Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

It seems like PSU is the mood ring of the storm thread.  If he's happy about model runs, thats the general consensus.  If he's panic'd about suppression, the mood follows.  

It's because he's very knowledgeable.  I don't say that to be snarky, it's just true.  When someone of his level of understanding gets nervous, it tends to affect what everyone else might think.  If the typical weenies freak out, it's easier to "ignore" that panic.  The other end of the scale sort of might be someone like Bob Chill.  Very knowledgeable as well.  But he was a lot more "Zen", and though he of course wanted his yard to jackpot (we all want ours to do so, LOL!), he was always of the "chips fall" attitude, as he would say.  He usually would say stuff like "well, Mappy and PSU land will do well with this event, but I'll be fine with my 2" slush brick here in MoCo" or something like that.  I'm sure he'd be disappointed inside, but rarely "let it out" unless he was being obviously humorous.  I don't think I've seen a time that he ever "melted down."

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

It's because he's very knowledgeable.  I don't say that to be snarky, it's just true.  When someone of his level of understanding gets nervous, it tends to affect what everyone else might think.  If the typical weenies freak out, it's easier to "ignore" that panic.  The other end of the scale sort of might be someone like Bob Chill.  Very knowledgeable as well.  But he was a lot more "Zen", and though he of course wanted his yard to jackpot (we all want ours to do so, LOL!), he was always of the "chips fall" attitude, as he would say.  He usually would say stuff like "well, Mappy and PSU land will do well with this event, but I'll be fine with my 2" slush brick here in MoCo" or something like that.  I'm sure he'd be disappointed inside, but rarely "let it out" unless he was being obviously humorous.

Spot on.  My post was definitely tongue in cheek/not serious.  He's smart AF and one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Spot on.  My post was definitely tongue in cheek/not serious.  He's smart AF and one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.  

I figured you probably were being a little snarky.  And I agree, he's extremely smart and knows this s*it very well.  I know some complain about his mini-dissertations, but I actually like his descriptions and the plots he shows...especially for the longer range pattern stuff.  Plethora of information!  But it can make people get very concerned when someone like him gets outwardly nervous, because he knows a lot.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, yoda said:

Huh?  They will be hoisted in this afternoon's package

Not to pick on yoda, in particular, because others do it a lot, but I've never understood the need throw in stuff like "Huh?" in this context. Why can't people ease up on the passive aggressiveness? Just say "It probably won't be that long. They'll probably be hoisted in this afternoon's package."

I don't know...maybe it's because managing communication is a huge part of my job, but it just really bugs me.

• Like 2

Just now, mattie g said:

Not to pick on yoda, in particular, because others do it a lot, but I've never understood the need throw in stuff like "Huh?" in this context. Why can't people ease up on the passive aggressiveness? Just say "It probably won't be that long. They'll probably be hoisted in this afternoon's package."

I don't know...maybe it's because managing communication is a huge part of my job, but it just really bugs me.

k.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, mattie g said:

What? Are you saying there is something wrong there? :whistle:

5 minutes ago, chris21 said:

The higher elevations in Highland County warm up quickly with WAA, often resulting in elevation based ice storms in these setups. I use to live a few miles west of there in Marlinton, WV.

Looked up Marlinton to see where it was, and saw this on the Wikipedia page:

Marlinton is named for Jacob Marlin, who, along with Stephen Sewell, became the first non-native settlers west of the Allegheny Mountains, in the Greenbrier Valley in 1749. New Englanders Marlin and Sewell built a cabin in what would become Marlinton, but after various religious disputes, Sewell moved into a nearby hollowed-out sycamore tree.   :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Looked up Marlinton to see where it was, and saw this on the Wikipedia page:

Marlinton is named for Jacob Marlin, who, along with Stephen Sewell, became the first non-native settlers west of the Allegheny Mountains, in the Greenbrier Valley in 1749. New Englanders Marlin and Sewell built a cabin in what would become Marlinton, but after various religious disputes, Sewell moved into a nearby hollowed-out sycamore tree.   :lol:

'tis true!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic