Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

LR Telleconnections for Feb show a real tendency for a Neg Nao Neg EPO. After the storm which maybe a Heather event based on telles, expect a mild couple of days then we dig back in for the duration of Feb with the 2nd and 3rd weeks seemingly prime storm and snow chances.

We ride the line I think with a Greenland ridge and -EPO. Beware.

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

LR Telleconnections for Feb show a real tendency for a Neg Nao Neg EPO. After the storm which maybe a Heather event based on telles, expect a mild couple of days then we dig back in for the duration of Feb with the 2nd and 3rd weeks seemingly prime storm and snow chances.

Ray says Heather does not exist in the back half of a mod nina which I disagreed with...so we’ll see who’s weenie was right.

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Ray says Heather does not exist in the back half of a mod nina which I disagreed with...so we’ll see who’s weenie was right.

It would be a first for me....perhaps Will can rattle one off. This does look like about as a good a shot as you will see, though.

Remember....I am still expecting greater than 30" of snow IMBY, so I'm not exactly saying that winter is over, either....I just think you are going to have a hard time landing a truly big fish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It would be a first for me....perhaps Will can rattle one off. This does look like about as a good a shot as you will see, though.

Remember....I am still expecting greater than 30" of snow IMBY, so I'm not exactly saying that winter is over, either....I just think you are going to have a hard time landing a truly big fish.

Fair enough, understood. This could still crap out too so I’m not spiking anything yet. Let’s get it inside d3/4 with the big potential still on the board.

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Fair enough, understood. This could still crap out too so I’m not spiking anything yet. Let’s get it inside d3/4 with the big potential still on the board.

Remember the trend all season, which is typical of mod strong la nina....guidance tries to model a very big east coast storm, only to have it trend more moderately within the final 72-96 hours, as models are more able to aptly resolve the inherent difficulty of achieving a proficient phase with a fast-flow, mod la nina regime.

We just saw this happen to the mid atl (it is phasing, but later)....better shot with latitude, but still going to be tough.

Nothing wrong with that....we would all take a 6-8" snowfall about now, but just acknowledging this.

I think the realistic ceiling  here will end up like 6-10", maybe 8-14" type deal....big dump, but nothing anyone, apart from Will, is going to recall five years from now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What is wrong with that? Do you mean its just a finger ridge, and not a bonafide block?

Your wish for more qpf looks to come true, we ride the line which in Feb is good. IMHO this Arctic outbreak coming up definitely helps SSTs and general cyrosphere across our Northern states.

• Like 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Your wish for more qpf looks to come true, we ride the line which in Feb is good. IMHO this Arctic outbreak coming up definitely helps SSTs and general cyrosphere across our Northern states.

Yea, I will gamble with this. If we get a big February, I think your Jan 2011 call still has merit. It is beyond difficult to accurately predict a pattern several months out, never mind the precise timing of it....then to have it result in the literal forecast sensible appeal, as far as snowfall amounts.....heh, yeesh.

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What is wrong with that? Do you mean its just a finger ridge, and not a bonafide block?

I just mean the SE ridge comes in with that look of a -EPO. So we need some blocking or it's Bengal Tigers and Mai Tais.  I do think it is active, so potential is there for some fun.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Yup.  We're finally looking to establish a solid barcoclinic zone which should aid in more cohesive storm development.  Risk for cutters is still there though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I just mean the SE ridge comes in with that look of a -EPO. So we need some blocking or it's Bengal Tigers and Mai Tais.  I do think it is active, so potential is there for some fun.

Well, you said Greenland ridge and -EPO....so that is neg NAO and neg EPO, which is why I was wondering why you were ambivalent....

I agree.....neg NAO is game changer....that goes, and you have my forecast Feb, which is no fun. Just a hunch, but I still feel like we would steal some decent snow, though.

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yup.  We're finally looking to establish a solid barcoclinic zone which should aid in more cohesive storm development.  Risk for cutters is still there though.

Hopefully my latitude finally pays some dividends. I know its not much of a difference from Wilmington, but you would be shocked at how often mother nature has  managed to shove that extra 10-12 mi of latitude up my rear, since I moved here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, you said Greenland ridge and -EPO....so that is neg NAO and neg EPO, which is why I was wondering why you were ambivalent....

I agree.....neg NAO is game changer....that goes, and you have my forecast Feb, which is no fun. Just a hunch, but I still feel like we would steal some decent snow, though.

Greenland ridge, yes. I'd probably want it closer to the Davis Straits with that look, but I certainly won't scoff at it. 

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think we see a warmer couple of days with some showers quick precip then we reset for a very active period. Pretty common in Feb before a good period.  There is plenty of cold air as Bob alluded to. Good times. First things first though.  

How about another Feb 2009 - nothing thru the 18th except one cutter, then 2 storms worth 33" in 5 days.  :weenie:

• Like 1