Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
If you could live anywhere in New England

TalcottWx

3 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

Deep in Nebraska Notch in the Stowe area. ~200" per year, thousands of acres of BC skiing right out the door, 15 minutes or less to downtown Stowe/Waterbury and less than 45 to Burlington. Great MTB and golf in the area as well with awesome summers/relatively low humidity compared to down south. 

You could get some of that cheaper at Bolton Valley couldn’t you?

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

You could get some of that cheaper at Bolton Valley couldn’t you?

A condo for a 2nd home type situation, sure. But if we're talking primary residence for an extended period of time, I'm trying to buy land and build. Having said that, not sure how much land is available in that area. This is a hypothetical exercise after all. 

From a pure weather standpoint, it would be a tough call between the outer Cape, likely Truro/N. Truro, or somewhere up in the Whites or western Maine mountains. I've casually looked for places around the Chatham NH/Evans Notch area. From a family/lifestyle perspective, I like where I'm at in the NH seacoast.

The thing I love about the outer Cape, is how warm the water is on the bayside. From about Brewster (perhaps just west of there too) to Wellfleet has some of the warmest near shore water you can imagine. It's so shallow there, so it bakes in the sun. Plus there are tons of little lazy river features where you can plop your float in one of the marsh rivers and gently flow in and out depending on the tide. You have the amazing bike trails too for biking, running etc. Lots of various outdoor activities other than the beach and obviously the seafood. Epic sunsets there. It took me until 2016 to appreciate this. 

This was back in 2016. Just incredible sunsets and to me, something so close that seems so far.

image.thumb.png.4fd0aa7b1d837f0db09c42ae449e1e8d.png

• Like 6

On 1/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, MRVexpat said:

Deep in Nebraska Notch in the Stowe area. ~200" per year, thousands of acres of BC skiing right out the door, 15 minutes or less to downtown Stowe/Waterbury and less than 45 to Burlington. Great MTB and golf in the area as well with awesome summers/relatively low humidity compared to down south. 

I was just thinking about Nebraska notch last week, used to go up there from the Underhill side in college in the mid-90s.  Back then I rarely saw anybody up there.

• Like 1

I like my location in southern Vermont. Good snow and not terribly far from the big cities: 1.5 hours to Albany, 2 to Hartford, 3 to Boston, and 4 to NYC. Plus, all of the cultural and outdoor recreational options of the Berkshires and southern Vermont are nearby. I definitely tend to feel this part of New England is sometimes overlooked and unappreciated, especially by the Boston crowd. Connecticut and NYC area people are well represented here though.

7 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

I like my location in southern Vermont. Good snow and not terribly far from the big cities: 1.5 hours to Albany, 2 to Hartford, 3 to Boston, and 4 to NYC. Plus, all of the cultural and outdoor recreational options of the Berkshires and southern Vermont are nearby. I definitely tend to feel this part of New England is sometimes overlooked and unappreciated, especially by the Boston crowd. Connecticut and NYC area people are well represented here though.

Beautiful area but that would be my fall winter spring spot. Too far from the Ocean for me ayways.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Just going anecdotally from license plates--NJ to me is far and way most represented here, then CT and NY.   Mass/PA and then a hodgepodge of everything in between.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Just going anecdotally from license plates--NJ to me is far and way most represented here, then CT and NY.   Mass/PA and then a hodgepodge of everything in between.

New Jersey tags are plentiful as well, particularly up around Wilmington and Mt. Snow. They're the worst drivers though...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Disregarding my fantasy solutions, as far as actual places, with possible jobs I would like:  Burlington VT and Portland ME.

In the city or east (BTV) and west (PWM)?  I'm definitely not an urban-preference person - my college years in BWI and BGR confirmed that opinion.  :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

New Jersey tags are plentiful as well, particularly up around Wilmington and Mt. Snow. They're the worst drivers though...

We are not lol. At least most of us aren't, including me. We just know how to drive so we're very aggressive around others, mainly Mass drivers ;). After living in NE for almost half my life I've come to realize this lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, BombsAway1288 said:

We are not lol. At least most of us aren't, including me. We just know how to drive so we're very aggressive around others, mainly Mass drivers ;). After living in NE for almost half my life I've come to realize this lol.

Cutting across 5 lanes of the GSP just to pass folks on the right is certainly aggressive and probably exhibits skill, but I wouldn't (didn't) look at that as a positive.  ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Cutting across 5 lanes of the GSP just to pass folks on the right is certainly aggressive and probably exhibits skill, but I wouldn't (didn't) look at that as a positive.  ;)

Of course there's a fine line between aggressive and being stupid like that. At that point, they're asking for a ticket haha.

On the subject of this tread, I always believed the area in SWNH from like Dover down to Leominster Mass area always would cash in big on a coastal. Also, almost always cold enough to be on the good side of the R/S line.