Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

17 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

GFS is a 3-5” storm.  Seems right. 

3-5” as a baseline area wide is a great call. Zero shot it has any idea about meso/banding details however.

@MillvilleWx and @csnavywx explained it best, but we’re going to have some big heartbreak awfully close by to the jackpot zones with this setup. 10” in one location could mean 4-5” a few miles down the road 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Those snowfall totals don’t line up with the precip amounts IMO. The last sounding I saw at DC looked cold almost all the way to the surface. I would think their nearly 1” of precip would translate to more snow.

That’s why you don’t use those maps to make any sort of meaningful forecast prediction. They are clown maps for a reason.  

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If it’s a wet snow B)

That’s... not how that works. At all. You have that backwards. If it’s a super wet, dense snow, snowfall to QPF ratios are lower lol  Cold temps + powder snow = higher ratios. Doubt we see powder. 12.1 for our latitude seems reasonable. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

That’s... not how that works. At all. You have that backwards. If it’s a super wet, dense snow, snowfall to QPF ratios are lower lol  Cold temps + powder snow = higher ratios. Doubt we see powder.

lol you’re funny 

Fastest week ever and my weeks already go by in a blink. Nothing technical to add. Excellent job ITT for me to quick scan and go (or go to sleep) this week.

I do want to sincerely thank mets @MillvilleWx @csnavywx @high risk for their outstanding posts about fronto, jet structure, and model guidance considerations when parsing thru suites among other things. I live for this stuff man. It helps build a "concept" versus verbatim surface panel output. That stuff is really important if you want to conceptualize what's going on top to bottom instead of snow map central (not knocking. I like snow maps too!). The only way you can "out think" a model is by understanding the mechanics of what's approaching and drawing your own "painting" in your head.

I had a blast last weekend but it reminded me how easy it is to get sucked in to the wrong idea. One thing we're all guilty of is "maybe it's different this time" with a setup. Sometimes it is but using history as a guide for the future is powerful. In tne end, last weekend went just like I was thinking leading in. I'm pretty damn thankful to get the 6" I eeked out. Thru similar storm history it was an overperformer. Dont lose sight of that. Even if it felt blah on Sunday

The upcoming event should be a blast. Radar extrapolation will work well this time. No worries about needing all kinds of crazy things to line up. We just want to be in the stripe and so far we are. I remember on mon-tues seeing the gfs keeping us in the dead space median strip while energy passed north and south at the same time. My first thought was "this never happens in reality". Memory of past events and your backyard climo is more accurate than just model output alone. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Fastest week ever and my weeks already go by in a blink. Nothing technical to add. Excellent job ITT for me to quick scan and go (or go to sleep) this week.

I do want to sincerely thank mets @MillvilleWx @csnavywx @high risk for their outstanding posts about fronto, jet structure, and model guidance considerations when parsing thru suites among other things. I live for this stuff man. It helps build a "concept" versus verbatim surface panel output. That stuff is really important if you want to conceptualize what's going on top to bottom instead of snow map central (not knocking. I like snow maps too!). The only way you can "out think" a model is by understanding the mechanics of what's approaching and drawing your own "painting" in your head.

I had a blast last weekend but it reminded me how easy it is to get sucked in to the wrong idea. One thing we're all guilty of is "maybe it's different this time" with a setup. Sometimes it is but using history as a guide for the future is powerful. In tne end, last weekend went just like I was thinking leading in. I'm pretty damn thankful to get the 6" I eeked out. Thru similar storm history it was an overperformer. Dont lose sight of that. Even if it felt blah on Sunday

The upcoming event should be a blast. Radar extrapolation will work well this time. No worries about needing all kinds of crazy things to line up. We just want to be in the stripe and so far we are. I remember on mon-tues seeing the gfs keeping us in the dead space median strip while energy passed north and south at the same time. My first thought was "this never happens in reality". Memory of past events and your backyard climo is more accurate than just model output alone. 

Thanks Bob. These are the kind of storms I know you like too. Hot and heavy, no wait, puking fatties, and perfect for that extra long dog walk B)

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic