Total Members
    Most Online
    GRMNSnowDay
    Newest Member
    GRMNSnowDay
Monday Morning 2/22 Snow Event

Ji

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Pretty incredible year up there for you. You usually do better than us out here. But not usually by this large of a margin. I am not complaining being over climo. Just making an observation. I have around 6 or 7 inches of snowpack. I expect it will be gone, except for the piles at the end of my driveway, by Friday. 

Yea this is by far the year I’ve done the best with regard to everyone around me...even north of me. Like you said yea I’m typically the max for our area except for far western zones but this year the difference was even more extreme. 

@HighStakes my 5.5” was definitely low. Now that I’m out clearing and looking around the 5.5 area i typically measure in was a low spot. Wind was unusual with this one so snow drifted it weird ways compared to what I’m used to. The 5.5 areas are compacted down to 4.5 now but I found a general 6-8” of new depth on top of the ice on the other side of my property (downwind) of the ridge which was the opposite side of normal.  Even one foot drifts very common on the front side of my house. 
p5ph3Xq.jpg

If I simply take an average of measurements around my property between the board on my driveway, the deck, and the front walk I get 6.5” and that’s without counting the 1 foot drifts. Plus it was likely more since there has been a lot of compaction since 2 hours ago!  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, this. Our only shot at a clean event was wave 2 of the Feb 10-12 timeframe, and that one completely clipped us. Final maps for the year will be pretty telling. Payback for Jan 11-13 2019 maybe? :yikes:

And that one fringed BWI...lol So we are in a particularly bad drought of warning-criteria snow. 5 years...but we have had scenery snow at least, lol

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And that one fringed BWI...lol So we are in a particularly bad drought of warning-criteria snow. 5 years...but we have had scenery snow at least, lol

Really? I see 6.4" from that event in BWI. But yeah, it didn't all fall in a 12hr period like the warning criteria says, so I guess it isn't a true warning event for there. 4.6" for March 21 2018 which is barely off the mark there. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Really? I see 6.4" from that event in BWI. But yeah, it didn't all fall in a 12hr period like the warning criteria says, so I guess it isn't a true warning event for there. 4.6" for March 21 2018 which is barely off the mark there. 

Really? They must've revised that, because I could've sworn the official measurement from that storm was a trolling 4.8", Iol That's kinda how it's gone...everything but 5"!

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@HighStakes my 5.5” was definitely low. Now that I’m out clearing and looking around the 5.5 area i typically measure in was a low spot. Wind was unusual with this one so snow drifted it weird ways compared to what I’m used to. The 5.5 areas are compacted down to 4.5 now but I found a general 6-8” of new depth on top of the ice on the other side of my property (downwind) of the ridge which was the opposite side of normal.  Even one foot drifts very common on the front side of my house. 
p5ph3Xq.jpg

If I simply take an average of measurements around my property between the board on my driveway, the deck, and the front walk I get 6.5” and that’s without counting the 1 foot drifts. Plus it was likely more since there has been a lot of compaction since 2 hours ago!  

We need to buy up some property on "Psuhoff Ridge" and start an AmWx snow colony. That Is the Place!

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

p5ph3Xq.jpg

This season has been a little weird for measuring. Mixing, compaction, wind etc. We've had multiple events that compacted immediately. 

This year also has been the largest spread between our measurements due to the marginal events. I've also been a little lazy this year and missed an inch or so along the way. The first event of the year in December you got 3 and I only got 1-1.5. Then the Feb. 7th event I got 5.5 and you got 6.5 -7.0. That storm became very marginal the last 2 hours. 

We probably have a 5-6 inch spread between our houses.  

Ditto on the measurements!

I will say this though, this is the first time since 2010 that my deck has had over a foot of snow in the middle for the entire month (so far) of February.

It's been a weird winter but I'll take it!

If severe is weird and we catch a tornado on one of the security cameras I hope it's a tiny one like this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

This season has been a little weird for measuring. Mixing, compaction, wind etc. We've had multiple events that compacted immediately. 

