• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

5 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

12" in Garwood, Central Union County NJ by 11:30AM.  Snow almost looked like a little semi melted refrozen flakes mixed in?  Anybody see an additional foot for this area?  Seems the most intense banding has worked inland.

Not far from you and easily have 16-17 inches.  I think 12-16 more will be tough but can see an easy 6-10 more.

29 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My temp quickly dropped a full degree, coldest since early this morning at 29.0, was not expecting that. Also about 10" here

Dropped by a half degree here since noon and another inch of snow.  11" as of 12:30.  The snowflakes are smaller but nicely formed dendrites.  They are filling the air bigtime, kind of a "suffocating snow".  I like the look.

Smithtown NY 12:30PM

29F, S+, 11" OG

• Like 4

Just now, Snowfreak09 said:

National weather service dropped the ball.  This is a full fledged blizzard 

I think this verbiage is too harsh. A winter storm warning for "Heavy snow [...] of 14 to 18 inches" and "Winds gusting as high as 45 mph" conveys pretty much the same messaging as a blizzard warning. The prescribed preparedness checklist is also either very similar or identical. The public had all the resources they needed from the NWS to prepare for a blizzard-like storm.

• Like 2

Just now, Juliancolton said:

I think this verbiage is too harsh. A winter storm warning for "Heavy snow [...] of 14 to 18 inches" and "Winds gusting as high as 45 mph" conveys pretty much the same messaging as a blizzard warning. The prescribed preparedness checklist is also either very similar or identical. The public had all the resources they needed from the NWS to prepare for a blizzard-like storm.

I think along the same lines however I remember the same criticisms being made for no hurricane warnings for Sandy, granted this system is going to have much less of an impact than Sandy did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Dropped by a half degree here since noon and another inch of snow.  11" as of 12:30.  The snowflakes are smaller but nicely formed dendrites.  They are filling the air bigtime, kind of a "suffocating snow".  I like the look.

Smithtown NY 12:30PM

29F, S+, 11" OG

27.8 now...massive temp drop along entire north shore...FRG even down to 28 now...very unexpected

• Like 2