Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s funny how a me and twitter met are essentially saying the same thing but he starts with hype so it gets noticed and weenies are flying out of zippers while I start with some caution flags so it looks like I’m a debbie downer lol.

Kinda cool to see how the approach changes perception actually.

Pretty much everything points to mid month and has for a month. Let's do this

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s funny how a me and twitter met are essentially saying the same thing but he starts with hype so it gets noticed and weenies are flying out of zippers while I start with some caution flags so it looks like I’m a debbie downer lol.

It’s all an interesting mental game. Weenies generally adhere to those posting favorable thoughts. They hate when you talk about caution flags or anything unfavorable. 

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

And that’s the Marketing of it all....gotta sell it to the (Weenies) masses.  

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s all an interesting mental game. Weenies generally adhere to those posting favorable thoughts. They hate when you talk about caution flags or anything unfavorable. 

I see that. Past couple years I’ve learned to take the caution flag approach a little more because it’s not a magic wand that makes it snow along the CP. Some seasons it feels that way...it snows when a shortwave farts east of the OV but that skews perceptions and expectations. 

I love the pattern moving forward. I’m a big block guy...but I’d like to see a little more before I start spanking it. That’s all. 

The back to back Xmas grinch and NYE grinch rainers are so annoying.....I don’t recall a more pathetic week as that.... even during last years ratter.....or that other winter - like 2007? - when I golfed in mid January.....it was like 65 degrees lol..... we better turn this S around.... and right quick

4 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

The back to back Xmas grinch and NYE grinch rainers are so annoying.....I don’t recall a more pathetic week as that.... even during last years ratter.....or that other winter - like 2007? - when I golfed in mid January.....it was like 65 degrees lol..... we better turn this S around.... and right quick

Where do you live ? You complain more than I do down here in NYC.

It sucks seeing coastal being rain but be patient.

I already got way more snow than I did last winter and I'm 3 inches above my average for December. I'm at 8 inches for the winter. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I already got way more snow than I did last winter and I'm 3 inches above my average for December. I'm at 8 inches for the winter. 

He doesn’t live on the coast lol...you’d think he did though lmao.  He lives in Central inland CT...he’s obviously doing better than you are in the snow department.  We don’t feel bad...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Death Valley CT but he has a delusion that he lives in the Sierras. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

Is today‘a storm really a “grinch” storm? Yeah it’s raining, but there’s no snow on the ground, and it’s not that warm.

Sure it’s not snow but feels more like a regular ole winter rain storm for the coastal plain, which we get often, then something I would associate as a “grinch” ruining the season storm.

Maybe it’s just me on this one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ice1972 said:

At least wait until afternoon to hit the egg nog today. It's a long night.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, CoastalWx said:

EGW

Did you see how this run breaks off a little piece of the PV around D4-5 and that actually then gets trapped in S Canada and keeps some decent cold around? You can see it sitting there just SE of Hudson Bay on the map I posted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Did you see how this run breaks off a little piece of the PV around D4-5 and that actually then gets trapped in S Canada and keeps some decent cold around? You can see it sitting there just SE of Hudson Bay on the map I posted.

I just saw now. And then we have that massive gyre there at the end. :lol: just spinning vorts on the periphery.

1 minute ago, ma blizzard said:

Was 2011 the last real big -NAO in January? Can't recall anything modeled like this in a long time 

Yes. We did have a shorter lived block in Jan 2016 but it never got as intense as current model guidance is suggesting this one could be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Much better. Having a piece of the PV on our side trapped under the block...ok ok. 

54 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That is absolute perfection there....cosmic evolution.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s a darn good look. Maybe several days earlier than I thought too. 

Many of the members must be breaking off a piece of the PV like the OP. I noticed the heights down in Ontario and our region look lower than previously. That’s obviously a good thing....even a little bit of fresh airmass enhancement goes a long ways when you have a block like that. 

A little more antecedent air can give a lot more wiggle room. Hopefully we see that trend stay on future runs.