• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

not helping that there's a llv cyclonic 'echo' S of ISP...   almost looks on satellite like it's producing a low ( 700 mb ) level deform band of light shits over eastern sections.  It's whirling away at the speed of 'utterly disconnected from the steering field' so who knows how long that thing claims the day too -

yuck.  it sucks out there now... I just hope we've at least managed some appreciative rain...

But if today busts... it looks like Saturday is trending milder with less backside cold ... 850s stay 0 -ish, with WNW d-slope and 540 thickness > 540 so... it may still make 64...  Cold fails in sneaky ways at this time of year when it does, and spring sometimes has a way of proving by force that July is still coming - lol

4 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Thunder tomorrow?

Oh yeah.

Some of the synoptic basics are in the region - ... not talking Enid OK soundings or anything..but, regional LI's are -3 ..and with low level moisture left elevated by this bs out there now being cooked by sun inside a warm sector...  oh, look - here comes a late day front. 

...and I wonder how 'confounding' it really is ... or 'was,' too.  It's almost like collectively et al we just sort of assumed its vague presence in the guidance ...to mean 'noise' and less influencing perhaps.  Yet it's been there lurking in the guidance all along. I think if it busts the day, like it probably will,  it won't really be as much of a blind sided thing as it will an error in not taking it seriously: 

That said, it's also not really fair - what is in life... - because the guidance over the last 48 hours really showed that as being less influential ... here we are with gumming up matters clear to MHT NH such that it is...

It's a whirl that is decoupled from the mid levels, where the models do better in open air - in other words, it's 'cyclonic volume' is essentially all contained where the models don't do so well.  The NAM sort of hinted at 00z ...with Logan in an slight inversion T1 to T2, and 92% RH1 values through 16z... I saw that and went uh oh -

Another thing I noticed and pisses me off because this happens a lot and I never know when to trust the observation at hand...

yesterday, ...while we finagled that decent day east of the CT River Valley, there was a this nearly stalled N-S oriented wall of light shits from the Capital District of eastern NYS to PHL... inching E at that blazing speed of excruciating. 

I saw that ...and thought, 'that looks like it'll be here tomorrow - is that gonna do that here?'  ...  Seems now, that's precisely what happened ...and, it is still blazing along at the speed of excruciating. 

52 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Probably will get some flood watches here for the second storm on Sunday.

GY already has your area in a watch.  Doesn't extend into Maine yet though the morning AFD mentioned the Swift River in Roxbury, which can reach flood stage if 2 moose pee into it at the same time.

That little mesolow off the southcoast kinda has to kick east before the westerly flow starts mixing down. So it’s probably a slow progression from SW CT up to my way. Models don’t mix the crap out up here until after 18z and we know how that can lag so my hunch is I’m screwed. I’ll probably get some breaks after 5pm when the sun is behind the western pines. 

• Like 1

Signal to destroy April is getting harder to ignore - ...

It was always a wonder to me whether or not the La Nina longer terms climate signal for 'warm tendencies in spring' in the OV/MA/NE regions would kick in.

I have been using that in my seasonal assessment efforts ( ...which is really just voiceless whisper in the din of social media blather such that this outlet offers...).  I had surmised ...if not 'engineered' a way in which it could.

The problem is the HC...  The expansion shit is real - again...this is not me and my hypothesis. This empirically measured and discussed out there in the greater ambit  - I've provided primer material ... but since no one in here ever seems to discuss it, I can only assume that means no one takes it seriously?   I am saying that because hopefully it will help people to believe it - it's not me.  

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/chapter/5/

Key Finding 1

The tropics have expanded poleward by about 70 to 200 miles in each hemisphere over the period 1979–2009, with an accompanying shift of the subtropical dry zones, midlatitude jets, and storm tracks (medium to high confidence). Human activities have played a role in this change (medium confidence), although confidence is presently low regarding the magnitude of the human contribution relative to natural variability.

Key Finding 2

Recurring patterns of variability in large-scale atmospheric circulation (such as the North Atlantic Oscillation and Northern Annular Mode) and the atmosphere–ocean system (such as El Niño–Southern Oscillation) cause year-to-year variations in U.S. temperatures and precipitation (high confidence). Changes in the occurrence of these patterns or their properties have contributed to recent U.S. temperature and precipitation trends (medium confidence), although confidence is low regarding the size of the role of human activities in these changes.

So, even a small expansion in the tropics has to physically integrate into more overall gradient...and, that expansion has been happening since (1979 thru 2009) + 11 years ... a time in which the "hockey stick,"  CC acceleration is going on, . ... that doesn't end well.   The expansion is probably gone on further, and ... gee what the f's been happening in the last 10 years.

Velocity saturation

Index correlation failures, ocean and air

Seasonal and intra-seasonal excessive Standard Deviation anomalies like 70s and 80s in February at 40 N around the hemisphere ... like, 3 or 4 times in 10 years...

Commercial airliners backing us into a wonderful experimental sampling with their consummate record breaking short flight times over oceanic basins, with some nearing sonic speeds...

...litany of examples that ... seems like threshold is either being crossed, or... it's pulled pretty taut.

So ... that 'index correlation failure' bold there... that's been iffy for this spring and assessing whether the La Nina stat would dominate.  But that April with the blockbuster -NAO out of now where and suddenly explosion of +PNA into the first week of the month - that's not winter coming back, first of all... What that is, is relaxation slosh back at hemispheric scales.  It's the HC velocities abandoning the flow, and suddenly, for a window that may last a couple of weeks ( ~)  you get these residual blocking nodes to pop off.  It's done this ever spring in the past 5 years and it seems that the models/ ens means are trying to send the continent through the seasonal gating again. 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That little mesolow off the southcoast kinda has to kick east before the westerly flow starts mixing down. So it’s probably a slow progression from SW CT up to my way. Models don’t mix the crap out up here until after 18z and we know how that can lag so my hunch is I’m screwed. I’ll probably get some breaks after 5pm when the sun is behind the western pines. 

yeah... 'been bitchin' about it all morning myself.. heh

kind of bust - sort of...

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I was mentioning that yesterday. Might be some morning rumbles..maybe srfc stuff in the aftn esp north?

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh yeah.

Some of the synoptic basics are in the region - ... not talking Enid OK soundings or anything..but, regional LI's are -3 ..and with low level moisture left elevated by this bs out there now being cooked by sun inside a warm sector...  oh, look - here comes a late day front. 

SNE in the morning. NNE in the evening.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

People torn off the chairlifts. 

I was at Cannon once in March (early 2000's) and they closed the Mountain due to severe.  I was riding the lift with my BIL and we were getting a little anxious watching the lightning fire off in the distance.  Not a good feeling lol.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I was at Cannon once in March (early 2000's) and they closed the Mountain due to severe.  I was riding the lift with my BIL and we were getting a little anxious watching the lightning fire off in the distance.  Not a good feeling lol.

Stowe Snowboard at 3K violently and uncontrollably flying around and decapitating people. 

• Haha 1