Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

euro looks like a thump is coming at 168 but will most likely change to mix based on the high

NOTHING has ended up as far north as it looked at 150-200 hours out this winter...so I am fine with that look right now.  Remember the storm that might miss us mostly to the south this week was mostly an ice storm a few days ago.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

NOTHING has ended up as far north as it looked at 150-200 hours out this winter...so I am fine with that look right now.  Remember the storm that might miss us mostly to the south this week was mostly an ice storm a few days ago.  

We may need to start hoping things start north of us so after the eventual south trend we are in good shape lol.

2 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Arctic air looks muted.  Our coldest day now just looks like a fairly typical cold day.  

GFS and Euro swapped places for Monday lol. But yeah the core of the cold is definitely sticking to our west. Handling of TPV is going to cause some chaos for sure, but still seems like the stage is set for multiple frozen events coupled with at least some cold, even if not arctic. 

Just now, WVclimo said:

That day 7 storm starts with temps in the northern Shenandoah Valley in the mid-teens.  Never gets to freezing for the duration with 1.00"+ QPF.

Was just going to post this. Major ice storm for areas N+W of DC 

Edit - as is a crippling ice storm for the 81 corridor.

4 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Arctic air looks muted.  Our coldest day now just looks like a fairly typical cold day.  

do you want arctic air or snow?   In this pattern the storms will be riding the boundary so you can't really get both.  If we end up deep into the arctic air it will be dry.  We want to be along the cold boundary not deep into it.  Granted...the fail scenario is if somehow these waves all continue to miss us north or south...that would be epic someone in here did something awful to offend the snow gods kind of stuff...but still the solution to our problems is not to see the arctic air settle in over top of us if we want to get storms.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

do you want arctic air or snow?   In this pattern the storms will be riding the boundary so you can't really get both.  If we end up deep into the arctic air it will be dry.  We want to be along the cold boundary not deep into it.  Granted...the fail scenario is if somehow these waves all continue to miss us north or south...that would be epic someone in here did something awful to offend the snow gods kind of stuff...but still the solution to our problems is not to see the arctic air settle in over top of us if we want to get storms.  

I'm not particularly invested in the arctic, just noting the output on the Euro.  If I had to choose though I'd say both hahaha.  Gimme a big storm followed by arctic air.  

7 minutes ago, Ji said:

so much for the H locking into place during -NAO. Where is our 50/50 low?

Our window is as the TPV slides across to our north.  But we need the western trough to cut UNDER it.  Instead the Euro has it hang out and wait for the TPV to exit then it cuts.  Unfortunately if the western trough doesn't kick east and hangs out until after the TPV exits there is a gap there for it to amplify to our west and cut before the blocking pattern reloads.  It's way too far out though to worry about yet.  There will be a lot of cold in the way and my gut says it adjusts south because of that.  This is the type of setup we dont need PERFECT to get a result.  

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I was just going to say this. We've had modeled cutters from 10 days out that have become harmless waves that end up flitting off the NC coast. And there's this week's storm, as you mentioned - modeled as a crippling ice storm that is washing out as we get closer.

No global model - no matter how good - is going to nail a medium-range threat (let alone a long-range one) this season. We should all have accepted that by now given the past as precedent.

@stormtracker Yea except this is still our mean snowfall on the GEFS which is actually a slight improvement over the last run. 

Next16days.thumb.png.8718dee3cc0d6eddc2764666233acc87.png

I still think it would take some monumental bad luck to not score at least one flush hit from one of these waves.  There are going to be like 5 or 6 (maybe more) opportunities in the next 2-3 weeks.  But yea...the luck near DC and Baltimore has been so bad lately I totally get the frustration.  I really hope this first wave holds...and gets a flush hit for DC/Baltimore so we can relax some and enjoy the pattern once the ice is broken.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@stormtracker Yea except this is still our mean snowfall on the GEFS which is actually a slight improvement over the last run. 

I still think it would take some monumental bad luck to not score at least one flush hit from one of these waves.  There are going to be like 5 or 6 (maybe more) opportunities in the next 2-3 weeks.  But yea...the luck near DC and Baltimore has been so bad lately I totally get the frustration.  I really hope this first wave holds...and gets a flush hit for DC/Baltimore so we can relax some and enjoy the pattern once the ice is broken.  

I agree. Looking at the main models, there just seems to be a plethora of opportunities. Better to score early, then the rest is gravy, and who doesn't like gravy.

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not sure that’s good news lol

I had ten straight hours of freezing rain with temps in the teens in College Park, MD on 1/17/1994.  Still one of the wildest weather anomalies I have ever experienced.  Everything was caked in ice, both vertical and horizontal surfaces.

36 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You new here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1