Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

Cool. As long as you've done your research. I just have a lot of skepticism about the way Cathy runs things. She gives me vibes of some of the momentary celebrity tech fund managers of the late '90s that blew up in the recession. Recently she tends to sell down her higher quality liquid positions and double down on lower quality illiquid stuff, which could be trouble if they face a period of sustained redemption pressure. She also recently suspended concentration limits in her funds, which from a risk management perspective is a bit of a red flag. Her research notes usually don't have any real analytical underpinnings, just a bunch of GIGO models with silly assumptions.  And I should point out that one of the biggest weightings of that space ETF you mentioned is another Ark ETF. That sort of double-dipping raises an eyebrow as well. 

Agreeing the response by @Whineminster here. It does seem like this is a trend to make money capitalizing on publicity. A brief search of "reddit.com ARKX" yields a fair amount of interest there. I wonder if this will effectively be a meme ETF? I'm not interested in playing the momentum game now so I'll bail on it. I do believe that there's room for space-focused active management funds to do well. 

And thanks for the information. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, monadnocks said:

I also got the Pfizer vaccine on Wednesday. Like others, my arm hurt but not too much. I did have two days of less than 100% but I also didn't slow down either. I felt worse with the shingles vaccine.

The tetanus one always knocks me for a loop.  And my primary care loves giving that one to me.  Not sure why.  

So as far as Tesla solar goes, what is the story with the SRECs?

Ive been doing some digging and there is some commentary on how Tesla keeps these? And that these credits are losing value in general? I’ve talked to Matt (butterfish) and the profit from those alone would make the system worth it, if it stays the way it is.

Can anyone explain why they would keep them, or what the story may be with that?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Ive been doing some digging and there is some commentary on how Tesla keeps these? And that these credits are losing value in general? I’ve talked to Matt (butterfish) and the profit from those alone would make the system worth it, if it stays the way it is.

Can anyone explain why they would keep them, or what the story may be with that?

I don't know about the Powerwalls, but I've heard a lot of nightmare stories about Tesla's solar panel operation. Residential and commercial fires, skipped permitting, sub-standard installation, non-existent service etc. Here's a recent article that just came out a few days ago: https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-solar-panel-fires-walmart-amazon-safety-regulator-investigation-foia-2021-3

• Like 1

You should get some quotes from local companies too. They will do a better job of explaining it to you as well. As long as you own the panels you get the SRECs. A company in CA monitors my system remotely and every time I generate 1MWh it it automatically creates a "solar renewable energy credit". It then sells it for me, keeps a small percentage, and sends me the rest as a direct deposit. I think I have corresponded with them three times in the last five years.

Don't do or sign anything that doesn't allow you full and complete control.

51 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

You should get some quotes from local companies too. They will do a better job of explaining it to you as well. As long as you own the panels you get the SRECs. A company in CA monitors my system remotely and every time I generate 1MWh it it automatically creates a "solar renewable energy credit". It then sells it for me, keeps a small percentage, and sends me the rest as a direct deposit. I think I have corresponded with them three times in the last five years.

It looks like the SREC program ended and was replaced with smart program which in an up-front incentive. You probably got in pre 2018 before they switched over.  The upfront incentive is better in my opinion as you get the cash all up front. What did you pay for your system? Did you get anything upfront or just SRECs? 

The SMART Program officially launched on November 26, 2018, marking the last day solar Generation Units in Massachusetts were able to qualify for the SREC II Program. 

https://www.mass.gov/guides/solar-carve-out-and-solar-carve-out-ii-program-information

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Not to be a dink, but literally every single one of her pressers since she took over has been like this.

Right or wrong, people’s patience with continued restrictions is wearing thin fast since we’ve cruised past the one year mark with these measures in place.

Oh, I agree. I also think the scare tactic headlines are doing more harm than good.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well, you know me, I’m going to pick the most ridiculous MSM headlines I can find to post. 

She had me at “impending doom.”

Not a fan of where things are headed now, but I am in the minority on this, I guess, at least in terms of who is loudest on the Internet. Hope everyone enjoys their vaccine passports and continued lockdowns. I'm sure none of that can end badly for us.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not a fan of where things are headed now, but I am in the minority on this, I guess, at least in terms of who is loudest on the Internet. Hope everyone enjoys their vaccine passports and continued lockdowns. I'm sure none of that can end badly for us.

Think people are tired of the hyperbole quotes in the news.

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think people are kind of forgetting the intent of the vaccine. It’s to reduce severe cases and hospitalizations.

A friend of mines father was stunned when he tested positive between shots. It can happen, and it shouldn’t be a huge surprise 

Yes and no. It’s 90% plus effective at stopping infection. That’s the intent. It also lessens the severity if you’re in the 10% that get an infection.  You’ll still see older people in LTC facilities get it even though they’re vaccinated because their immune system is bad.

