnally process the lower thickness up a notch just before sloping sun pulls the rug out...  But tonight has the first clear night elevated kinetic air look to it...it may not get much below 55 in urban settings - its the same effect as 80 in downtown Boston on July 10 when it's 64 out in the cranberry bogs...

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice.  You've got a great spot there for my fetish of high diurnal ranges, ha.  Having to use the heat in the car to melt the frost of the windshield in the morning, and then in the afternoon you need to have the A/C to cool off the car's interior.  The Rocky Mountain valley type summer... 30F at night and 80F by day.

I do love taking the dog out first thing, feel that crisp air at the same time you can feel the warmth of the sun on your face

• Like 1

In fact, ... I haven't personally been into gardening now in four years as I've got other projects going on .. but, back when I was heavily into it, ...this would be my week to put in 'kittens' - my term for house/window sill sprouts or if/when lazy, hitting the local green house/nurseries. 

I "think" given the trends of operational runs, ens means, and the other environmental obviousness ...it all holistically hearkens to the real opening into the growing season and I'd be planting ... Folks should have rotated in their seasonal fertilization and soil/PH balancing back in early April..etc.    

Looks like 75/48 for 4 days ... but zippo of stress cold. I might wait another week on Cucumbers.  They don't like their nights below 52 ..

We'll have to see beyond - the last two cycles of the Euro have been cutting the flow backward over eastern Canada ...roughly 120 hours through D8... Have to nod to climate on that one. It's hard for me given my experiencing this asshole geography in the spring, ever getting 10 straight days of guaranteed 75/50 ... Having a N-door or BD series interrupt and claim a chunk seems to fit timing - if not the symbology of us paying dearly for four beautiful days as if it is our fault the atmosphere was nice to us - haha...   We'll see..

But the larger synoptic foot-print seems to want to extend the -PNA telecon signal through mid latitudes of N/A, with modest to moderate positive anomalies wobbling over the OV ...so, we may lob backside early warmth in the deeper extended.  That's also climate friendly as a total evolution... nice 3 days, BD butt bang for 2... then it gets hot.   I'm also wondering if the GGEM's idea of "continental folding" has merit because we've seen that pretty commonly in recent springs... where we end up with a couple days of tepid 850s from BOS-DCA..with mixed EML and very warm lapse rate potential air mass conveyor ending up over the St. Lawrence.    PF to Phinny stealing the early heat show again?

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

In fact, ... I haven't personally been into gardening now in four years as I've got other projects going on .. but, back when I was heavily into it, ...this would be my week to put in 'kittens' - my term for house/window sill sprouts or if/when lazy, hitting the local green house/nurseries. 

I "think" given the trends of operational runs, ens means, and the other environmental obviousness ...it all holistically hearkens to the real opening into the growing season and I'd be planting ... Folks should have rotated in their seasonal fertilization and soil/PH balancing back in early April..etc.    

Looks like 75/48 for 4 days ... but zippo of stress cold. I might wait another week on Cucumbers.  They don't like their nights below 52 ..

We'll have to see beyond - the last two cycles of the Euro have been cutting the flow backward over eastern Canada ...roughly 120 hours through D8... Have to nod to climate on that one. It's hard for me given my experiencing this asshole geography in the spring, ever getting 10 straight days of guaranteed 75/50 ... Having a N-door or BD serious in them days seems to fit timing of paying dearly for four beautiful days as if it is our fault the atmosphere was nice to us - haha...   We'll see..

But the larger synoptic foot-print seems to want to extend the -PNA telecon signal through mid latitudes of N/A, with modest to moderate positive anomalies wobbling over the OV ...so, we may lob backside early warmth in the deeper extended.  That's also climate friendly as a total evolution... nice 3 days, BD butt bang for 2... then it gets hot.   I'm also wondering if the GGEM's idea of "continental folding" has merit because we've seen that pretty commonly in recent springs... where we end up with a couple days of tepid 850s from BOS-DCA..with mixed EML and very warm lapse rate potential air mass conveyor ending up over the St. Lawrence.    PF to Phinny stealing the early heat show again?

What types of projects?

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What types of projects?

