Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021-2022

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well... save for 3 weeks of complete snow pack annihilation in the middle.  It really wasn't end-to-end.   But, that said ...it was majority not doubt.

What a dichotomy that was represented by that...what was, at the time, the most sustained and frantic onslaught of winter juxtaposed with as fervid a thaw as you will ever witness.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What a dichotomy that was represented by that...what was, at the time, the most sustained and frantic onslaught of winter juxtaposed with as fervid a thaw as you will ever witness.

But it was a violent melt. Two cutters full of wind damage, including watching an old lady totally get blown over while I collected carriages at Stop & Shop. I'll never forget that. :lol:    At least it wasn't a day of 60F followed by a 5 min downpour with a fropa. It was a cutter of all cutters X2. I think one of them wasn't too violent.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But it was a violent melt. Two cutters full of wind damage, including watching an old lady totally get blown over while I collected carriages at Stop & Shop. I'll never forget that. :lol:    At least it wasn't a day of 60F followed by a 5 min downpour with a fropa. It was a cutter of all cutters X2. I think one of them wasn't too violent.

I think there were actually 3 cutters, but they became less ridiculous with each one. The first cutter was the worst I've ever seen.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That’s why I prefer 1993-94.  One quick melt around 2/1 with a fast reload and repack.

'94 did have a thaw in late February too before another reload.

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

what was the season total snow map in that winter ... ?

I may be wrong, but I thought like SE VT and S NH and up along Rt 2 weren't really hugely snowy.   It was a mostly a coastal winter I thought.

Yeah the coast got the best anomalies. Interior got hammered too, but not the anomaly that the coastal areas got. But the interior did very well in storms like 1/3-4 and 1/12....and then later on they did well in March.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, tunafish said:

I'm the new COOP observer for PWM, so you can lock-in futility for me for this season...

I heard we got a SoPo observer and wondered.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:01 AM, tunafish said:

Hmmm.. not too sure about that.  Maybe @OceanStWxcan clarify?

Officially there is the ASOS coop site and then snow observation site. Snow measurements were taken at the home of a former employee, and he’s no longer able to commit to it. No observations are manually taken at the airport since the move to GYX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it is of any use, but for my outlook this year I am including a tele-connection table to lay out the patterns. I partly did it because I think there are two pretty violent pattern shifts in mid-November and mid-February in the upcoming cold season. Been struggling with the weighting for November in particular. But basically it will lay out my expectation for WPO, PNA, AO, NAO for Nov-Mar.

October is going to be a little bit nutty with the re-curving typhoon, rapid recent SOI changes, and then the GFS showing a very deep low off the southern Kamchatka tip. It's the same spot as the 970 mb low 2/21/2021 that preceded the March blizzard out here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2021_North_American_blizzard

The Bering Sea Rule tends to translate those lows in those spots to "Albuquerque Lows" in 17-21 days.

ImageImage

Locally, most of the tele-connections are broadly useless as correlations to long-term temperatures in most months under 0.04 (r-squared). But the January-April period does respond more to the NAO and WPO locally, so I do look at them for that period here. The big late September NAO crash is interesting - you might want to look at the periods that follow given your region.

I'm fairly confident that the "look" that often precedes severe cold in the Plains in February is going to show up again in November. Since at least the late 1970s, that seems to be a +WPO, +AO, +NAO look in November. That's there in 1978, 1992, 1993, and 2020, with several other less severe outbreaks are similar.

16 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think there were actually 3 cutters, but they became less ridiculous with each one. The first cutter was the worst I've ever seen.

was it worse than the great xmas eve cutter of 2020? I lost 2+ feet of snow in less than 24 hours

18 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The whole winter was a bunch of whiplashes, some more violent than others.  Farmington snowpack offers an illustration:

Dec. 22:  32" after 22" in a week.
Jan. 1:     24" after 10 days of meh, more settling than melting
Jan. 13:   40"
Jan. 28:    8"  3 cutters with temps 47-53, 4" RA.  Biggest Jan melt-off on record there.
Feb. 18:   21"
Feb. 29:    7"  more 50° and RA
Mar. 9:    23"
Mar. 24:  Trace   6 days in the 50s.

17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

'94 did have a thaw in late February too before another reload.

Yeah the coast got the best anomalies. Interior got hammered too, but not the anomaly that the coastal areas got. But the interior did very well in storms like 1/3-4 and 1/12....and then later on they did well in March.

There was a relative screw slot along the interior CP that I was in.

8 minutes ago, uncle W said:

what's the longest snow cover for Boston?...NYC is about 55-60 days with at least an inch on the ground set in a few winters...

75 days officially in 1904. They came close in 2015 but it wouldn't have been official since they don't keep snow depth anymore. But nearby Hingham to the south had 71 days in 2015.

edit: I assume you mean consecutive days?

Just now, ma blizzard said:

same snow cover stats for ORH?

108 consecutive days in 1970-1971 is the official record at ORH....but 2000-2001 may have challenged or defeated that number. I believe 12/20/00 to early April gets us really close. It all depends on when the official number would have gone to a trace. Too bad we didn't have snow depth records there anymore. May have fallen just short since up at the airport it is not as sheltered and starts to melt out quicker in spring with the sun angle.

For total days with at least 1" of depth (not consecutive), ORH's record is 113 also in 1970-1971....the xmACIS site lists 1907-1908 and 1906-1907 as way higher but there is something wrong with the data on thiose years. Didn't pass the smell test as soon as I saw 1906-1907 having 155 days....they didn't even have that much snow that year. Ditto 1907-1908. Sure enough, when I checked the dailies, they looked way off. 1907-1908 actually had 39 days when I counted and then 1906-1907 had an early 7" snow pack unchanged for over a week in November with several days in the 60s plus some rain. It's like they forgot to change the 7 to zero after a day or two. Once I saw that, i stopped scanning.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

108 consecutive days in 1970-1971 is the official record at ORH....but 2000-2001 may have challenged or defeated that number. I believe 12/20/00 to early April gets us really close. It all depends on when the official number would have gone to a trace. Too bad we didn't have snow depth records there anymore. May have fallen just short since up at the airport it is not as sheltered and starts to melt out quicker in spring with the sun angle.

For total days with at least 1" of depth (not consecutive), ORH's record is 113 also in 1970-1971....the xmACIS site lists 1907-1908 and 1906-1907 as way higher but there is something wrong with the data on thiose years. Didn't pass the smell test as soon as I saw 1906-1907 having 155 days....they didn't even have that much snow that year. Ditto 1907-1908. Sure enough, when I checked the dailies, they looked way off. 1907-1908 actually had 39 days when I counted and then 1906-1907 had an early 7" snow pack unchanged for over a week in November with several days in the 60s plus some rain. It's like they forgot to change the 7 to zero after a day or two. Once I saw that, i stopped scanning.

2002 2003 here, 15 missed it by a day