Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tuesday Feb 9th Snow

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

This won't be paste.  Antecedent is even colder than yesterdays storm.  This could be a fluffer.  Just need some help in the lift department to get this ramped up some beyond 1-3" type deal.  Euro was good.  NAM coming in pretty good too.

On to march then

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

This won't be paste.  Antecedent is even colder than yesterdays storm.  This could be a fluffer.  Just need some help in the lift department to get this ramped up some beyond 1-3" type deal.  Euro was good.  NAM coming in pretty good too.

What determines how wet the snow is? Can surface temps above freezing give it the slight melting it needs or is it more about aloft temps?

Just now, JC-CT said:

What determines how wet the snow is? Can surface temps above freezing give it the slight melting it needs or is it more about aloft temps?

Low level temps will definitely determine how wet a snow looks/feels.  It's wont dictate ratios though.  Temps aloft and how deep the SGZ are will dictate ratios.  Too warm or too cold and you'll have lower ratios. -15C is the ideal temp at to maximize dendrites.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Low level temps will definitely determine how wet a snow looks/feels.  It's wont dictate ratios though.  Temps aloft and how deep the SGZ are will dictate ratios.  Too warm or too cold and you'll have lower ratios. -15C is the ideal temp at to maximize dendrites.

Yeah, so low level temps seem marginal here? I guess depends on the model

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Lol I was just reading that this morning to try to figure out what crosshair sig meant. Although I concluded that I think it means just a different view of looking for the intersection of the right lift, temps and saturation?