Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 11th Lt snow ,snowstorm 14th??

Ginx snewx

23 minutes ago, Hoth said:

A little ice is no biggie, but I want no part of .5"+ accretion. 

A little ice is ok as long as treated with caution. Yes .5" of accretion will bring down limbs and powerlines but even .10" of ice can cause big issues if it's not taken seriously like what happened in Fort Worth today. Think they had very little ice there this morning but because it was on an overpass, it caused big problems

47 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yeah, have no use for it then. My fav period is mid dec to mid-mar, then I want it over.

Why no use for it?  Snowpack usually at its deepest, long daylight hours to enjoy it (snowmobiling off into the sunset) and it’s usually not 10 below zero either.

Thats the best time to enjoy winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Lava's shook.

I mean mid-March in NNE can be one of my favorite times for enjoying snow.  It’s light out past 4pm and it’s often still cold enough but not overly cold...and if it’s mild, it’s often a low wet-bulb dry 50F on top of deepest snow depths.  I’d think the snowmobiling is about as good as it gets at times, just like skiing.  You guys can probably pack on some big mileage days with that daylight too, and don’t have to dress like an eskimo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I mean mid-March in NNE can be one of my favorite times for enjoying snow.  It’s light out past 4pm and it’s often still cold enough but not overly cold...and if it’s mild, it’s often a low wet-bulb dry 50F on top of deepest snow depths.  I’d think the snowmobiling is about as good as it gets at times, just like skiing.  You guys can probably pack on some big mileage days with that daylight too, and don’t have to dress like an eskimo.

Yeah, Some of the issues that happen here is that a lot of clubs by that time stop grooming, High ground also takes a beating with the higher sun angle and the snow on road crossings are starting to recede, But you can wear a lot less layers.

• Like 1

Final snowfall totals from todays event. This was a pretty easy/straight forward forecast with a general C-1 for 85% of the state. Very high ratios helped get some areas above an inch and above two inches a couple instances.

Positives

• 85% of the state verified in the C-1 range
  • Highest amounts as noted in the fx verified exactly in SW CT 
  • Noted 1"+ in the fx with several amounts 1 and some change in SW CT

Negatives

• 2 reports >2" at the immediate SW shore, could have went with a 1-3 range in SW CT

Grade: A- 

02_10.21_jdj_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.e9eec7d8dd4108b6256584a442351f9a.jpg02_10.21_jdj_snowfall_forecast.thumb.jpg.b3b1d44794773ee0415d1d225a9749e8.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, dryslot said:

Yeah, Some of the issues that happen here is that a lot of clubs by that time stop grooming, High ground also takes a beating with the higher sun angle and the snow on road crossings are starting to recede, But you can wear a lot less layers.

Yeah, there can be great riding then, no doubt. But I want snow everyday until March 15th and then it can melt. Our clubs groom until they don’t have snow so that’s not a big issue. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ahh interesting.  That makes sense.  The variability between super deep pack in woods and sun spots burning out probably is a bit more problematic for snowmachines than skiers.  Probably takes a beating on warm days from the weight of the sleds... ruts and soft spots.

I guess take it back a couple weeks... probably like March 1 is prime time then for mix of snowpack depth, length of daylight and still being winter for snowmobilers?

• Like 1

Why no use for it?  Snowpack usually at its deepest, long daylight hours to enjoy it (snowmobiling off into the sunset) and it’s usually not 10 below zero either.
Thats the best time to enjoy winter.
I'm a cyclist and start thinking about hitting the roads. Last year was able to start riding in late March.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh interesting.  That makes sense.  The variability between super deep pack in woods and sun spots burning out probably is a bit more problematic for snowmachines than skiers.  Probably takes a beating on warm days from the weight of the sleds... ruts and soft spots.

I guess take it back a couple weeks... probably like March 1 is prime time then for mix of snowpack depth, length of daylight and still being winter for snowmobilers?

You end up with a lot of snirt on the high ground and rocks become exposed, A lot of younger guys ride off trail so its all good in the deep woods in March where there is still a mega pack but that shipped sailed for this old man 30 years ago.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm a cyclist and start thinking about hitting the roads. Last year was able to start riding in late March.

That makes sense, I'm just busting your balls.  I know when the sun angle goes up we start thinking of other things.  It is wishful thinking though at any point of March in NNE.  Even April.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any hints for Tueday (I know it is out of range)

Slightly slower down south which tells me likely a little more amped than 12z if we extrapolated. But hard to say for sure. 

The Sunday system is still bothering me on guidance a little bit. Analog setups have decent QPF (like around a half inch for much of SNE)...so I’m wondering if that ramps back up a little inside 48h. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

18z Euro is weak sauce for Sunday. Basically sliced QPF in half. Maybe an inch or two in the max zone. 

These off hour runs have been doing that all winter. Then increases on the good  hours . They def have changed something in the model physics / configurations in the off hour runs 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Slightly slower down south which tells me likely a little more amped than 12z if we extrapolated. But hard to say for sure. 

The Sunday system is still bothering me on guidance a little bit. Analog setups have decent QPF (like around a half inch for much of SNE)...so I’m wondering if that ramps back up a little inside 48h. 

Windshield wiper effect for now... probably will end up somewhere in the middle