Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 light snows

ORH_wxman

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

At least it looks like most won't have bare ground for the arctic shot on Friday...might struggle to get out of single digits high terrain.

Trying to remember the last time a 5H dropped below 500 as it traveled south through NE. That ULL might keep snow going on and off.

500th.us_ne (1).png

• Like 1

I am thinking that an upper level low that intense will deliver some insane snow bands over the coastline.  There is room for the storm on Thursday to shift northwest some still.  As our first low develops a secondary low off the Delmarva, the blocking pattern slows the storm down offshore, and as the primary weakens and is brought to the coastline and south of LI and ACK it leaves a weakness in the overall surface pattern.  The models today compared to 12z yesterday all showed a slower southern stream and a faster movement of the Polar vortex to the southeast.  Now a few stronger trends to a closer interaction we could see the monster low develop closer to the benchmark and with such a large upper circulation present snows could develop hundreds of miles northwest of the low.  I just think 72 hours is enough time still for changes to occur.

• Weenie 2

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Will, the models bring that H5 low to the south of the region, problem is, the upper low is too transient

Yeah it doesn't drop the low to our latitude or below until well east of us. Otherwise it would probably make for an interesting surprise potential....but it just doesn't have the room to do it on this setup.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wasn't that a west to east bowling ball though?

Sort of...it dropped down from lake Huron....pretty steep SSE trajectory until it swung east....like Huron to BUF to ABE and then eastward south of LI and back northeast into George's Bank.

13 minutes ago, PWMan said:

Most of the Maine coastal plain will still be green. Maybe we see an inch over the course of 48 hours, but it looks like I may get through the entire month of January without touching the snow-blower.

Yeah, Its been bad, I'm looking towards the first week of Feb, That's been the period I've kept an eye on for up here.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sort of...it dropped down from lake Huron....pretty steep SSE trajectory until it swung east....like Huron to BUF to ABE and then eastward south of LI and back northeast into George's Bank.

So it must be the progressive flow that is shunting the upper low southeast to the east of CHH instead of south of LI.  Because couldn't the block insist on shunting the upper low to the south of LI?  Also couldn't the tug of the southern stream system cause the upper low to move more west and south of LI?

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this one drops basically due south too late for good easterly flow. Still could see some convective stuff with -40 plus 5H with any lapse rates.