Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2

Chicago Storm

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

Definitely will under-perform what guidance showed, unless something surprises in the next few hours.

Luckily, lower end of NWS forecast should work out that way.

LNK, OMA, SE NE and SW IA are on pace to do well though. OMA is at 3 and LNK is already at 6. Thats more or less what guidance had there through 18z.

Just now, Snowstorms said:

I've noticed these type of deformation bands always set-up away from the Lake especially north of 401. Thermals look good for some decent dendrites too.

What's your take on any potential lake enhancement? 

With regards to lake enhancement, I don't see that being a major component of this system for GTA. Sounding data indicates surface winds are ENE with winds veering with height (i.e 850mb winds ESE and 700mb SW). This amount of directional shear doesn't support organized enhancement. Sfc-700mb temps are in the range of -9C to 0C which is also a bit warm for organized enhancement. We would typically want inversion heights to be more elevated & mid-level temps a bit cooler given lake temps about 5-6C.

1875532340_ScreenShot2021-01-25at1_32_13PM.thumb.png.d8fecd94e8c90fce38a08d4bb3398c12.png

• Like 1

Things looking good here, visibilities have been <1 mile all morning. Local office described 12pm - 7pm as best time for snow, imagine that band in Lincoln plays big into that outlook. Plows can't keep up on the main roads, much less side roads.

3 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

I agree. Most of the snow should fall within a few hours with the leading FGEN band. Looks favorable for some good dendrites too. Could be some lake enhancement from Mississauga to Oakville. After such a quiet and boring month, even 4” will feel like a winter wonderland.

Nice to see you back again. 

Agree with Blizz96's assessment on twitter, LES is not going to be a big factor in this one.  HRRR overdone.

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mimillman said:

HRRR doesn't look bad, but it's definitely going to come down to the lake being the saving grace for those on the immediate lakeshore.

At least it's looking like the lake effect will be quasi-stationary/wobble around the city and nearby as we get into Tue/Wed.  Still would appear to me that it could tack on an additional 2-4" (maybe locally higher) in some areas late Tue-Wed.

1 hour ago, blizzardof96 said:

With regards to lake enhancement, I don't see that being a major component of this system for GTA. Sounding data indicates surface winds are ENE with winds veering with height (i.e 850mb winds ESE and 700mb SW). This amount of directional shear doesn't support organized enhancement. Sfc-700mb temps are in the range of -9C to 0C which is also a bit warm for organized enhancement. We would typically want inversion heights to be more elevated & mid-level temps a bit cooler given lake temps about 5-6C.

1875532340_ScreenShot2021-01-25at1_32_13PM.thumb.png.d8fecd94e8c90fce38a08d4bb3398c12.png

Okay makes sense. Thank you for the breakdown. Not super knowledgeable when it comes to lake effect, so thanks for the insight. 

Should be a good event nonetheless and should help YYZ inch closer to average. 

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Yep. Currently no mention of mix here but I will be surprised if we manage to avoid it completely. It's a theme this winter. Both biggest snows have melted to some degree within 12 hrs after falling. Still seems northern SEMI would get a WWA.

We have not had a problem having all snow events. in fact Christmas was like true mid winter with blowing and drifting, temps near 20 and low wind chills. but as you said, melting begins soon after (1-2 days)

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I believe RC mentioned this in his afd last night.  Notice the more showery/convective look to the echoes as the dry slot approaches.  Question is how much it can swing into areas cold enough aloft for snow.

18Z-20210125_HRRRNIL_prec_radar-3-12-50-100.gif.931a0fe1cc987309e60ec1b59ec138ef.gif

From LOT:" AT THE  
LEADING EDGE OF THE DRYSLOT, STEEP LAPSE RATES WILL COMPETE WITH  
DIMINISHING HIGH-LEVEL MOISTURE. IF MOISTURE REMAINS IN SUFFICIENT  
SUPPLY, CONVECTIVE-TYPE SNOW WOULD CONTINUE TO BE POSSIBLE AFTER  
MIDNIGHT AND ACT TO LOCALLY ENHANCE TOTALS, BUT THIS REMAINS   
LOWER CONFIDENCE AT THIS TIME.  "