Total Members
    Most Online
    DirectSEO
    Newest Member
    DirectSEO

Spring Banter

50 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Meat prices are insane.  Dairy too.  
We eat mostly natural raised or organic so that adds to the cost but that’s our choice.

Either way, price shock at the supermarket these days.

That’s interesting.  I’m with HubbDave, we haven’t noticed any real big increase that some of you have.  But we mostly go with sale items and tailor the menu to that. Eat a lot of chicken (under $2/pound) and my wife likes pork chops... that always seems to be BOGO, ha.

Veggies seem similar on the whole.  But again we go into Shaws or Hannafords looking for what’s on sale and build menu around that.  Can always find sale items.

I’m sure those of you with kids though are on a much more fixed, less flexible grocery list.  Maybe not though, but kids like consistency.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Maybe it’s more the items we buy I guess. But I’m not kidding when I say an 80-90 bill for groceries is now  like $120.

Yeah I'm with you there. Significant rise in my average grocery bill in the last year. 

9 minutes ago, radarman said:

Milk drinking is way way down though so stable is up if demand still means anything

It is still used in a lot of things.  But yeah. It is down as a beverage 

14 minutes ago, radarman said:

Milk drinking is way way down though so stable is up if demand still means anything

$1.38 a gallon at the local Walmart and Aldi's.

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Milk prices haven’t moved much in over a year.  Yogurt same. Egg prices fluctuate wildly every year. 

Yeah I’m a big dairy fan, haven’t noticed any difference in that realm.  I also shop in Morrisville, VT so mileage may vary compared to more populated areas, ha.

What foods are you guys seeing an uptick in particularly?  Manufactured stuff or like meat/produce?  All of it?  

My (food/confectionary) company just gave a 4.5% net pricing increase to our customers (averaged across the portfolio-some items more, some less). Customers can decide how they want to pass that on to the consumer-They’ll pass along most of it but will take a 20-30bps haircut to their margins.

That’s pretty much standard across CPG right now-definitely not 30-40% increases. Can’t speak to what is happening in meat/dairy/veg. 

• Like 1

Just now, bch2014 said:

My (food/confectionary) company just gave a 4.5% net pricing increase to our customers (averaged across the portfolio-some items more, some less). Customers can decide how they want to pass that on to the consumer-They’ll pass along most of it but will take a 20-30bps haircut to their margins.

That’s pretty much standard across CPG right now-definitely not 30-40% increases. Can’t speak to what is happening in meat/dairy/veg. 

What’s like an average yearly increase, say over the past decade?  How different is that from a normal YOY increase?

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You buy all your stuff there you said .. right?

What? Lol no. I went to one down in Plymouth. Just an interesting setup. 

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Aldi’s is an interesting store. Not a lot of variety, but pretty dam cheap. 

They don't have any freezers for inventory in the back. Just put stuff out as it gets delivered. Helps keep costs down. That and focusing on a narrower range of things and buying in ridiculous volume.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What? Lol no. I went to one down in Plymouth. Just an interesting setup. 

There is one in the city in which I work but I haven’t been there.  Some people love it.  
I finally went into a Wegman’s for the first time a few weeks back.  Cheaper than I thought.  Good beer selection too 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I disagree.  I’m the one who does the food shopping in my house (for 20+ years) and I don’t see the prices up overall that much. Some items yes. Paper good and cleaning supplies have been gouged 

I guess you don’t eat meat, up near 11%

The BLS said food prices climbed by 0.7% in May, following a 1.5% spike in April. “However, unlike the broad increase in April, the May increase was driven mostly by a 3.7% rise in the index for meats, poultry, dairy, and eggs. The beef index increased 10.8% in May, its largest-ever monthly increase,” said the agency’s monthly Consumer Price Index Report.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What’s like an average yearly increase, say over the past decade?  How different is that from a normal YOY increase?

Typically you’ll see visual pricing of 4-5% every two years, and then in the “odd years” companies will take weight out of their packages but maintain visual pricing. 

It truly is dependent on the category though and there are dynamics at play besides just commodity/labor/input costs-For example, I used to work for PepsiCo-we had a lot more pricing power on the Frito-Lay side of the business as we were dominant player in salty snacks vs. on the beverage side, they always let KO take pricing first as they’ve got higher market share in carbonated soft drinks. None of that is proprietary information, they talk about that kind of stuff on the earnings call. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Typically you’ll see visual pricing of 4-5% every two years, and then in the “odd years” companies will take weight out of their packages but maintain visual pricing. 

