• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    allwebpost
    Newest Member
    allwebpost

January 2021

44 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I will say that Rockies ridge after day 10 does have legs. That would be why the EPS was trying for action. It also leads into Feb which for now, does not look to be starting as a typical Feb Nina. It’s frustrating as hell for someone like me as we roll snake eyes, but eventually one or more of these should work out. 

Yep. We get to keep rolling the dice...as long as you are rolling you have a chance. As I mentioned earlier, frustrating to keep missing recently but can’t fold the tent yet with that look. 

• Like 1

Wintry here in Chicagoland.  Temps where we’re staying in the upper 20s this afternoon with about an inch or so of snow otg.  Makes a big difference having wintry appeal.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

For me it's worth the drive just to see the smiles and excitement.  This was at Dutch Hill near Mitch in Readsboro, VT.  About 1 hour and 30 minute drive.  

IMG_20210117_122602048.jpg

Are you the one on the top left?

• Like 1

Just now, weathafella said:

Wintry here in Chicagoland.  Temps where we’re staying in the upper 20s this afternoon with about an inch or so of snow otg.  Makes a big difference having wintry appeal.   

Deeper then anyone in SNE in over a month 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Deeper then anyone in SNE in over a month 

I guess the Berks aren't SNE? Foot of depth >2000'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Honestly they’re really not SNE no 

Don't the southern end of the Berks extend into CT. Saying this is like saying Cape Cod and the south coast isn't SNE cuz its in the low 70s while you are 91

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't the southern end of the Berks extend into CT. Saying this is like saying Cape Cod and the south coast isn't SNE cuz its in the low 70s while you are 91

Semantically ok sure parts of Berks geographically defined fit in the definition. But calling 1500-2800foot mountains SNE is a stretch . 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

Snow cover gets pretty solid only a few miles west of you at 1000'.   I was up on 112 in Colrain and went all the way to Searsburg and Wilmington Vt.  Winter got progressively deeper by the mile near the MA, VT border.  Deep Winter in Southern VT.  Kids had blast sledding near Wilmington. 

IMG_20210117_134703968.jpg

Yeah, sharp E/W cutoff with last storm.  Where did the snowline start, at the border?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Man, that looked like a carbon copy of 1/12/11 in the making. Almost identical shortwave setup. Would’ve been nice to see another panel or two just for the eye candy. 

If you are holding out hope for a big fish, 1/29 offers the most hope......here is a portion of my blog from yesterday.

Perhaps the next chance for a major storm along northeast coast will be near the end of January, as heights over the western US, at least temporarily, rise.

WESTERN%2BHEIGHTS.png

Threat%2B4.png

The primary issue looks to be just how long the higher heights to the west last, as a disturbance referred to as a "kicker" looks to enter the Pacific northwest and lower heights again.
Thereafter, we watch and await the recovery of the polar vortex as we enter February-
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think in terms of sensible winter wx the NW corner of MA (N of Rt 2 W of I-91) is more CNE than SNE.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, sharp E/W cutoff with last storm.  Where did the snowline start, at the border?

Honestly there was pretty full cover on route 2 West by the time you got up the first larger hill west of 91.    Took a right turn on Greenfield road and up by Pine Hill Orchard there was already several inches .  There was probably six near the Vermont line in Colrain and about 15-18 in Wilmington, Searsburg and over towards Mitch and Readsboro. 

14 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

Honestly there was pretty full cover on route 2 West by the time you got up the first larger hill west of 91.    Took a right turn on Greenfield road and up by Pine Hill Orchard there was already several inches .  There was probably six near the Vermont line in Colrain and about 15-18 in Wilmington, Searsburg and over towards Mitch and Readsboro. 

Their sweet cider is the best!  I'm going to take a ride up that way tomorrow.  So interesting that places 10mi East of there, at similar elevation, have almost nothing. I was in Leyden today as high as 1200' and it was bare ground.

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep. We get to keep rolling the dice...as long as you are rolling you have a chance. As I mentioned earlier, frustrating to keep missing recently but can’t fold the tent yet with that look. 

This month has felt like Shaq at the free throw line...brick after brick. But eventually, one rolls around the rim a few times before dropping. 

• Haha 3

Weeklies went wild with the -AO/NAO well into February. If that is correct, we’re either in for more torture or a lot of fun. Can’t punt with that look. (Well I guess you can but it’s like punting on 4th and 2 at your opponent 40 down by 7 with 4 min to go)

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Weeklies went wild with the -AO/NAO well into February. If that is correct, we’re either in for more torture or a lot of fun. Can’t punt with that look. (Well I guess you can but it’s like punting on 4th and 2 at your opponent 40 down by 7 with 4 min to go)

1960, 63, 64, 87 all sucked

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

1960, 63, 64, 87 

Looks a lot like late January ‘69/early Feb ‘69. We got abused for like 3 weeks before the Lindsay Storm finally happened even though the pattern never really changed that much. 

I feel like one of those late month threats will pan out but maybe we just get tortured for another week or two. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Looks a lot like late January ‘69/early Feb ‘69. We got abused for like 3 weeks before the Lindsay Storm finally happened even though the pattern never really changed that much. 

I feel like one of those late month threats will pan out but maybe we just get tortured for another week or two. 

I edited, lol they all sucked

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

1960, 63, 64, 87 all sucked

I’d take Feb 63 and Feb 64...’60 was meh (though I’d gladly take it if it meant a we get a 3/3/60 repeat) and Feb ‘87 was an absolute nightmare. 

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’d take Feb 63 and Feb 64...’60 was meh (though I’d gladly take it if it meant a we get a 3/3/60 repeat) and Feb ‘87 was an absolute nightmare. 

I just only checked Boston, take a peak

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think that will be a light to mod event....29th is what I would hype.

After what we have been given over the past month, I'd take the .8-.9" of frozen qpf the GFS spit out for the 26th.  At least we wouldn't have a crappy air mass and temps are cold aloft.

• Like 1