Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

47 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Feb 15 was the extreme example. We keep taking giant hits off the no snow for you pipe all winter while parts of the NE looked like Jackson Hole. But that arctic front and "super squall" flipped the switch HARD. Could do no wrong afterwards. It wasnt even a "prime pattern" as it was ripping fast progressive and almost entirely EPO driven. Give us 5 of those winters in a row and we'd be lucky if 2 were solid. Unless you like ice of course. I do but only a foot or more. 

Wx loves to embed winning and losing streaks. It's just how it is. There is basically no such thing as a smooth "climo winter". I'd prefer one of course but a hot streak is better when they happen. 

We had a streak of pretty good years from 2010-2016, which was rather unusual for this area. I’m just happy to get 2 WSW for 2 weeks in a row. I think the last time Fairfax had more than 3” was the Bob Chill storm of 2019... or was it 18.... Regardless. The past 4 years have been awful, but I’m feeling good about the rest of February.  

2 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

We had a streak of pretty good years from 2010-2016, which was rather unusual for this area. I’m just happy to get 2 WSW for 2 weeks in a row. I think the last time Fairfax had more than 3” was the Bob Chill storm of 2019... or was it 18.... Regardless. The past 4 years have been awful, but I’m feeling good about the rest of February.  

Man, I loved that 2019 storm so much. 11". My own personal jackpot and an unexpected one at that. The problem is my yard only gets a personal jackpot a few times a decade so I'm kinda fooked for a while rn

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a decent difference compared to the 0z Euro wrt how the PV lobe presses down on the Central/Western US. It's a fair bit more east compared to 0z, and it's also more elongated (which I'm not sure if that had any effects with the ridge or surface depiction for us, but some of the more slightly strung out solutions for that had less of a ridge pump up so I'd imagine it's a positive). Good trends that were pointed out by the 6z EPS too. Would love to see that continue, but the ensembles haven't handled the PV aspect well.. at all. 

Just now, losetoa6 said:

This cold looks legit.  Temps at start low mid 20s and stay between 20-26 for several hours while the waa snows on us .

Nice look for sure. Let's see if the overrunning snow gets stronger. Right now its generally light to moderate on both GFS and Euro. Like to see a nice strong moisture feed into the cold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Nice look for sure. Let's see if the overrunning snow gets stronger. Right now its generally light to moderate on both GFS and Euro. Like to see a nice strong moisture feed into the cold.

Agree 1000%. Overrunning is "boring" in some ways because the only mechanism for boom is time under the feed. Otoh, overrunning is low stress, (relatively) easy to track, and rarely gets rug pulled in the closing 48 hours on in. Maybe my memory is selective but I swear up and down the 70s & 80s bread and butter snow was 2-4/3-6 overrunning events. I remember watching old school 16k resolution radar tracking the "green feed" right from the smokey mtns to my yard. I'm in on some redux on that stuff

• Like 8
  • Weenie 1

I'm very intrigued by next weekend. A ton of cold on the GFS in particular and something maybe coming up out of the Gulf after the midweek event. Canadian and Euro ops aren't as on board with the cold and keep it out west, especially the Canadian, but their ensembles are much more favorable to it. H5 look needs a lot of work, but maybe there's time.

7 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

could be a pretty massive ice storm down in VA...

Also,  Half inch of ice up near Allentown on top of all the snow they’ve had and will get sounds pretty terrible to me. That’d be wild. 

I’ve been watching carefully. Been years since central va has got a bad ice storm. Not a fan especially if it’s going to be cold. In 94 we had bad ice. No power for three days. Folks just to our north west almost 2 weeks. 

I'm sure this has been touched on in the last week because we always talk about it when arctic boundaries wobble around nearby but deep cold (especially with blocking) kinda sucks. Playing with fire is what we want. Sure, clean storms with long duration snowpack is unlikely but so is bluebird teens and single digits for days on end. 

We've seen a quite a few mid/lr arctic blasts on models last 5 years and very few of them verified with the depth and staying power as shown out in time. Hard to think the next week or so will be any different

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Eps with a healthy mean fr end  snow hit for midweek 

Maybe I'm greedy but...you'd hope we can get a chance for something more than front end the next couple weeks...I mean shoot, we're still overdue for a footer. If great blocking in Feb can't give ya that...not sure what will. I mean 3-6" events are nice, and had we not been so long with our a big snow, I'd more readily take it (but I'll still take it). But those kind of events...I'm not sure they produce more than advisories half the time (in the cities, anyway) unless they go boom. Again, nice scenery, and snow is still snow...but man I'd like a bona-fide warning or two at least. Been so long!

• Like 2

CPC d8/11+ analogs are promising. I like seeing VDay 2007 popping up consistently. Ended up a sleetbomb for many but I'll take a repeat of that setup all day and the day after that. Mixed bag on both d8/11+ but it's not too weenie to focus on the good ones because the upper air pattern is as good as it gets really. 

500hgt_comp_sup610.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

CPC d8/11+ analogs are promising. I like seeing VDay 2007 popping up consistently. Ended up a sleetbomb for many but I'll take a repeat of that setup all day and the day after that. Mixed bag on both d8/11+ but it's not too weenie to focus on the good ones because the upper air pattern is as good as it gets really. 

500hgt_comp_sup610.gif

I would truly think,  and hope, that based on the pattern at some point during the next 15 days we will have an all snow event with high ratio snowfall.