Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-2022

40/70 Benchmark

17 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

1993-94 was not in the league of 1995-1996 where I am...had like 78". Good, not historic.

And bos had 96.  Your old Wilmington location averaged close to 50% more and you ended up with 20% less.  So our individual perceptions are borne out by that statistic.

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

And bos had 96.  Your old Wilmington location averaged close to 50% more and you ended up with 20% less.  So our individual perceptions are borne out by that statistic.

Obviously its all about our own BY....it was nothing special here. Boston and the deep interior, it was.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

75 days officially in 1904. They came close in 2015 but it wouldn't have been official since they don't keep snow depth anymore. But nearby Hingham to the south had 71 days in 2015.

edit: I assume you mean consecutive days?

yes I did...thanks...to bad they stopped taking snow depth...it is a great indicator on how severe a winter is...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I don’t have a reasonable expectation for November.  Even the best ones are mostly snow free outside of interior NNE.  December through March does sometimes happen.  That’s the hope.

I’m usually happy to just grab first measurable in November in the interior. Anything more is pure gravy. 

Even the first half of December can often be kind of annoying waiting for legit advisory or warning snow threats....but it’s not uncommon even in the good winters that aren’t purely backloaded. 2008-2009 and 1993-1994 come mind. 2010-2011 too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m usually happy to just grab first measurable in November in the interior. Anything more is pure gravy. 

Even the first half of December can often be kind of annoying waiting for legit advisory or warning snow threats....but it’s not uncommon even in the good winters that aren’t purely backloaded. 2008-2009 and 1993-1994 come mind. 2010-2011 too. 

I am still pawning  for an 02/03 winter.

12 hours ago, raindancewx said:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/accuweathers-2021-2022-us-winter-forecast/1022887

As Paul Pastelok said in the earlier link, the Accuweather winter outlook is out today (9/29). Some things are similar to what I have. Some stuff I look at locally makes me a little skeptical of a dry winter out here despite La Nina. Was amused to see they had a wet winter here. I don't buy ~130% of normal here like he has though.

December-2021-February-2022-Temperature-Departures-From-Normal.jpg?w=632December-2021-February-2022-Precipitation-Departures-From-Normal.jpg?w=632

Ski-Forecast-2021-2022.jpg?w=632

Snow-forecast-winter-2021-2022.png?w=632

Accuweather looks pretty reasonable to me.

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Looking around at multiple coops from SMass north of Taunton looks like the hills around here in NE CT NW RI  have higher retention despite lower yearly snow averages 

It drops off very quickly south of Foster RI....the CAD zone really goes from like somewhere between 128/495 in E MA and then into N of RI west of 295 and then down to about Foster and near you. Once you get into like Plainfield or just south of them over to west greenwich RI, it vaporizes. The gradient is prob really noticeable just south of you....SE CT as we all know just cannot hold any cold air at the sfc.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It drops off very quickly south of Foster RI....the CAD zone really goes from like somewhere between 128/495 in E MA and then into N of RI west of 295 and then down to about Foster and near you. Once you get into like Plainfield or just south of them over to west greenwich RI, it vaporizes. The gradient is prob really noticeable just south of you....SE CT as we all know just cannot hold any cold air at the sfc.

It’s about 15-20 miles SSE of here. Get down into just north of IJD and south and it’s just awful . Warm fronts love that area 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Do you think the piles of doggie doo in Moosup are enough to create a natural barrier to aid in CAD?

Lol.. well possible I guess. It’s not like my area is spectacular at retention but I can think of several times just last winter where Ginx got south of a warm front that vaporized his snow at like 52.. and this area “lucked out” and stayed at 38.7 or something like that. Still not cold, but at least kept snow OTG until the fog and mild aloft got scoured out.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yea the valleys lose its quick. Hills in Voluntown south of me retain. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol.. well possible I guess. It’s not like my area is spectacular at retention but I can think of several times just last winter where Ginx got south of a warm front that vaporized his snow at like 52.. and this area “lucked out” and stayed at 38.7 or something like that. Still not cold, but at least kept snow OTG until the fog and mild aloft got scoured out.

Climo wise not last winter. The best spot for snowfall retention in all of NE CT is the Woodstock Thompson hills by far. They also get more snow than many realize.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1