Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

5 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Forgot about that one

I made out ok in SECT with that one, about 10" but anyone from DC -> NYC was royally effed.  The Gov of CT had all interstates closed to trucks for a day while...basically nothing happened. Storm was slow to wind up and jackpot was way far north into NE in the end IIRC.  Feet of snow for some ended up a few inches and lots of slot.  

7 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I made out ok in SECT with that one, about 10" but anyone from DC -> NYC was royally effed.  The Gov of CT had all interstates closed to trucks for a day while...basically nothing happened. Storm was slow to wind up and jackpot was way far north into NE in the end IIRC.  Feet of snow for some ended up a few inches and lots of slot.  

Yeah absolute disaster in Queens. IIRC 2-3' ended up as 2-3"

9 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I’m amazed everyone remembers this one. It’s such a classic. We planned a snowmobiling weekend in the southern tier and expected a foot plus of snow. We got a few flurries.  People were so confused, they kept thinking the storm was still coming...I was trying to tell them it was over. I was actually studying at Brockport at the time so we got to do a post mortem on it. It’s when I first learned about the tricky nature of the coastal transfer. I’ve never trusted them since. 

• Like 1

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

We aren’t even getting 1.3” in solid form, lolol. Some of these maps are smoking that sticky icky this AM. 

Seriously Delta? You don’t think we see an inch? Lol. Euro has been upping the ante for 36 hours. NAM buckled. Canadian products all show it. I think someone in the finger lakes region sees a major snow storm. I give Syracuse a better chance than Rochester but there is a conveyor wrap headed west. Just how far!?!

Just now, rochesterdave said:

Seriously Delta? You don’t think we see an inch? Lol. Euro has been upping the ante for 36 hours. NAM buckled. Canadian products all show it. I think someone in the finger lakes region sees a major snow storm. I give Syracuse a better chance than Rochester but there is a conveyor wrap headed west. Just how far!?!

I’m using a little hyperbole because that map was just ridiculous.  Probably 2-3 inches here, probably from the secondary. I honestly don’t see it with a storm that far south and then that wrapped up on the coast. It’s just bad for us in far wny. Still a lot of this forum in play. Just not kROC 

Given the continued model spread for this period, just made
incremental changes to POPS and snow amounts, adjusting POPS higher
and a little farther westward late Monday night through Wednesday.
Also adjusted snow amounts a little higher and a little farther
west, essentially a compromise solution between the ECMWF/GEM idea
and the GFS, and close to WPC guidance and multi-model ensembles.
Continued mention in the HWO for accumulating snow for this time
period for the Genesee Valley eastward. Watch/Warning criteria
snowfall is a possibility if the ECMWF/GEM verify, but confidence is
not high enough in this scenario yet for a watch given the
uncertainty.

10 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I’m amazed everyone remembers this one. It’s such a classic. We planned a snowmobiling weekend in the southern tier and expected a foot plus of snow. We got a few flurries.  People were so confused, they kept thinking the storm was still coming...I was trying to tell them it was over. I was actually studying at Brockport at the time so we got to do a post mortem on it. It’s when I first learned about the tricky nature of the coastal transfer. I’ve never trusted them since. 

Yeah it was mega hyped pre storm. The Superstorm of 1993 was still a somewhat recent event in people's memories.  It Seemed locked in for a couple of days...and then reality happened.  I also don't trust Miller B's ever since then.  Frankly, if SYR to ROC bag 4-6" from this I'd walk away considering it a win.

• Like 2

So BUF managed to break double digits for Jan snowfall thanks to the 2” of cotton balls that fell the last few days. Finished at 10” for the month, 20” below 30” average. 13” fell last Jan, so the last 2 Jan’s combined are still 7” below normal. Have to think the 10” this month is top 10 lowest...?

Hope I’m wrong, but I would be very surprised if BUF breaks an inch with this next system. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

So BUF managed to break double digits for Jan snowfall thanks to the 2” of cotton balls that fell the last few days. Finished at 10” for the month, 20” below 30” average. 13” fell last Jan, so the last 2 Jan’s combined are still 7” below normal. Have to think the 10” this month is top 10 lowest...?

Hope I’m wrong, but I would be very surprised if BUF breaks an inch with this next system. 

Get ready to be surprised. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, 96blizz said:

18z EPS. 

don’t sleep on it yet. It’s trending back to a stalled and occluding low that spirals bands NW...  Long shot but ya never know!

D44D908E-F588-4779-9D9E-6B026418A9B0.png

This is when things started!  How far we have come since Friday evening!!

”Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.”

- Colin Powell

• Like 2