Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,960
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NHDrySlot
    Newest Member
    NHDrySlot
    Joined

Monday Morning 2/22 Snow Event


Ji
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, osfan24 said:

Ha, really? That's so weird. Raining hard here.

Another storm, another ellicott city / Columbia transition zone. Reports of rain, snow, and sleet all coming from various parts of east HoCo. My brother said he had a healthy mix when he left his house off 108 and it’s pouring rain (freezing) near Oella 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Nice!  I haven't followed this threat but that seems like an overperformer based on the LWX map I saw last night, right?

Yes based on lwx forecast maps but I felt like we had a good shot at 4. Every model had us getting between  35-.45 qpf. and every model looked cold enough up here.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Another storm, another ellicott city / Columbia transition zone. Reports of rain, snow, and sleet all coming from various parts of east HoCo. My brother said he had a healthy mix when he left his house off 108 and it’s pouring rain (freezing) near Oella 

At least for this winter, it seems like @WxUSAF and I have had almost identical weather. I was curious if my location in Ellicott City would be any colder/snowier since it's a bit northwest of him (I'm just north of 40/south of 70 in western EC), but it seems like it's been basically the same.

My old location was just barely east of Route 1 near 100 and I definitely seemed warmer than him at that location and he would definitely get more wintry weather than me in any marginal events.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, osfan24 said:

At least for this winter, it seems like @WxUSAF and I have had almost identical weather. I was curious if my location in Ellicott City would be any colder/snowier since it's a bit northwest of him (I'm just north of 40/south of 70 in western EC), but it seems like it's been basically the same.

I think you have to have done a little better than me.  I'm now at 17" for the season and I'd wager you're more like 20"?  But the bigger difference has been between us and Sykesville area.  You've definitely done better than your old house in Elkridge though I'd say.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Gonna be sad to see the snowpack go.  I've had snow on the ground at my house since January 31st.

I’m kinda hoping today’s snow was enough to withstand the warm days this week and make a run at a month. Maybe we get some next weekend. After that I’m done. Cant complain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5” on the dot. Looks like that’ll be all she wrote as a slight snow / sleet mix is all that remains overhead. Helluva morning. Think there will be some 6-7” reports to my west and east in the higher elevated areas like Thurmont or PSU’ville

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I think you have to have done a little better than me.  I'm now at 17" for the season and I'd wager you're more like 20"?  But the bigger difference has been between us and Sykesville area.  You've definitely done better than your old house in Elkridge though I'd say.  

Yeah, I edited my last post to add that I definitely am in a much better spot than Elkridge. I need to get a snowboard and start keeping more careful track. I just do the old eyeball. Might as well slant stick lol. I don't think I'm over 20. I'd have to go back and try to remember each event. I'm guessing I have like 18?

I agree it does seem like literally going just across 70 a few miles to my northwest seems to make a world of difference. Seems like the one poster from Sykesville has reported snow when I've had mix or rain more than a few times this year. I think Sykesville, and especially once you get into Eldersburg, seems like a definite step up in the snow game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I think you have to have done a little better than me.  I'm now at 17" for the season and I'd wager you're more like 20"?  But the bigger difference has been between us and Sykesville area.  You've definitely done better than your old house in Elkridge though I'd say.  

The gradient of total seasonal snowfall between laurel/elkridge, ellicott city, sykesville, and taneytown is actually pretty mind blowing this winter. Ranges from about 15” to 50+“ within a 40 mile span. I know it’s colder up north, but that seems like way wider of a discrepancy than usual.  (It definitely is based on all of the animosity received this season)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

Amazing! My son goes to school at the Mount, and he’s so over this winter already lol. I just sent him a troll text with a ton of falling snowflakes :lol:

congrats on the cash in! Enjoy friend. 

He must of not taken after you if he's done with Winter already :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

The gradient of total seasonal snowfall between laurel/elkridge, ellicott city, sykesville, and taneytown is actually pretty mind blowing this winter. Ranges from about 15” to 50+“ within a 40 mile span. I know it’s colder up north, but that seems like way wider of a discrepancy than usual. 

Definitely a much stronger gradient than usual.  Hell, I have 6-7" more than BWI. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

5” on the dot. Looks like that’ll be all she wrote as a slight snow / sleet mix is all that remains overhead. Helluva morning. Think there will be some 6-7” reports to my west and east in the higher elevated areas like Thurmont or PSU’ville

Got 5.5 but could have been more I’m teaching and couldn’t clear when sleet started to mix the last hour. Lot of compaction so the last band didn’t add any depth even though it was puking snow/sleet for 30 mins. But since I didn’t clear the area I can’t get a perfect measurement and I don’t want to guess and inflate so the final depth of 5.5 was what I recorded. It was very likely 6 had I done it correctly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

The gradient of total seasonal snowfall between laurel/elkridge, ellicott city, sykesville, and taneytown is actually pretty mind blowing this winter. Ranges from about 15” to 50+“ within a 40 mile span. I know it’s colder up north, but that seems like way wider of a discrepancy than usual.  (It definitely is based on all of the animosity received this season)

Yeah, I'm glad the northern folks have actually managed a pretty good winter. Think most people along (once you get a bit farther west than me) and north of 70 have had a nice winter and are either at or above climo with a month to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chris78 said:

He must of not taken after you if he's done with Winter already :lol:

He definitely got his mama’s genes in this regard. Jess despises the cold and winter weather in general. Definitely didn’t get that blasphemy from me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Definitely a much stronger gradient than usual.  Hell, I have 6-7" more than BWI. 

Yes I can vouch for over on this side...about 10-11" but some of the heaviest snow of the year right now...go figure. Too bad it wont last.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...