Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Seems like a mild but very infectious form of the virus is what is spreading now. Everyone is getting it but the vast majority are not really getting very sick. Herd immunity is probably getting close. 

Hospitilizations have been dropping which is good.  Deaths still more that I would have thought.

Herd immunity is still probably a number of months away but between those already having it and vaccinated, it is getting closer faster

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Get some durian from an Asian food store. If you can't smell that you can't smell anything. Maybe it would restimulate your senses. lol

When I was a freshman, there was a horrendous smell in our dorm one day. We called Security because we thought it was a gas leak. They assured us we didn't have gas in the building, but sent somebody out to investigate anyway. The tech walked in the hall and said, "Holy shit! There is a gas leak!" We evacuated while they investigated. Long story short, there was an Asian kid on the hall upstairs who had shipped in some durian and left the remains in his trash can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perfect snow day for the kids to play in. Bluebird skies and temps not terribly cold. But not warm enough to make the snow all mushy. Still powder on that top layer 

image.jpeg.cd11b339ffb5cb3ec2114527f972628a.jpeg

My youngest was unable to climb the snow bank on our driveway. Lol. At least the Feb sun angle has melted it down and dried it out to bare pavement. It was like that by sunset yesterday. 

image.jpeg.ac91d7ee809fe12ed096d3b594d740c4.jpeg

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hospitilizations have been dropping which is good.  Deaths still more that I would have thought.

Herd immunity is still probably a number of months away but between those already having it and vaccinated, it is getting closer faster

There are a lot of very ill older people in this country and even mild COVID is enough to kill them. Many, many Americans are in an appalling state of health. Hopefully this virus will be a wake up call for them to stop smoking, drinking heavily, doing drugs, eating fast food every day, etc. But I doubt it. 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There are a lot of very ill older people in this country and even mild COVID is enough to kill them. Many, many Americans are in an appalling state of health. Hopefully this virus will be a wake up call for them to stop smoking, drinking heavily, doing drugs, eating fast food every day, etc. But I doubt it. 

It’s hard to predict.  Our 90 year old neighbor with COPD and a host of other underlying conditions got covid, was hospitalized in the ICU but survived and is home.    Also, with regard to the California vs Florida argument it makes sense in a way.  Older people tend to be a lot more careful with covid, social distancing, masking etc.   We’ll be there by the weekend and see for ourselves but everything I’m hearing says the oldsters are being pretty careful while in California the younger folks don’t give as much of a shit.

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Perfect snow day for the kids to play in. Bluebird skies and temps not terribly cold. But not warm enough to make the snow all mushy. Still powder on that top layer 

image.jpeg.cd11b339ffb5cb3ec2114527f972628a.jpeg

My youngest was unable to climb the snow bank on our driveway. Lol. At least the Feb sun angle has melted it down and dried it out to bare pavement. It was like that by sunset yesterday. 

image.jpeg.ac91d7ee809fe12ed096d3b594d740c4.jpeg

That’s awesome. I’ve got a few from yesterday but can’t upload. Great times weeniening out with the kids outside though...brings me back to my childhood a bit.

• Like 1

One thing I heard about is monoclonal antibodies are working really well.   You may recall that Trump had those and recovered quickly from being pretty sick.   Chris Christie and Donald Trump are kind of poster boys for high risk individuals but both recovered fairly fast.   These are now readily available and in some poorer rural communities they are being used with good success.

54 minutes ago, kevin1927 said:

Done it once in summer and also early October. The October climb was probably the latest I had climbed in the whites and had some snow showers/squalls by the time we got back to the car. Could have been a dicey descent. I was a little concerned with the couple that were up there in shorts and a wind breaker.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s hard to predict.  Our 90 year old neighbor with COPD and a host of other underlying conditions got covid, was hospitalized in the ICU but survived and is home.    Also, with regard to the California vs Florida argument it makes sense in a way.  Older people tend to be a lot more careful with covid, social distancing, masking etc.   We’ll be there by the weekend and see for ourselves but everything I’m hearing says the oldsters are being pretty careful while in California the younger folks don’t give as much of a shit.

Vitamin D is also a key in general terms, I think. Not a magic cure or anything but I think there is correlation between being low and being more likely to have a serious COVID infection. 

Anyone here have that new Davis AirLink? PM10 and PM2.5 doesn't exactly get my jollies off, but I'm tempted to get one anyway because, well...why not?

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/pro2-integrated-sensor-suite-upgrades-and-add-ons/preorder-davis-7210-airlink-professional-air-quality-sensor/

Just curious if anyone here has it yet and how well it performs.

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I figured, usually cool foggy and misty right? Are there any nice days there in the late spring?

It all depends. A humid srly flow may mean low clouds and fog, but you get those nice westerly and northwest flow days and it’s perfect. So it’s sort of a gamble. July and August are best. 

Yet fauci says masks till next year. F that. Not for me. Seems like every time there is some good news, fauci has to throw water on the fire. He needs to put a sock in it for awhile.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Yet fauci says masks till next year. F that. Not for me. Seems like every time there is some good news, fauci has to throw water on the fire. He needs to put a sock in it for awhile.

I’m guessing he is going worse case. Probably will end faster than that.  Plus it is up to local governors etc to decide that. 

Trust me, I’m not a fan of wearing them, especially in my line of work, but I’m willing to until this is at a really low baseline.  Mass has gotten state 7 day average positive to 1.8% or so which is fantastic.  It is burning  itself out 

I’m guessing he is going worse case. Probably will end faster than that.  Plus it is up to local governors etc to decide that. 

Trust me, I’m not a fan of wearing them, especially in my line of work, but I’m willing to until this is at a really low baseline.  Mass has gotten state 7 day average positive to 1.8% or so which is fantastic.  It is burning  itself out 
Treading lightly since we're not supposed to talk covid, but please define a "really low baseline". Your interpretation or mine is meaningless. Govt has their own metric and it seems until the last person on earth is covid free, we're stuck with some restrictions. In this case, forever.

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Treading lightly since we're not supposed to talk covid, but please define a "really low baseline". Your interpretation or mine is meaningless. Govt has their own metric and it seems until the last person on earth is covid free, we're stuck with some restrictions. In this case, forever.

Not really sure.  Under 0.5% positive for a few weeks?   Other countries have done it. Australia for example.  People are going to live Broadway theater there and they are just starting to vaccinate

Not apples to apples but general idea.   I don’t think we are too far from it

• Like 1

Here's a good reason not to have a variable rate utility plan:

"Royce Pierce and his wife, Danielle, who live in Willow Park, west of Dallas, have been watching their electricity bill tick up by nearly $10,000 in the last few days for their three-bedroom home. While the family told NBC News they consider themselves lucky because they’ve had power, the financial burden has come with additional challenges.

Since the family is on a variable rate plan with Griddy, the company automatically debits the bill as they use electricity. Danielle said she closed the debit card connected to their electricity bill because Griddy wiped it out. The family has been using separate accounts and credit cards to pay for necessities as the storm goes on."

Also, another good reason not to have your bills paid automatically to your debit or credit card. 

• Like 1