Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

28 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I was just at 110 grill. Place was packed. Everyone with no mask, eating, drinking, having a good time. People get up to leave, throw a mask on, then hit the parking lot. Then proceed to keep masked out doors until they get to the car. But they just sat in a crowded restaurant for 2 hours with no face diaper.

People amaze me. I never thought the masses could be conditioned like this. It’s a really great psychological experiment on a grand scale. 

Yes, it is scary for some of us to think what the powers that be could condition these people to do next.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is honestly nothing , people could be conditioned much more . 

Happens with many different Things and manufacturing consent has been nearly perfected using the tools available . This is just the way Democratic governments basically have to operate , if your in Russia or perhaps China ..you rule with a iron fist , in democracy..propaganda is required to get people on board with the opinions deemed favorable to lower any resistance , be it related to imperialistic “wars” Or whatever.  It’s not necessarily a evil or bad Thing , it is necessary and you can choose to go along or question the rhetoric , just don’t go crazy or obsess about it . Human nature is not changing .

I can't think of many examples in the last 30 years where manufacturing consent was not a bad thing, though. I can see how it could be used positively, but it seems to be abused a lot more frequently.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Muscle memory for the most part, IMO.  It gets burned into you pretty fast, like putting pants on in the morning.

See it a lot too and honestly I do it without thinking I think.  We are out all the time, and regardless of risk it’s habit already within a year of COVID starting.  Like getting in the car and putting a seatbelt on.  You don’t think about it or why you put it on, you just do.

Humans adapt real fast to carry on with life.  I don’t care one way or another, I don’t need or care to wear a mask but it’s muscle memory at times.  Like if people just told you when in a car, you don’t need a seatbelt anymore.

My muscle memory is to forget to put it on, versus forgetting to take it off. Wearing a mask is not my default behavior... nor do I want it to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely running into more people now who are fully vaxxed but still scared to fully emerge. They are “not comfortable” with restaurants, airplanes, or other more crowded places yet because of variants and other unknowns. I assume the vast majority of them will eventually come around, assuming they “trust the science.” The “scary double mutant” talk was really unhelpful to these people, Fauci/CDC... cut it out.
It still cracks me up the reaction I get from certain people when I tell them I travel all over and eat out all the time without the vaccine. Their jaws drop and they are rendered speechless, as if I was skydiving without a parachute and bragging about it. A few have then asked, “How do you do that?” All you can do is just laugh and shrug, really. I can’t explain to other adults how to not be scared of Home Depot or Olive Garden. 
Not scared. Fun times last nightPXL_20210508_195329356.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

My muscle memory is to forget to put it on, versus forgetting to take it off. Wearing a mask is not my default behavior... nor do I want it to be.

Yup, you’ve resisted since day one so no surprise there. Because you didn’t want it to be a default.  It would never ever become muscle memory for you because of how much you dwelled on it since day one.  For us sheep, it was just another way to get on with life.  Conditioning happens real fast if you don’t care or resist. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup, you’ve resisted since day one so no surprise there. Because you didn’t want it to be a default.  It would never ever become muscle memory for you because of how much you dwelled on it since day one.  For us sheep, it was just another way to get on with life.  Conditioning happens real fast if you don’t care or resist. 

That's kinda sad, to be honest. To each his own, however.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's kinda sad, to be honest. To each his own, however.

I just try not to live in fear that everyone is trying to pull a giant conspiracy over my head... it’s too much energy to worry all the time that every decision has an ulterior negative motive.  Constantly trying to figure out what someone is really after or if they are trying to screw me over.  I’m probably too naive.

• Like 3

LOL I don't tend to mindlessly perform pointless rituals just because everyone else is doing it and then feel super-content I care so little about my mimic behavior that I don't even notice I'm doing it. That is a level of chill bordering on lemming-like.

I don't spend all day spazzing out about masks, I wear them when I have to and then happily remove them as soon as I can. My default "normal" is no masks. If your normal is now to be masked everywhere, that's fine. But you are the outlier, I think.

• Haha 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

I just try not to live in fear that everyone is trying to pull a giant conspiracy over my head... it’s too much energy to worry all the time that every decision has an ulterior negative motive.  It’s a sad, lonely life.

You got that from a post simply about how not wearing a mask is my preferred default behavior?

• Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Lol

Same with me. I never really wore one unless I had to like at work. Ive pretty much stopped doing it at this point. I’m fully vaxed, not sick, and not scared of people. 

• Like 1

You got that from a post simply about how not wearing a mask is my preferred default behavior?

Sorry you hadn’t bolded the other part at first.  But c’mon, you said it’s a sad way to live.... like at the time following guidance was the wrong thing to do.  I’m definitely too naive and quite sheltered up here.  My first thought isn’t that there is some larger conspiracy going on, just that hey, we wear a face diaper for a time and can get on with life.  Maybe the next time they want us to wear a football helmet to go outside, we all have our limits though :lol:.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Lol

Same with me. I never really wore one unless I had to like at work. Ive pretty much stopped doing it at this point. I’m fully vaxed, not sick, and not scared of people. 

I have a guy who works for me who claims he hasn't worn a mask this entire pandemic. He says he just strolls into places and no one says anything. He had been teleworking all year, so no way to verify, but he is big and brash like that so I could see him doing it. I saw him at the office for the first time in a year a couple weeks ago, and I told him about the Federal policy that he needed to wear a mask inside. He seriously claimed he didn't own a single one but he had a rag in his car that he tied around his face... LOL

He made me feel like a Karen for sure.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sorry you hadn’t bolded the other part at first.  But c’mon, you said it’s a sad way to live.... like at the time following guidance was the wrong thing to do.  I’m definitely too naive and quite sheltered up here.  My first thought isn’t that there is some larger conspiracy going on, just that hey, we wear a face diaper for a time and can get on with life.  Maybe the next time they want us to wear a football helmet to go outside, we all have our limits though :lol:.

Yeah, I was unclear in my post. I actually follow all posted mask rules. I don't think I have willfully violated a mask rule ever during this whole thing. If the rules are posted, I follow them or I leave that place. I just don't think the rules make sense (sometimes), nor do I allow myself to get to the point where I simply give up and decide this is how things have to be. I have noticed people getting to that point, especially with the vaccine which they had resisted getting before. I find it sad that we are forced to give in and give up like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Labeling something as a huge Conspiracy is a bit of a cop out from serious discussion in some cases. I realize people do go over the line with that sort of talk but there is a balance.  Phin isn't living in fear , he's living in annoyance because he believes people are being successfully fear mongered as a means to adjust their behavior and he usually articulates that in a way that pushes people's buttons to put it nicely.

It was a difficult message to deliver to the masses to raise awareness and change behavior but the decision was made to sort of go overboard and some of that imo is because that is what works and effects change and it's also how health experts are  sorta judged, not on people's level of emotional stability or overall health ,  but  b.c they have the most job security going overboard and focusing on reducing covid numbers while having a lot of lee way on economic and emotional health  costs. It's a tuff balance and i don't mean to be overly critical b.c a health experts job is difficult these days but i get the frustration 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have a guy who works for me who claims he hasn't worn a mask this entire pandemic. He says he just strolls into places and no one says anything. He had been teleworking all year, so no way to verify, but he is big and brash like that so I could see him doing it. I saw him at the office for the first time in a year a couple weeks ago, and I told him about the Federal policy that he needed to wear a mask inside. He seriously claimed he didn't own a single one but he had a rag in his car that he tied around his face... LOL

He made me feel like a Karen for sure.

Every place I went this weekend I didn’t wear one. Only one person, at Home Depot, just asked me to use the self check out. And she was masked and standing behind plexi glass. 
I told her I’d be happy to use the self checkout. 
I didn’t wear one in or out of the restaurant tonight. No one said shyte.

I’ll wear one at work because they pay my salary, but fook the rest of it. I didn’t get shot up twice with a 90% plus efficacious vaccine and go through 36 hours of fever and aches to wear a foolish piece of cloth over my face when I’m not sick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Lol

Ha yup, my wife wears glasses like you and hates it, hated it from day one... doesn’t care what science says it’s a damn inconvenience.  We joke all the time about it. She’d rather wear a football helmet over a mask.

But I also need to get out and see some of the rest of the northeast.  The way you guys talk about folks being scared and it’s a badge of honor to go out to dinner at an Olive Garden or TGI Fridays. Interesting.

Some perspective that I’ve come to realize for myself, is that here we live in one of the most known tourist towns in VT... people travel from all over the US, even internationally in the winter to ski here.  They come for foliage and the come in the warm season too.

So the vast majority of people I come in contact with since like last foliage season, are all traveling.  And by nature if you are going on vacations or taking weekend trips, you aren’t very “afraid”... hotels busy, restaurants breweries, several hundred thousand skiers over winter.  I think all I see is the segment of the population that *is* traveling and living their lives normally.  By nature it would be hard to come spend a weekend or a week in a tourist town if you were truly frightened of COVID.  

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Every place I went this weekend I didn’t wear one. Only one person, at Home Depot, just asked me to use the self check out. And she was masked and standing behind plexi glass. 
I told her I’d be happy to use the self checkout. 
I didn’t wear one in or out of the restaurant tonight. No one said shyte.

I’ll wear one at work because they pay my salary, but fook the rest of it. I didn’t get shot up twice with a 90% plus efficacious vaccine and go through 36 hours of fever and aches to wear a foolish piece of cloth over my face when I’m not sick. 

I hear ya'.

For me, I need to at least make people aware of the mask policy at my office as a liability thing. For every dude who says "face diapers are a prison" there is another guy who says having to come to work literally endangers his life and he is calling a lawyer if he sees people not following the rules.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Labeling something as a huge Conspiracy is a bit of a cop out from serious discussion in some cases. I realize people do go over the line with that sort of talk but there is a balance.  Phin isn't living in fear , he's living in annoyance because he believes people are being successfully fear mongered as a means to adjust their behavior and he usually articulates that in a way that pushes people's buttons 

I personally don't think we are all that far from tattling on your neighbors and black vans pulling up to take them away ("in the interest of public health"). Stuff like that has already been recorded in Canada and the UK. It can't really be a conspiracy theory if it's already happening...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I personally don't think we are all that far from tattling on your neighbors and black vans pulling up to take them away ("in the interest of public health"). Stuff like that has already been recorded in Canada and the UK. It can't really be a conspiracy theory if it's already happening...

That is not behavior that is being encouraged...i mean cmon  lol  but i would guarantee you if that was coming out of the mouths of some popular sports stars , or politicians  , many folks would do it ...some out of fear that this was the safest thing to do in our mold-able brains and others from a power trip.  Enough People can be molded to do these things if the "news" says to. .  You hear it enough times and it starts to seep in for many.  But that is not what's going on here. It's a difficult balance and i believe the health authorities just decided it was more effective for the desired changes to go a little overboard . Now there could be a bit of a bigger issue that this helps facilitate the sort of world that technology is taking us toward (less personal interaction) and sort of conditioning us to . I don't say it's a "plan" but an opportunity that presented itself ... never let a good crisis go to waste is not some cliche without precedent. 

• Like 1

This is what keeps up in the wee hours sometimes. 

Definitely running into more people now who are fully vaxxed but still scared to fully emerge. They are “not comfortable” with restaurants, airplanes, or other more crowded places yet because of variants and other unknowns. I assume the vast majority of them will eventually come around, assuming they “trust the science.” The “scary double mutant” talk was really unhelpful to these people, Fauci/CDC... cut it out.
It still cracks me up the reaction I get from certain people when I tell them I travel all over and eat out all the time without the vaccine. Their jaws drop and they are rendered speechless, as if I was skydiving without a parachute and bragging about it. A few have then asked, “How do you do that?” All you can do is just laugh and shrug, really. I can’t explain to other adults how to not be scared of Home Depot or Olive Garden. 

Odd folks you keep running into.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That is not behavior that is being encouraged...i mean cmon  lol but i would guarantee you if that was coming out of the mouths of some popular sports stars , or politicians  , many folks would do it ...some out of fear that this was the safest thing to do in their mush brains and others from a power trip.  Enough People can be molded to do these things if the "news" says to. .  But that is not what's going on here. It's a difficult balance and i believe the health authorities just decided it was more effective for the desired changes to go a little overboard . Now there could be a bit of a bigger issue that this helps facilitate the sort of world that technology is taking us toward (less personal interaction) and sort of conditioning us to . I don't say it's a "plan" but an opportunity... never let a good crisis go to waste is not some cliche.  

https://www.winnipeg.ca/police/press/2020/11Nov/2020_11_04.stm

Effective November 2, 2020, in response to increasing cases of COVID-19, the Winnipeg Metro Region was moved to Critical Level (red). The Winnipeg Police Service has begun triaging calls from the public regarding gathering sizes in private residences and will dispatch resources to intervene as required. 

The Provincial Public Health Order has limited public and private group gathering sizes to five, in addition to the household. Fines for individual breaches have been increased to $1,296 – the second-highest penalty of its kind in Canada. The Winnipeg Police Service response is intended to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the public, and we will continue to remind people of the measures they can take to ensure their own safety. 

The Winnipeg Police Service is one of a number of enforcement bodies who can intervene in breaches. Those who continue to gather in contravention of public health orders may be subject to enforcement action.

https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-how-you-can-help/covid-19-report-non-compliance/

https://globalnews.ca/news/6752215/coronavirus-isolation-how-to-report-covidiot/

Canada has been the world leader in encouraging neighbors to snitch on each other so the police can come.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I see that as isolated instances, not the prime minister going on Tv and encouraging it. I think most governments would realize that would result in a sort of increased threat of blow back for those caught "ratting".

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

This is what keeps up in the wee hours sometimes. 

In late 2019, the idea that a governor could unilaterally close certain businesses and organizations over the protests of the state legislature and force everyone to stay in their homes indefinitely was considered a "conspiracy theory." (before anyone tries -- no one alive today remembers the limited times this happened during the Spanish Flu).

• Haha 1