Uh, ...who cares ?  just life preoccupation hazards..  I'm not that important - 

It was consuming helping my aging parents situate for their lengthening years.  Their home was a white elephant on the spread-sheets and was beginning to fall apart. They don't have economic history to dump funds into a big bloated property that frankly, they were way, way overdue for normal downsizing of overhead, anyway.  They now live in Michigan - like...wtf retires to "Militia-again" of all places. But, they happened to have a property already paid off out there so ... it was an ordeal to re-lo them out there.  'Sides, we have family still around western Michigan so their right at home there too -

I was also lucky enough to be picked up by a publishing house and they wanted stuff. I have some work out there and they want more.  I have to write short-story fiction for an anthology due mid august..and I'm working on the camping trip with Covid vaccine zombies coming through the woods - kidding.   I spend waaaaay too much time writing in these social media bloviation when I should be checking out for a long while and focusing energy there.   I just don't presently have as much gumption for it all; I have lost a lot of confidence in it.  The world is moving away from attention spans for novel or saga reading - it's a Twit-sphere by twits... No one even seems as capable of subtle nuance and double entendre... droll humor, or any in the myriad of literary mechanics used to make that activity fun - it's just not knowable in the direction the world is going.  Plus... I find it difficult to conjure up fiction as appealing, or competitive with the shear elaborate lunacy that humanity is either discovering about the universe, or ... causing themselves as man-made events and histrionics - either.  It's like truth realy IS f'n stranger ...too strange as a matter of fact, for fiction.

Amid all that.. I started getting memos sent from the town about the Fort Devens retired military base that astrides my neighborhood, as having been leaching dioxins and chromium solvents into the region, comforting gems like, "Although surface soil is likely safe, deeper ground well-water access is - z y z"   Uh, I guess that's okay as I don't use well-water...but heh - I just don't like Ayer. I have a main train line running by my house like 200 foot way.  It's a four track line that's been getting used as a switch yard... and I just feel weird about growing next to that calamity while dodging scrotal-nodule health warnings by the local municipality... etc..etc.. "Cucumbers for sale!"

I'd love to live in a high tech bubble surrounded by 1000 acres of pristinely un-man-f'ed land - it in-turn is surrounded by a 30 ft ivy-covered wall of genetically engineered toxic-to-the-touch species ( heart stops immediately...) - maybe a genetically modified variant of poison ivy. 'Beware the shiny leaves'

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Uh, ...who cares ?  just life preoccupation hazards..  I'm not that important - 

It was consuming helping my aging parents situate for their lengthening years.  Their home was a white elephant on the spread-sheets and was beginning to fall apart. They don't have economic history to dump funds into a big bloated property that frankly, they were way, way overdue for normal downsizing of overhead, anyway.  They now live in Michigan - like...wtf retires to "Militia-again" of all places. But, they happened to have a property already paid off out there so ... it was an ordeal to re-lo them out there.  'Sides, we have family still around western Michigan so their right at home there too -

I was also lucky enough to be picked up by a publishing house and they wanted stuff. I have some work out there and they want more.  I have to write short-story fiction for an anthology due mid august..and I'm working on the camping trip with Covid vaccine zombies coming through the woods - kidding.   I spend waaaaay too much time writing in these social media bloviation when I should be checking out for a long while and focusing energy there.   I just don't presently have as much gumption for it all; I have lost a lot of confidence in it.  The world is moving away from attention spans for novel or saga reading - it's a Twit-sphere by twits... No one even seems as capable of subtle nuance and double entendre... droll humor, or any in the myriad of literary mechanics used to make that activity fun - it's just not knowable in the direction the world is going.  Plus... I find it difficult to conjure up fiction as appealing, or competitive with the shear elaborate lunacy of that humanity is either discovering about the universe, or ... causing themselves as man-made events and histrionics - either.  It's like truth real IS f'n stranger ...too strange as a matter of fact, for fiction.

Amid all that.. I started getting memos sent from the town about the Fort Devens retired military base that astrides my neighborhood, as having been leaching dioxins and chromium solvents into the region and "Although surface soil is likely safe, deeper ground well-water access -"    I don't use well-water...but heh - I just don't like Ayer. I have a train running by my house like 200 foot way.  It's a four track line that's been getting used as a switch yard... and I just feel weird about growing next to that calamity while dodging scrotal nodule health warnings by the local municipality... etc..etc.. "Cucumbers for sale!"

I'd love to live in a high tech bubble surrounded by 1000 acres of pristinely un-man-f'ed land - it in-turn is surrounded by a 30 ft ivy-covered wall of genetically engineered toxic-to-the-touch species ( heart stops immediately...).

You are the most interesting man in the world 

4 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

It sucks, unless I put up a temporary hoophouse, my growing season is going to start later and be cut short. But I do look forward to hitting -20 at some point, that should be fun, lol

Another problem inherent with frost pockets is that the cold can be capricious - a bit of wind or cloud can make 10° difference.  Median growing season here is 114 days but it's ranged from 88 days to 156.  We've had June frosts in 6 of 23 springs with all other late frosts in May.  Only one year (2011) has failed to bring a September frost..