I did see that lady ER  doc from Brown say that she has yet to admit a patient or see an ER case of anyone that has been vaccinated. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Think people are tired of the hyperbole quotes in the news.

This whole thing is about to go from a social media tiff to real anger and outbursts if one side of the debate tries to implement and enforce vaccine passports (a vaccine mandate) on the other half. People need to take a knee and think real hard about the past year and what has happened and what was promised by politicians and experts before going further, IMO.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You got that right.

She’s supposed to be a physician scientist leading the CDC and we got that emotional mess today? 

It was a bit odd to be honest. I get the need to convey a message... but the impending doom headline on all these news stations made me lol. Impending doom, what the hell has the last 14 months been?

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It was a bit odd to be honest. I get the need to convey a message... but the impending doom headline on all these news stations made me lol. Impending doom, what the hell has the last 14 months been?

It's a ramp up in fear-mongering propaganda because fewer and fewer people will get the vaccine going forward in time. The initial rush of those who desperately needed or desperately wanted the vaccine will begin to wind down long before we get anywhere near 100% vaccinated. The efforts to "compel" those who have not received the vaccine yet are starting...

It should concern anyone who cares even the slightest bit about our rights as free adults.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

It's a ramp up in fear-mongering propaganda because fewer and fewer people will get the vaccine going forward in time. The initial rush of those who desperately needed or desperately wanted the vaccine will begin to wind down long before we get anywhere near 100% vaccinated. The efforts to "compel" those who have not received the vaccine yet are starting...

It should concern anyone who cares even the slightest bit about our rights as free adults.

I think we will be ok if we can get 60-70% vaccinated.  Between that and the number of previous infections we should be good. 

I am an internet epidemiologist 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Damn! I just opened the mail! Second time in 6 months someone filed a fraudulent pandemic unemployment claim in me. I had one back in September. 

COVID has been a total mess for employers. I have been dealing with legal issues and a flood of irrational, career-destroying behavior from employees. So many tweaked people out there. I cannot imagine what a customer-facing establishment like a hair salon or restaurant is dealign with between the general uncertainty, the employees, and the customers. It must be incredibly draining.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's a ramp up in fear-mongering propaganda because fewer and fewer people will get the vaccine going forward in time. The initial rush of those who desperately needed or desperately wanted the vaccine will begin to wind down long before we get anywhere near 100% vaccinated. The efforts to "compel" those who have not received the vaccine yet is starting...

Meanwhile in Canada, the largest ski resort on the planet in terms of skier visits is shutting down again.  British Columbia going back to closures for non-essentials it sounds like... gyms, bars, restaurants, ski areas effected.

C92DFD2A-0ED3-457C-A66F-689F027CA6BB.thumb.jpeg.1bd14fc56afa144bdfde6f1383e30d17.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think we will be ok if we can get 60-70% vaccinated.  Between that and the number of previous infections we should be good. 

I am an internet epidemiologist 

I think we'd be OK too, but that's not what happens with vaccine passports, and I am not seeing our political leaders setting that metric and sticking to it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zeppy said:

Not sure which thread to post this on, so I'll try it here.  Any recommendations for a weather station with anemometer?  Looking in the $120-$180 range.  Just for casual/entertainment use.

I got this one for Christmas and has been good. Like you, it’s just for casual/entertainment use. 
https://ambientweather.com/amws2902.html?utm_campaign=smart-shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google-ads&utm_id=go_cmp-9255048604_adg-93600172293_ad-416614400595_pla-993418500170_dev-m_ext-_prd-WS-2902C_mca-147779820_sig-Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGbucimTTw0ctN2uHfW3sakU-J2hE6HyNJoLB7jJGulLxhAos073KrEaAkD4EALw_wcB&utm_source=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGbucimTTw0ctN2uHfW3sakU-J2hE6HyNJoLB7jJGulLxhAos073KrEaAkD4EALw_wcB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, butterfish55 said:

I’ll shop around... I guess I could do without the power wall... which seems to be a Tesla thing.

Digging a bit more, a lot of disastrous stories about Tesla lol

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zeppy said:

Not sure which thread to post this on, so I'll try it here.  Any recommendations for a weather station with anemometer?  Looking in the $120-$180 range.  Just for casual/entertainment use.

@dendrite is pretty knowledgeable on this stuff. Or at least used to be...lol. We are all getting old now. 

I used to know some good cheap ones back 10-15 years ago but I haven’t kept up. 

Ambient is a decent company for that price range. I also recall AcuRite being good. I think they still make solid stations in that 100-200 range. 

If you’re willing to splurge just a little higher, I think you can get a lower end Davis for 250-300. 

• Like 3