Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 7th-9th event

Thundersnow12

13 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Has to be close to a record high snow:liquid ratio there. For once the wxbell kuchie maps were spot on. 

There was an event several years ago, I'm sure @Chicago Storm remembers it and may even know the exact date, but Chicago got 8-10 inches on something in the I want to say 90's:1 SLR. It was back when he still frequented the Accuwx forums. Was a crazy ratio and one of the times I was truly weather jealous of the northerners :lol:

• Like 1

Nice to read (and hear from family) about the good snows around the city of Chicago. I’m home on vacation in Poplar Grove, where it’s been mostly smaller type flakes off & on.

Anyone know the current ORD snow total for Feb? Gotta already be one of the snowiest months in a few seasons, I would think.

There was an event several years ago, I'm sure [mention=147]Chicago Storm[/mention] remembers it and may even know the exact date, but Chicago got 8-10 inches on something in the I want to say 90's:1 SLR. It was back when he still frequented the Accuwx forums. Was a crazy ratio and one of the times I was truly weather jealous of the northerners :lol:

Day after Christmas 2009.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Want some of that late week

You are close enough to the lakeshore that a mesolow can make landfall and dump.  Small area south of Grand Haven may get crushed if it moves east.  Don't know if it will though.  There's an easterly land breeze pushing the band offshore on the north end.   Seems pretty stationary.  GRR is way too far inland.  Even if it were to move east it would dissipate.

Puffballs here (southeast Naperville near DuPage/Will border) underneath the band, +SN but a nice gentle deep winter evening. Stacking nicely.

Edit: photo of my backyard for reference, the snow (largest dendrites around dime size) is stacking vertically on that chairback, showing how it's ultra light high SLR fluff and also no wind to disturb it. Basically perfect conditions in this band to max out efficiency. 00Z DVN sounding has 13kft deep DGZ with lapse rates >7C/km above the 700 mb centered f-gen zone.

e49fb40a0e5832f1a2377f51636cacc8.jpg

• Like 7