It truly is dependent on the category though and there are dynamics at play besides just commodity/labor/input costs-For example, I used to work for PepsiCo-we had a lot more pricing power on the Frito-Lay side of the business as we were dominant player in salty snacks vs. on the beverage side, they always let KO take pricing first as they’ve got higher market share in carbonated soft drinks. None of that is proprietary information, they talk about that kind of stuff on the earnings call. 

RC Cola?

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’m a big dairy fan, haven’t noticed any difference in that realm.  I also shop in Morrisville, VT so mileage may vary compared to more populated areas, ha.

What foods are you guys seeing an uptick in particularly?  Manufactured stuff or like meat/produce?  All of it?  

I drink like 3 gallons of whole milk a week. My only beverage besides coffee. I eat a lot of whole grain cereals. Milk was 1.99 a gallon last Feb now about 2.99. Chicken is cheap, pork somewhat but anything beef is off the hook. Veggies are up but the kicker is paper goods, cleaning supplies. We by in bulk now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

RC Cola?

RC Cola is actually owned by Keurig Dr. Pepper-I don’t know for sure, but I bet they execute pricing changes on it in line with the rest of their portfolio (Dr. Pepper, 7UP, Snapple, etc). 

If we’re talking niche sodas though-I’d have to go with Cheerwine as my favorite. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I guess you don’t eat meat, up near 11%

The BLS said food prices climbed by 0.7% in May, following a 1.5% spike in April. “However, unlike the broad increase in April, the May increase was driven mostly by a 3.7% rise in the index for meats, poultry, dairy, and eggs. The beef index increased 10.8% in May, its largest-ever monthly increase,” said the agency’s monthly Consumer Price Index Report.

Maybe not as much I guess.  We do eat a bunch of chicken and that has stayed steady for us.  Some ground beef. Just made good burgers from 85% for $4 per lb. maybe I follow sales too much?  
Bacon has def gone up a bunch. 

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I drink like 3 gallons of whole milk a week. My only beverage besides coffee. I eat a lot of whole grain cereals. Milk was 1.99 a gallon last Feb now about 2.99. Chicken is cheap, pork somewhat but anything beef is off the hook. Veggies are up but the kicker is paper goods, cleaning supplies. We by in bulk now

Yeah. I only buy paper goods and cleaning stuff at Walmart now (which I despise). But their bulk stuff is better for us plus it is very close to me and easier than the supermarket 

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah beef we only buy on sale and can go a couple weeks without eating it.  Wife isn't huge on red meat.  I'll definitely agree with you on the household products.  That stuff is getting pricey, laundry detergent, the pods for washing machines and dishwashers, etc.  A lot of it seems gimmicky but they are moving towards that stuff.... just give me the basic detergent for either the dishwasher or washing machine, not some pod with 4 different gels that'll clean that plate like never before. And every cleaning product now has some new R&D formula to clean better!!!! and we'll charge you for it.  More bubbles!  Foaming!  A gnome who comes out of the bottle and spit shines everything.

13 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

RC Cola is actually owned by Keurig Dr. Pepper-I don’t know for sure, but I bet they execute pricing changes on it in line with the rest of their portfolio (Dr. Pepper, 7UP, Snapple, etc). 

If we’re talking niche sodas though-I’d have to go with Cheerwine as my favorite. 

Cheerwine is awesome.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That’s strange because 80% ground beef is on sale for $1.99/lb at the Hannaford here. 

Just now, mreaves said:

That’s strange because 80% ground beef is on sale for $1.99/lb at the Hannaford here. 

Steak has been pretty expensive for a while though. I def have noticed that.  Steak tips $9/lb seems typical.  

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Steak has been pretty expensive for a while though. I def have noticed that.  Steak tips $9/lb seems typical.  

I tend to buy that type of stuff in bulk at BJ’s. I bought a vacuum sealer and freeze it in meal size packages. Like you, I shop the sales so I’ve noticed some increase but nothing overly big, except maybe bacon  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Aldi’s is an interesting store. Not a lot of variety, but pretty dam cheap. 

Lots of organic right?  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lots of organic right?  

Maybe? I just went in and got stuff. They did have some organic that I noticed.