• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dankles
    Newest Member
    Dankles
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

Heck of a deluge here.  Unfortunately don't know how much we got in the initial wave, but it was torrential for about 20 mins.  My Vantage VUE bu batteries were old and when the power burped the memory was lost.  

Below is a video after things calmed down some.  Traffic on the road in front of our house was at a standstill.  

Edit - may need to right click and "open in new window" to view.

In the end, pretty garden variety-ish. So much for my theory about full sun and shelf clouds. National did report a gust that touched severe though. Another LSR of a tree down along Canal Road. Then again, every thunderstorm event around here, invariably there’s a report of a tree down along there or MacArthur or Clara Barton. 

Surprised at the local FFWarn; the rain wasn’t especially torrential IMBY.  Maybe they’re expecting another round before the warning expires at 630

A few trees and branches down near my office in Crofton. Was definitely the most intense thunderstorm of 2021 for me. We had a lightning strike right outside our office that took out our office network and cooked the electronics in one of our employees' cars. 

• Like 1

Me and the boys got to see a water spout in Ocean City.. probably about mile off the coast at ~80th street.  

The storm had some wild rotation and once it got off the coast it formed a water spout.. that is the second one I ever witnessed.  The first one I was on a boat and it was hit directly by the it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

Me and the boys got to see a water spout in Ocean City.. probably about mile off the coast at ~80th street.  

The storm had some wild rotation and once it got off the coast it formed a water spout.. that is the second one I ever witnessed.  The first one I was on a boat and it was hit directly by the it.

Did you get any pictures?

1 minute ago, high risk said:

I don't understand this event at all.     The parameters don't seem to support what seems to be a fairly impressive severe event (albeit along a narrow corridor) this evening.

I had noticed early this evening (6-8pm) that the dewpoint temps had risen to the low/mid 70's yielding 1500+ J/kg SBCAPE. Okay, I thought, that little bit of convection in the mountains may intensify into heavy downpours w/ occasional lightning and gusty(non-severe) winds given the 40kt EBWD. But legitimately severe winds with a potential tornado? Nope I certainly didn't anticipate the convection getting THIS intense.