Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

30 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

I thought it was a nina thing to get strewn-out shortwaves, no?

Niña is fast flow gradient with shortwaves getting sheared. 

Thats happening in the upcoming pattern but December and first half of this month had a lot of slow blocky flow...we actually had too many shortwaves at times starting to pile up on each other causing destructive interference which screwed us out of a couple events. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s why I haven’t been down on the first half of Feb. It looks like we may have festering -NAO for a time. Also, another 50mb warm nose punch develops near the dateline and side swings on the vortex from the dateline.  

yeah ...I'm in Will's camp ...I don't see that there's any forcing on the AO registering at present. It's still "invisible" to the models et al until that tropopause /// coupling.  If it does, and the -AO patterning favors Eurasian/Siberian conveyors ... fine - but utterly a blind dice roll for about a week to 10 days ... maybe 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep. I’d ask this question first....how many times have you had 3 subpar seasons in a row? 

I’ll bet the answer is very few. For ORH I can only think of 4 times going back to 1950. (Btw I defined “subpar” as anything below the 40th percentile...so if ORH had 64” in a season, that is considered “normal” in my classification...even though technically it is slightly below the long term mean of 69”)

1. ‘97-98 through ‘99-‘00

2 ‘88-89 through ‘91-‘92 (this is 4 consecutive...the only time)

4. ‘78-‘79 through ‘80-‘81

3. ‘52-‘53 through ‘54-‘55

So our sample size here is actually 4. If you took it at face value, that means we’d have a 1 in 4 chance of getting 4 in a row. However, we know small sample sizes aren’t representative of the longer term probability, and the chances of getting 4 in a row are actually close to 50/50 unless there is some meteorological reason to believe that the 4th season is biased toward above normal snowfall after 3 subpar seasons. I certainly cannot come to that conclusion statistically with a mere sample size of 4 trials. 

We first need to reach 3 seasons in a row. That’s far from a done deal considering many spots are actually above normal still. 

Frankly,  I don't even care to read through this, but that fact that you are agreeing with him is good enough for me. I'll defer to the fact that he is mathematically correct, but it has been a rare climatological feat over the past century or so.

That is good enough for me. I'm not saying to base an outlook on that, but if there is no overwhelming signal, then it would tip the scale for me.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s all on the other side of the pole. And with no snow cover, it won’t be getting cold unless things change. More and more things are starting to awake in terms of plant life. We’ve had zero bitter cold this winter when even our warmest winters at least have a brief shot or two. It’s been a sneaky torch. 
At this point, it’s good to start getting outdoor stuff done. Already cleaned up my backyard again. Onto the front soon.

This is why I said last month that I would pass on the SSW. If it doesn't evolve in a favorable manner, then it can ruin the entire season by bottling cold on the other side of the globe and stagnating the MJO on the worse phases....this also happened in 2019. The spontaneous ejaculations of winter enthusiasts at the mere mention of this poorly understood phenomenon needs to stop.

• Like 4

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is why I said last month that I would pass on the SSW. If it doesn't evolve in a favorable manner, then it can ruin the entire season by bottling cold on the other side of the globe and stagnating the MJO on the worse phases. The spontaneous ejaculations of winter enthusiasts at the mere mention of this poorly understood phenomenon needs to stop.

Lol...there’s a few of those poorly understood phenomena floating around the meteorological world, that some of these Twitter METS seem to hype.  

So glad I’m not on any of that sh*t, and don’t see any of that garbage.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol...there’s a few of those poorly understood phenomena floating around the meteorological world, that some of these Twitter METS seem to hype.  

Not that it can't still work out...part of me feels like February will invent ways to snow even if the pattern fades.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not that it can't still work out...part of me feels like February will invent ways to snow even if the pattern fades.

One would hope.  I agree though.  Something should pop at some point.

It’s not easy to get a shut out. Obviously it can happen, but it’s not easy to do in SNE at peak climo time coming up. 

42 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I'm with you on that.  Tip just gave me some reinforcement for never having joined the Twit idiocracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hope so, I guess I got a little excited by the twitter mets talking up this supposed blockbuster February, I know to come here for the common sense information... I just want to make the $1k of work i put in my snowmobile to have some fruits of my labor