This year also has been the largest spread between our measurements due to the marginal events. I've also been a little lazy this year and missed an inch or so along the way. The first event of the year in December you got 3 and I only got 1-1.5. Then the Feb. 7th event I got 5.5 and you got 6.5 -7.0. That storm became very marginal the last 2 hours. 

We probably have a 5-6 inch spread between our houses.  

That’s crazy but when the snow isn’t too deep we hike down the goat trail from my back yard to the neighborhood below us across from Ebb Valley and a few times there has been a very noticeable difference in snow depth between up here and down there.  That’s the first time since I’ve been up here that I’ve noticed it that extreme. I know you said over the years from time to time there is a difference but never several times in a single season and to this extreme. But it makes sense since we had several storms where a bulk of the snow fell right near 32 degrees. That 1-2 degree difference between up here and down there can make a difference when it’s that close I guess. That and upslope/downslope. Every little bit with rates matters when you’re trying to accumulate at 33-34 degrees 

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s crazy but when the snow isn’t too deep we hike down the goat trail from my back yard to the neighborhood below us across from Ebb Valley and a few times there has been a very noticeable difference in snow depth between up here and down there.  That’s the first time since I’ve been up here that I’ve noticed it that extreme. I know you said over the years from time to time there is a difference but never several times in a single season and to this extreme. But it makes sense since we had several storms where a bulk of the snow fell right near 32 degrees. That 1-2 degree difference between up here and down there can make a difference when it’s that close I guess. That and upslope/downslope. Every little bit with rates matters when you’re trying to accumulate at 33-34 degrees 

Where are you for the year? I'm right around 35" on the west side of town in Westminster. I suspect you're mid to upper 40's? 

47 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Your micro-climate is really fascinating.  It makes you wonder what it would be like if you had elevations of say 2500 feet in that area.

15 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Where are you for the year? I'm right around 35" on the west side of town in Westminster. I suspect you're mid to upper 40's? 

I think he recently reported 51” to date. More than my spot in SNE.

Seems like the gradient this winter is even more ridiculous than 2013-14. Of course it is normal for north and west to do better, but the differences seem abnormally steep this year. I feel for the I 95 crowd, especially near DCA.

1 hour ago, DDweatherman said:

35 for the year? Hm. You must be in a snow shadow next to the ridge for some of these storms. That’s a rather large difference between you, NE Westminster and Manchester. Especially since some places to your west are over 40-45” as well. 30” in February alone here. My totals typically line up pretty well with @losetoa6 since we’re not very far apart -however we both typically get less than PSU’ville. 46.75” total here for the season. I’ve got some elevation to help out, but am probably about 300 ft below PSU

@HighStakes Nora demanded we take our normal walk, snow or not, so we made it down the goat trail and are walking in your hood now.   There is a definite MAJOR difference. 

Up top

Pd1kEEM.jpg
QfjaBMC.jpg

1DgGV5R.jpg

at the bottom 

307g1cD.jpg

yYSqTOy.jpg

It’s not uniform and I’m just eyeballing it but it’s ~12-15” depth up top and 5-8” at the bottom. That’s CRAZY!!!!

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, jayyy said:

35 for the year? Hm. You must be in a snow shadow next to the ridge for some of these storms. That’s a rather large difference between you, NE Westminster and Manchester. Especially since some places to your west are over 40-45” as well. 30” in February alone here. My totals typically line up pretty well with @losetoa6 since we’re not very far apart -however we both typically get less than PSU’ville. 46.75” total here for the season. I’ve got some elevation to help out, but am probably about 300 ft below PSU

I might have missed a storm, I was in Florida for quite a while and think I am closer to 40” after tallying. I actually have more elevation than you at 770 feet or so. Westminster is at a higher elevation than UB for the most part. You start to get towards the valley as you go west on Uniontown/Middleburg Rd. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.